Fun with new jointer planer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnnyEgo, Feb 9, 2019.

1. JohnnyEgo

JohnnyEgo Well-Known Member

May 17, 2017
    I spent all my disposable income for the next year on a very fancy Hammer A3-41 jointer-planer in December. Wanted to take on a small project with it to get more comfortable, and also because it is cold and I didn't want to have to do anything that would involve opening my garage door for any length of time. So a few hours over a few evenings, and I made these:

[​IMG]

Started with some hard maple, some off-cuts of Padauk I had in the scrap bin, and a rough walnut plank:
    [​IMG]

Couple trips through the jointer-planer later:
    [​IMG]

A whole lot of parts cut out of stock that was resawn and then planed to dimension:
    [​IMG]

A whole lot of clamps and glue:
    [​IMG]

And a little Danish Oil:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I have some mag stands:
    [​IMG]

I will be giving three of them as gifts to friends who also love the 1911. I really enjoyed doing this project, but it made me believe both MagSlab and Zoid grossly undercharge. I probably have $80 in wood chips and sawdust in my dust collection bin.

2. Ethank

Ethank Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Those are awesome. Very nice.

3. Gripwright

Gripwright Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2016
    Great work! I really like the contrast.

4. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Those look great! Nice work.

5. Stromburg

Stromburg Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    That’s a heck of a nice piece of equipment. I had no idea they made a jointer planer combo, I just watched a video on your exact model........very impressive.

6. JohnnyEgo

May 17, 2017
    It is the single most expensive tool I own, and like that first high-end 1911, it takes a while to get over the nerve to spend the coin, but thereafter it changes your views on both the tool and the costs. I'm already contemplating whether or not my eight year old is smart enough to get a scholarship so I can buy their N4400 bandsaw.

Appreciate the compliments, everyone. I've said this before, but it bears repeating: this site in particular, full of high end 1911s with gorgeous grips, opened up my appreciation for contrast and character to a new level beyond what 20+ years of hobby woodworking had given me. I really had no appreciation for ink-line spalting, and I usually looked at the contrast between sapwood and heartwood as a thing to be dealt with via dye and stain. You guys have really broadened my aesthetic palate.

Mike Meints and FWoo45 like this.
  7. BillKilgore

BillKilgore Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Beautiful work, Johnny.

I also prefer Tung oil or Danish oil for fine wood. Below is a letter opener that I made with a few scraps of Koa and Desert Ironwood. I have really grown fond of this combination. I bet it would make a gorgeous 1911 rack.

Koa and Ironwood.jpg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  8. Otherside

Otherside Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2019
    Gorgeous work, any plans of selling these in the future? Maybe the customer can pick his own wood,design and logo.

9. JohnnyEgo

May 17, 2017
    Thank you all so much for the compliments. That turned letter opener is beautiful.

As to selling anything I make, there's not a snowball's chance in hell. I tried my hand at professional furniture and cabinetry in college, ran my business very poorly, and ended up being worked like a rented mule for well less than minimum wage. And while most of my clients were good people, a few of them made my life miserable with unreasonable expectations and uncompensated demands. So now I only build for love or friendship, and only on my terms.

Hopefully I can get a few pictures in better light today before I box them up for the mail.

10. nmbuzz

nmbuzz Livin Large

Apr 9, 2013
    .. HELLO MY FRIEND!

ps nice shop. very clean.

limbkiller likes this.
  11. JohnnyEgo

May 17, 2017
    Couple final pictures in marginally better lighting:

Hard maple base and magazine with Padauk trim:
    [​IMG]

Similar with breadboard walnut ends. This is the one I am keeping, not because it is my favorite combination, but because this is the best mortise and tenon job I've probably ever done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My favorite color combination - Walnut base with Spalted Tamarind inlay. I am making a jewelry box for my wife in this combination, and I may try to make a couple small ammo boxes as well.
    [​IMG]

And all of them together before I split up the litter:
    [​IMG]

Kip, joerockhead, WWB and 2 others like this.
  12. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Truly beautiful work sir. I find wood too intimidating. My father and uncle are both finish carpenters. I didnt inherit the gift. I find steel much more forgiving. If I screw up I just weld and try again. My uncle says mistakes with wood are just opportunities to be creative. My father is the "just don't ef up" type. Thanks for sharing and if you need a new friend let me know. ;)

13. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Excellent work best looking stands I have seen to date...

14. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Beautiful woodwork!
    One of the things I miss most about leaving WA. & moving to AZ. is my wood shop & equipment.
    First we had to build the shop..
    Then move in the equipment...
    and then make the cabinets.... after that the fun began. ISp5hi6wpm6p4x0000000000.jpg HPIM0986.JPG View attachment 219943 HPIM1147.JPG HPIM1149.JPG HPIM1164.JPG

Kip and razorbacker like this.
  15. JohnnyEgo

May 17, 2017
    Very nice shop! I am envious of the dedicated space. I share the garage with a wife and two kids, so everything has to be mobile and anything with a flat surface has to be protected from impromptu use as a drink stand.

16. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    TheCollector likes this.
  17. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Yeah..... it didn't look that clean when I sold the place. :grin::grin:

18. razorbacker

Dec 2, 2011
    I only sweep and clean mine when I can no longer walk but have to skate from machine to machine. This is as clean as mine ever gets.;)
    shop 1.jpg shop 2.jpg

19. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    I’ve got a little challenge for you Johnny. :eek1:

7ECCBEBE-7439-45B3-B949-A4E7A60DCBB9.jpeg E7299FEF-52C7-4E6F-9F44-C2683F64E7FD.jpeg

razorbacker likes this.
  20. razorbacker

Dec 2, 2011
    Some amazing patience and skill in woodworking there. I see some wood crafted projects like that 1911, toy trucks, heavy equipment and such that are just outstanding in details.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    tac45 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted