Galling in 1911s an issue anymore?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Cop_Out, Mar 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    Hi Folks,
    I was just wondering if galling is still a problem in stainless 1911s?
    Thanks,
    C

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  2. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    I never hear about it.

Cop_Out likes this.

3. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I have multiple Colts and DW's with nary a problem. The issue was sorted out very quickly.

Cop_Out likes this.
  4. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Never had that issue with my valor. I do run it with more oil than I do non stainless pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cop_Out and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  5. MDP

MDP MP Custom

Jul 22, 2016
    I’ve had many SS builds go out the door of my shop and haven’t had any issues yet. The SS materials are much different today than they were in the past.

Cop_Out, 1911 dawg and FWoo45 like this.
  6. 605atthe wheels

605atthe wheels In the staging lanes Supporting Addict

Oct 19, 2012
  7. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I bought my Valor in 2012. DW had problems with galling shortly thereafter but they seem to have it sorted out long ago now. Glad I missed it.

Cop_Out likes this.
  8. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Aside from the occasional isolated incident, galling issues were solved in the first couple of years of stainless steel 1911 production, back in the late '70s/early '80s.

Kevin Rohrer and Cop_Out like this.
  9. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    All depends on the tolerances you are trying to fit the slide and frame to when you build the gun. For example, when we build all carbon guns we fit the side to side of the slide to frame at .0002". But when we do a two tone or stainless on stainless we have to fit to a tolerance of .0005" or the slide and frame will gall together.

mlea5150, JD31, Cop_Out and 9 others like this.
  10. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Actually no. In the early days of SS 1911s, gawling was a problem with at least two of the original makers, Colt being one.

Cop_Out likes this.
  11. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky

Jun 14, 2013
    My stainless steel trp doesn't have galling problems

Cop_Out likes this.
  12. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    My CCC has no galling; Colt held it’s slide to frame fit at .5”:)

Old Sea Dragon, Cop_Out and azpoolguy like this.
  13. Mistman

Mistman Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2015
    It still happens occasionally w/one manufacturer, read about one fairly recently. For the most part it's a non issue and appears pretty random even when following the manufacturers recommended break-in.

It happened to me a few years ago, it'll change your perception of a number of things if it happens but at the end of the day it's not the end of the world. I do however steer clear of said manufacturer, not because I believe the products are bad, they aren't. I just don't have any desire to revisit the whole 'scene', there are plenty of other great guns out there.

I used to think SS 1911's were pretty cool, now I'm not really a fan and actually think blue or coated ones are prettier but for some reason I still like hard chrome. Probably because I know better now, SS isn't the best steel for a precision 1911 if that's what you're after.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Cop_Out likes this.
  14. Howe45acp

Howe45acp Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2017
    I’m curious for the details and the rest of this story!

1911fanatic likes this.
  15. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    TOOS has regular reports of Dan Wessons galling.

Cop_Out likes this.
  16. Dave Jessee

Dave Jessee Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 31, 2014
    My uneducated guess was that so many folks freaked over the slightest amount of play in the slide to frame fit on their 1911's that some of the manufacturers tightened the tolerances to the point of galling. Stainless galls quicker and easier than steel.

I think the manufacturers adjusted their tolerances since then and the problem is going away. And all of this is a guess.

17. Howe45acp

Howe45acp Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Ha, I’ve been calling it TOS without even thinking lol. Just now caught it lol

Yea, one of the King mod’s will Always comment about his 91’ Colt & how he wouldn’t buy today’s products but he’s hasn’t seen any new production firsthand lol.

18. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    Thanks very much for everyone's input!

19. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    There used to be regular reports of DWs galling this doesn’t seem to really be an issue anymore. See one once or twice a year now a days that I have seen. In 2014-2015 they had known galling issues in the all stainless models. It seems to be all but gone at this point.

Badabing11 and tac45 like this.
  20. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    Only with people bent on seeing how long they can go without cleaning or oiling their gun

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted