Funny Glock Story

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by azguy1911, Apr 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    My brother bought his first gun this weekend, a Glock 45. He did all the research, went and held guns, watched YouTube, read reviews and he's shot my collection of 1911's twice before.

All on his own he decided the G45 was his choice.

I took him to the range Saturday and helped him get acquainted with his gun and gun safety in general. I ran three total magazines through it and was thinking the whole time if this was the gun I had to own I'd quit shooting. I hated it, the trigger is horrific, the weight feels all wrong.

He loves it and it's all the matters but it helped me make up my mind that I'm off my "want a G43 kick".

2. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I love my Glocks, but no comparison to my 1911's. I think they function well, but I also hate the triggers. But I don't mess with them other then to change the sights. I shoot my 1911's much more accurately.

Novak77, Kip and ronin11 like this.

3. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    the glock 19 gen 4 fits my hands well. BUT the models 17L and 34 bit my middle finger , so they were sold. very accurate guns with weird triggers. I prefer H-K striker fired guns myself or a walther

4. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    That has to be the worst place to get reliable information about anything.

YouTube is a collection of videos by people who don't know how to write for people who don't know how to read.

EDIT: I'm kind of in a pissy mood today.

5. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    You don’t know what you don’t know. I got into shooting late in life and it took me quite a while to figure out what I do and don’t like. I still like them all I just like some better than others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. notshawn54

notshawn54 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Sounds like 1st gun fever. He’s just happy to be shooting and proud of his new gun. Luckily for me my first pistol was a 1911.
    BTW I held a Glock once.

7. HooDoo Man

HooDoo Man Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 26, 2017
    I'm also glad he's into shooting now. Just give it some time and he'll get into real guns. Metal Auto's, and revolvers included. To me Glocks are like holding a bar of soap or Tupperware. I've shot them and I hate them. But better than nothing. "Satan" invented Glocks. You have to send them off to an Exorcist.

8. Denver1911

Denver1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    A G23 was my second handgun I ever purchased (first was an SP101 357 3-inch). Wish I still had that Glock (the revolver too for that matter). I considered a 1911 at the time, but according to most people I talked to and what was written in the rags, to make a 1911 run right, I’d have had to send it off to some watchmakers son in Arkansas to have things done to it that I didn’t even know what were. I was a poor college student just out of the military and went with a gun claimed to be reliable and rock solid out of the box in the hot caliber at the time. Loved it! It never had a malfunction. Wish I still had it! I’ve had a G23 since, but nothing like that first one. Turns out the watchmakers son knew his stuff and now owns a comapny that turns out some nice guns of their own. I have a few with his name on them. I still have a few Glocks too. They are certainly different guns. I find great pleasure in shooting my 1911s. Especially those in 9mm, but I keep a Glock in my nightstand to defend myself in case someone tries to break in and steal my 1911s from Arkansas.

Babboonbobo, FWoo45 and limbkiller like this.
  9. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    My wallet wishes I liked Glocks and other cheap polymer guns. But I don't.

10. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    I guess all that matters is that he loves it, right ;) It does have the super cool ameriglo orange front night sight

He bought some snap caps and played around with it all weekend and then today he tells me he went to a place out here called the "the glockmeister" and bought an extended slide-lock lever to aid in breaking down the gun :sneaky:

I told him he should have bought a new trigger assembly while he was there :roflmaro:

11. notshawn54

notshawn54 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Just don’t let him become “that guy” who shows up to the range with 1 paper target and 6 boxes of ammo.

Babboonbobo and Boatbum101 like this.
  12. mikc

mikc Member

Dec 8, 2013
    for a glock go gen 3, triggers can be done decent with stock oem parts. Not sure of gen 5's. It's the Volkswagen of the handgun world.

13. retrieverman

retrieverman Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    I don’t hate my Glocks or Sigs, but I really love my 1911’s...:thumbs:

14. Novak77

Novak77 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2019
    +1 for this. Glocks are great tools. I was anti Glock for years, till I shot my buddies 19. Now I own several Glocks.

I shoot them very well. I shoot my CZs, HKs, 1911s and Sigs better lol.

Sneaky One and FWoo45 like this.
  15. 1911 dawg

1911 dawg Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2018
    The good news is he got bit by the bug .You got to start somewhere .Thank god he did'nt fall in love with a high point.!!!!!!

Novak77 likes this.
  16. Wildcat Creeker

Wildcat Creeker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 26, 2012
    For the last 2 weeks I have been trying to transition from a 1911 carry gun(Colt Lightweight 38 Super Commander) to a Glock 48 to reduce weight and size in my senior years. The Glock 48 should be about 10 ounces lighter than the Colt, with the same number of rounds. The trouble is, I can't shoot the Glock near as well as the 38 Super. Years ago I carried Glock 19, Glock 23, even owned Glock 20, 24,27,17Ls and 35s. Have 357 SIG barrels for a couple, and even had a 9X25 Dillon barrel for my 10mm for a while. Lost track of how many Glocks I have owned. However, for the last few years I have been shooting 1911s mostly, and the single action trigger must have spoiled me, because Glock triggers now feel like absolute shyt in my hand. Taking steps to improve the trigger pull and installed new Dawson sights yesterday to try to get this gun so I can shoot it better. Each platform has it's advantages and disadvantage compared to the other.

17. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    I’ve owned four Glocks but never kept any of them longer than 10 months; I tried them and tried to like them but I haven’t yet. Maybe they’ll come out with one that I like - it’s that @&%/=¥€{<~^§ trigger.

18. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    Yep, I've had a number of Glocks over time and now own none! Nothing quite feels as good as a good ole 1911!:D:thumbs::popcorn:

19. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Nothing wrong with a G45. Quite frankly it's a solid choice for a first gun. In the right hands you can make people who own multi-thousand dollar guns look quite foolish.

Mongoose and Wake27 like this.
  20. Wake27

Wake27 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2017
    I want a 45 pretty badly, apparently they made a damn good fighting gun with that model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mongoose likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted