GI NN 9mm Bobtail

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by 605atthe wheels, Sep 21, 2016.

1. 605atthe wheels

605atthe wheels In the staging lanes Supporting Addict

Oct 19, 2012
    OK here goes. Let me 1st say I'm a "pepper in the fly shat" kind of guy. I'm fussy, is an understatement. 2nd I have pretty bad arthritis in my right hand trigger finger. (sensitive to pull/break). 3rd I like a certain amount of bling/contrast/options etc.

This is my 1st GI. I bought it through C.J. I'm sure I drove him crazier but he made it a GREAT experience. Thanks for the knife also C.J.

Specs: 5" NN 9mm Bobtail, Melonite finish.
    Flush cut,rev crown barrel, recess/bevel slide stop & flatten pin
    Straight 8 night sights F/R
    Flatten top of slide & serrate
    Serrate rear of slide

The pistol came with (I guess) all the usual stuff; rug, range bag, test target (wish I could shoot like that), 3 letters, 1 explaining Melonite, the Why's & How it's done, 2nd explaining how 9mm 1911's work & how they can be finicky. 3rd How to care & clean it.(WD40 & Wilson Ultra Lube II) That's a LOT of detail & shows GI's attention to detail. I'm impressed.

I field stripped it just to see the internals. LOTS of super polished parts in there. The barrel was media blasted (not polished) like most guns. It came with a 9# recoil spring & a 10# for heavier loads, also explained in that 9mm letter. I oiled it up & put it back together. I used my Lyman digital to check trigger pull, showing 4 1/4 lbs with a (to me) a hard but crisp break.(arthritis)
    A few hundred slide rackings & dry fires later & we're off to the range.

Gun came with 2 10rnd "tuned" Wilson 500ETM mags. I also took 10 Metalform 9rnd mags from my VBob 9mm.
    The gun is WAY more accurate than I am. It functions as on ceramic bearings (like my WC SG 45)
    All ammo was Freedom 147 gr RN (new). 2 FTRTB. May have been my grip thumb rubbing on slide too much. Basically 110 rnds.
    At this point, I'm REALLY liking the rear cocking serrations, deep & sharp, no way you're going to slip off those mothers. Now back home and a phone call to GI. I inquired about the hard break (as I called it). They explained sometimes the sear to hammer had to be worn in or burnished as they called it They IMMEDIATELY offered to have it looked at & fixed to my liking/preference.
    I informed them I had to tweak my EB,& Wessons with the EB sear jig,stones 2000 grit etc. to suit my needs which I had done quite a few times on my other guns & was comfortable doing. I think that may have shocked them a bit, but they insisted if I "messed up" just send it back for them to make it PERFECT to me. These guys are SERIOUS about customer service.

I cleaned,lubed her all up, put in the 10# recoil spring, did my tweaks and off we went for another 110 rnds. Perfect. flawless.

OK things I like: perfect fitment, beavertail is same as my Supergrade. ZERO maching marks inside like my SG. My Brown & Wessons have VERY faint internal maching marks here & there. Slide stop pin has arched side & thumb safety has checkered nub side. Excellent details.
    Accuracy is a given. 15 LPI front strap is wonderful. Rear bobtail MSH has very fine checkering & is about.250" longer than my Brown & Wesson Bobtails. Another attention to detail & very esthetic to my level of bling look. That media blasted barrel looks killer & has ZERO scuffing like ALL my other polished barrels.

OK things I'd change, Straight 8 sights are both green. My others have a yellow rear. My ignorance for not asking. I was too excited to verify. Slide stop hole bevel is minimal. My other guns have broader wide cuts. I can't push the SS Pin out with my fat sausage fingers.

MELONITE: where do I begin? It was all explained in the accompanying letter. GI media blasts the gun to open the pores so to speak so the Melonite process goes deeper into the steel. This leaves an "EGGSHELL" finish.(Think Glock/Chalk) Not the Satin smooth look of the Wesson Duty coat. (That's my bling thing) I have no doubt about the toughness of the Melonite & I understand their process. Again my ignorance & not seeing one in person. If I do it again, (Highly likely I will) it would be Baron's high polished bluing & CCH frame or Hard Chrome.

I'll attach the pics below in post 2. Everyday grips are VZ OPII's in faux Ivory with super scoop.
    Date night grips are REAL Ivory Bobtails from Sarge. Simply spectacular.
    Thanks again to CJ, Sarge & GI, 1st class dealings & service above & beyond. Worth ALL those pennies!

George

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  2. 605atthe wheels

Oct 19, 2012

3. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    Very nice, and you're right about their customer service. Alex will bend over backwards to work on these pistols, you can tell he has an attachment to each pistol that leaves his shop.

Nice shooting too!

boatdoc and cwoods like this.
  4. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Very nice write up.......great looking GI as well!

boatdoc likes this.
  5. CRAZY JOHN

CRAZY JOHN New Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I'm as crazy as I'm gonna get. Enjoy the pistol in good health.

605atthe wheels and wcanterbury like this.
  6. CT72

CT72 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Very nice! Those VZ's look great in that GI.

7. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Congrats on a great gun. Enjoy. :)

8. Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer Codename Duchess Supporting Addict

Aug 30, 2015
    Badass, sir! Great write-up.

605atthe wheels likes this.
  9. Kaboom

Kaboom Active Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Great pistol and write up. Enjoy. She's a beauty.

10. Bro. Pappaw

Bro. Pappaw Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Appreciate you sharing. Thanks.

11. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    Flat trigger, cool grips, good shooting, well written review....can't ask for much more. Enjoy the GI.

12. gregshake2

gregshake2 Member

Nov 13, 2015
    CJ maybe crazy but a heck of a nice guy.I was ready to pull the trigger on a NN N1 but found a deal on a like new Frag I couldn't pass up don't worry my next GI will from CJ. IMG_0760.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. titus66

titus66 Active Member

Feb 2, 2016
    GI uses 15 LPI on the front strap. I held a SA TRP a while back, which has 20, and it was brutal, so I can't imagine how 15 must feel?? To me 25 is perfect for bare hands. I think I'd like that Frag checkering on the front strap.

14. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    The 15LPI isn't anywhere near as sharp as the Springfield 20LPI it is actually quite mild in comparison.. Springfield 20lpi is like little needles Gi 15LPI isn't anything like that.

605atthe wheels, cwoods and stlgecko like this.
  15. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Like the blacked out look. :thumbs:

16. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    No buddy, you need to hold a GI pistol with their 15lpi checkering. More comfortable than chainlink, but lots of grip. Difficult to explain, but believe us its all true. Really. My favorite by far.

Good review and a sharp looking pistol, especially with going to town shoes on. Spectacular. Congratulations. Makes me want to call CJ.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  17. Gress

Gress Don't need no education Supporting Addict

Nov 21, 2011
    Thanks for excellent write-up 60S W. Great shooting and I enjoyed your quality pics.
    As for GI 15lpi checkering, I just love it.

18. 605atthe wheels

Oct 19, 2012
    A little update for the crowd.
    I sent the slide back to G.I. to have the straight 8 sights replaced by a plain "U" notched rear & Green F.O. front. The guys at G.I. turned it around in a blink of an eye. I REALLY LOVE the front F.O. & rear battle sight. I have put approx 250 rnds through it since the changes. Fargin' excellent!

Now if I could just get it hard chromed;).

Did I mention the G.I. crew ROCK

George

19. PaulM

PaulM Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2016

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted