1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a copy and paste from the ad so it's easier to read.

"Everything about this pistol is custom. Match barrel, 3lb trigger, Target sights, magwell, cerakote finish. The slide was filed down for a tighter fit. This is a 70’s era colt customized by the top 3 gunsmiths in the world. Had it made 12 years ago haven’t fired it since. I know the target sights are sought after and they don’t make them anymore. This things shoots better than any kimber of any era, or any other 1911 I promise you that! It is a dream to shoot. Have 1700$ invested, I’ll trade at a value of 1200, sell for 1,000. Primarily looking for military grade optics or a carry gun + cash. "

Where would you file down the slide for a tighter fit? Seems that would open up the tolerances anyway I can think of.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,052 Posts
Here is a copy and paste from the ad so it's easier to read.

"Everything about this pistol is custom. Match barrel, 3lb trigger, Target sights, magwell, cerakote finish. The slide was filed down for a tighter fit. This is a 70’s era colt customized by the top 3 gunsmiths in the world. Had it made 12 years ago haven’t fired it since. I know the target sights are sought after and they don’t make them anymore. This things shoots better than any kimber of any era, or any other 1911 I promise you that! It is a dream to shoot. Have 1700$ invested, I’ll trade at a value of 1200, sell for 1,000. Primarily looking for military grade optics or a carry gun + cash. "

Where would you file down the slide for a tighter fit? Seems that would open up the tolerances anyway I can think of.
He hasn't fired it in 12 years how does he know how it shoots? Who R the top 3 Gunsmith's in the WORLD? Lol not in the USA the whole WORLD lol.. This pretty hilarious and all for $1000.00 hell the laugh was dang near worth that. Haha

·
Banned
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No it was from Bayou Shooter, a Louisiana forum.

I couldn't help but post to the ad asking questions about it. One of which was Steve's question who are the top 3 gunsmiths in the WORLD that worked on it and if he had the build sheets.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I've been searching for a set of target sights like those for over twenty years. Will happily take the gun to get ahold of them...

o_O

Honestly, if money were no object I'd buy bizarre guns like this just to post about them...

·
Registered
508 Posts
I’m wondering if it was worked on by ONE OF the top 3 gunsmiths in the world or if ALL THREE of them worked on it!!?

IN THE WORLD!!!!

·
I do not consent.
1,428 Posts
Well, I wish I had a comment. But I just can't figure out what to say...

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
5,015 Posts
I’m wondering if it was worked on by ONE OF the top 3 gunsmiths in the world or if ALL THREE of them worked on it!!?

IN THE WORLD!!!!
All three, simultaneously on the same part.

Reactions: DRD

·
Banned
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Below s my post to the seller:

"Who were the top 3 gunsmiths? Saying the top 3 gunsmiths in the world worked on it is a BOLD statement. I can probably think of 20-25 off the top of my head and anyone would be hard pressed to rank the top 10, let alone the top 3. That's not even taking different build philosophies into account. Can you post the build sheet for each? Do you still have the original frame?

What do you mean that it "shoots better" than any 1911 ever made? Pretty open ended statement. You mean the felt recoil? Accuracy? Reliability?

Lastly, what do you mean the slide was filed down for a tighter fit? Where was it filed down that it decreased the tolerances? Anyway I can think of would have INCREASED the tolerances and therefore made it looser, not tighter."

·
Banned
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This was his reply:

"It was more like 18 years so its difficult to remember specifics. In a nutshell I had bought a 70’s era Colt Combat Commander bc they seem more robust than modern 1911’s. The gunsmith I chose is no longer with us, but I say he is/was in the top 3 bc in the late 90’s he placed among the top 3, oftentimes first in the most coveted shooting competitions (IDPA, NRA, etc…) and was also an Olympic shooter. All his 1911’s that he used for competition he smithed himself…therefore its easy for me to say he’s in the top 3, because results in competition showed that.
I said to him, *Make this Colt Combat Commander just like your competition 1911’s.*
I say with confidence this is the best firing, or among the best, because:

1.Its is extremely accurate, we’re talking 2* groups at 25 yards.

2. Low recoil bc of its weight and robustness

3. Extremely reliable with the right high grain ammo
-I don’t have a build sheet . I was young and dumb and didn’t hold on to it.
-it is the original frame what you see is the grip that allows for rail."

The original 1911’s slide was not tight as it was meant for combat. He had filed it where the slide meets frame, therefore lowering its height and made it tighter (not sure how i just know it is), which is why high grain ammo is a must.
Yes my post may have seemed like a bold statement, but it is a bold gun. I have great reviews on here and ar15.com, so if whoever buys it doesn’t agree this is one of the finest firing 1911’s then I’d happily return/exchange. I hope that I’ve answered all your questions.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts