1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening folks! I hope everyone is doing well!

I've been out of the game for a while and am starting plans to get together a 'beater' 1911 (just lots of use, very simple) that won't require a ton of gunsmith work. Because I don't know if factory work is an option, I posted here. If it fits better in the gunsmithing thread, that works too! I figured I wasn't going to discuss the technical aspects of how I wanted the gun, but rather how best to go about production.

I am going for a certain setup and look. Really eyeballing a Dan Wesson A2 but would like it with the following tweaks :

- EGW, old school Ed Brown (if I can find one), or DW OEM grip safety instead of the non-memory bump A2 part
- 20 or 25 LPI machine checkered frontstrap
- S&A checkered arched mainspring housing, magwell opening machined nicely
- Novak competition rear (the one that overhangs the rear of the slide), .115 dia front sight
- Commander hammer. Maybe a CS271B if I can find it. I like the 0.023" hammer hooks
- Wilson bulletproof ambi or DW OEM unit contoured like the old Kimber ambi (favorite shape!)
- Barrel and such parkerized (not blued)
- Barrel checked for lower lug contact, tweaked if needed
- Barnhart Burner grips

Very much an old school Army 1911 as you can see! I don't think DW do up an A2 like that from the factory, but are there any one-stop-shop gunsmiths that would be good to handle that these days? I generally like work done with milling machines, and no side-to-side overhang, sharp corners or edges on the grip safety, etc.

Thoughts? Much thanks, folks! :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Sounds like a great base for a build. The A2 is a fantastic 1911. I also like the new Colt Classic series 70 if you want a Pony on the slide. I'm about to send one to Novak but others here can recommend based on prior history.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,995 Posts
I have a Parkerized A2 sitting here in my shop that is available as a base gun.. And have another one on the way next week. Also have about every part you mentioned except I don't think I have a hammer with that tall of hooks, but I can machine one to make it happen.. Hit me up in PM if ya want to talk about getting one of these. I do believe the barrel is already Parked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts