Gen 2 ST1 Mags

Discussion in 'STI/2011' started by farnorth, Jan 17, 2019.

1. farnorth

farnorth Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Was having some failures to lock back on some gen 1 and gen 2 140mm 9mm magazines. Ordered some new sti springs and some new gen 2 126mm mags as well bc why not.

Springs fixed my problem with the old gen 1 and gen 2 tubes, thing is the new gen 2 126mm 9mm mags right out of the box wont lock the slide back at all.

Anyone have this issue? Should I order some new guts, different brand?

I'm a little stumped on what to do. Brand new to 126mm sticks and no wizard to 2011 either. Any help would be great, thanks.

2. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Buy MBX lock back mags, problem solved.

3. farnorth

farnorth Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Yah... but then I'd still have a few hundred in mags laying around that aren't working..

4. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Then buy Grams followers and springs

wrmiller likes this.
  5. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Or.... you can buy Gen 1 followers and put them in Gen 2 bodies Or.... you can have your slide lock tuned/replaced to catch the Gen 2 followers.

What model and how old is your gun?

gun_fan111 likes this.
  6. farnorth

farnorth Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Hex Tac 5.0. So a couple years old.

I am having a hard time seeing how it is a slide lock issue. 140mm Gen 1 and Gen 2 mags function as wanted in the pistol with current slide lock. It is just the new out of package gen 2 126mm.

7. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    I only have one Gen2 126mm mag but it works same in my STIs as the 140mm mags do. Have you compared the mags? Have you swapped followers between mags to see if the issue is the tube or follower?

I had similar issues with 1911 mags and after examination found that some followers were out of spec and needed to be replaced.

8. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Followers are what lock it back.
    As Joe said, if you want hold open followers, buy Gram’s or MBX followers.

9. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    I bought new Gen 2 mags from the STI store last Summer. Had FTFs. Emailed pics to STI customer service, they said the wrong springs and followers had been installed. STI quickly sent the correct ones and problem solved.

10. farnorth

farnorth Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Green, followed your lead. Shot off some pics to STI and they have informed me that in early gen 2 mags the followers were not performing properly. Waiting on some new followers to land now.

11. farnorth

farnorth Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Ive had failure to lock back in the past that was fixed with swapping out some old sloppy springs as well.

12. CENTURIATOR

CENTURIATOR Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2018
  13. Greenrunner

Dec 11, 2017
    Good luck. Let us know how it comes out.

14. farnorth

farnorth Member

Dec 24, 2018
    STI came through with updated followers. Bird landed after I got back from the range. Manually, slide lock issue seems to be resolved. Will update after a range trip if slide lock continues to be an issue.

15. Greenrunner

Dec 11, 2017