1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an alert from TargetSports USA at 4:10 am (Arizona time) saying that Speer Lawman 9mm 124's were back in stock, I just remembered at 9:03 AZ time and they are back out of stock.

The ammo makers are going to be flush with cash until we get through the November election with all this demand

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,776 Posts
Guy working 3rd shift, people with insomnia and general bad asses are going to be the only one’s gettin ammo at that rate:finger:

Although I get up at 3:30 to be to work by 5am every day

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
5,991 Posts
I think the response to this panic ammo buy has been exponentially better than the one to the 2012 shortage. I'm seeing ammo pop up everywhere (granted it's gone almost as soon as it arrives) but I recall going weeks without seeing ammo back in '12. I have to assume that a lot of manufacturers still have capacity built up from 8 years ago and just switched on the additional machines.
Now, what I'm NOT seeing good reactions to is reloading components. A lot of powder comes from Australia and the fires took out a good portion of Hodgon's ADI stock. So boom- there goes some big ones. Primers seem to have been taken by aliens as finding them in stock just doesn't happen.
Maybe people got wise after the last shortage and more got into reloading. This is freeing up factory ammo but sucking dry reloading components. Or, maybe reloaders are hoarding now, which I hope is not the case.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I was up and going to order a case, but just really didn't have the extra money. I was up and got the text alert.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I think the response to this panic ammo buy has been exponentially better than the one to the 2012 shortage. I'm seeing ammo pop up everywhere (granted it's gone almost as soon as it arrives) but I recall going weeks without seeing ammo back in '12. I have to assume that a lot of manufacturers still have capacity built up from 8 years ago and just switched on the additional machines.
Now, what I'm NOT seeing good reactions to is reloading components. A lot of powder comes from Australia and the fires took out a good portion of Hodgon's ADI stock. So boom- there goes some big ones. Primers seem to have been taken by aliens as finding them in stock just doesn't happen.
Maybe people got wise after the last shortage and more got into reloading. This is freeing up factory ammo but sucking dry reloading components. Or, maybe reloaders are hoarding now, which I hope is not the case.

My local place I get my reloading stuff from closed because of the virus.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Same ammo alert to me on 45 went to look and it was gone. No panic here. Im always stocked, ranges closed anyway.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow, I really didn't look at the price but a $100 surge seems a bit excessive but I guess you'd have to ask what people would pay for TP and face masks a month ago compared to today.

·
born in the wrong century
4,247 Posts
I hear ya @azguy1911.

I'm getting my arse chapped with component prices, too. It's not from places hiking up the prices....It's from me choosing to buy primers & powder when and where I can find them. Instead of what could have been a nice sized single online order I've had to break it down to 4 different orders just to get what I needed. Getting whacked with all those hazmat fees bites.....considering just a few months back many places were waiving hazmat + sales prices on stuff.

I suppose it's the penalty I'm paying for not being prepared.

I hope that we only have to endure a virus-related shortage and not have to endure a democrap POTUS. That would seriously derail my pre-retirement plans for getting setup for shooting fun.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Last year with all the impeachment of Trump stuff cooked up by the Dems looking like it was going to start and possibly go to the Senate, I ordered up Reloading stuff over a few months timeframe to be able to reload up 5-6 calibers for “a while”. I had no idea this would be needed ahead of the election but now my best local resource can’t keep me in restocking components. Being quarantined with 5 people and 2 dogs in the house means I get the early mornings to reload and plan my high adventure day of visiting the north, south, east, and west side walls of the inside of the house. My wife has diabetes and a compromised immune system to boot so as the sole designee to leave the house...I limit that to only essential engagement with the public.

I spend time daily now reloading to give myself “thinking time”.
Lucky for me I’m also the RSO at an outdoor private gun club. Went once and had the entire pistol range to myself.
I’ve been able to find projectiles readily on line. Primers?...nope.
Looks like my 22LR plinking pistols and rifles will miraculously be recovered from that “boating accident” and will come out of hibernation. I’ll scale back my centerfire practice Until the pandemic is under control (by summer?). Then maybe a short period to assess if I can reasonably buy reloading components before the election.
Time to sit down, strap in, and hang on! It’s about to get even bumpier up in here.

Reactions: boatdoc

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
They had armscor for $8.99, the speer was $13.99, which I thought was a little pricey.
had is the word .like our OP, I get my notices but not fast enough--they are out of stock every time

Reactions: duketbrd88

·
Registered
473 Posts
Armslist has been kind to me AFTER ammo prices stabilize.... profiteers eat hazmat/shipping and tax and the time value of their investment.
The stock market is a better investment than making money in such an ugly,convoluted manner.I can wait and will, until this very temporary ammo apocalypse ends.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts