Guncrafter GI No Name

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by B81, Apr 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    My custom ordered GI No Name arrived today.

20190405_185418.jpg

The custom mods I requested are fairly standard: flush cut barrel with reverse crown, flush cut slide stop and chamfer frame, blacked out U notch rear sight and FO front, short trigger, functional blended magwell, and black shredder grips with black screws.

I know that many of you already have guns from GI. So, I won't go into a lot of detail about the gun. I will only mention a few interesting details that I don't think have been documented on this forum, and were not obvious to me.

Previous No Name examples I've seen did not come with round butt magwells. Mine did. I like round butts. I cannot lie. So, this was a pleasant surprise for me.

20190405_185522.jpg

I requested a functional blend on the magwell instead of a full blend. I did this because I'm a cheap *******, and a full blend is quite a bit more money. For those who may be wondering, this is what a "functional blend" looks like.

20190405_185613.jpg

As you can see, the frame is beveled around the magwell opening, as it normally would. Then a once one piece magwell is dropped in. It's not pretty, but it is functional and they charged a fair price for this mod. I really can't complain.

If you take a second look at the two photos above, take note of the grip panels. These are the GI Shredder Grips. I didn't realize this, but these grips have a non standard cross section. They are shaped like an airfoil, with maximum thickness near the back (closer to the MSH). I don't hate them. I'll need some trigger time before I'll know if I love them.

This is the GI short trigger. Nothing unusual here.

20190405_185657.jpg

20190405_185638.jpg

If you take a look at the above photo, and focus on the mag release, you will see an ominous seam. This looks like mold line to me. I'm guessing that this part is cast. From a practical standpoint, the mag release could be made of plastic and still hold up fine. On the other hand, this isn't a RIA.

I wasn't sure what to think about the GI 15 LPI checkering when I placed my order. But, I'm pleased to see that it's not nearly as sharp as I thought it might be. The points are slightly rounded and form a fat enough angle that the "spikes" are not at all uncomfortable to grip.

20190405_185826.jpg

That's about it for now. This weekend I'll be busy at an Appleseed shoot. But hopefully I'll be able to get some trigger time with this gun later next week.

EDIT: Grammar and spelling.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  2. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    Your odds of wearing out, or having problems with, a quality investment cast mag release are pretty slim.

Everybody (myself included) likes to play metallurgist, but not everything needs to be EDM machined, cryotreated, cold hammer forged magical unicorn steel.

3. Jim Lyles

Jim Lyles Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    beautiful

B81 likes this.
  4. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I agree. As I indicated in my original post, the mag release could be made of plastic and still hold up fine. That said, I think many people in the 1911 community have developed the expectation that a 1911 from a premium builder will not be built using MIM or cast parts. For that reason, it is worth pointing out in a review.

simonp and Mr. Knight like this.
  5. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    In for your future review, congratulations

B81 likes this.
  6. Journeyman1234

Journeyman1234 Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Congrats on a great pistol! Looking forward to your range report. Guncrafter is definitely on my list of future purchases.

B81 likes this.
  7. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Fantastic weapon. Congrats. No mim parts. Round butt is an option. Enjoy it !

B81 likes this.
  8. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Ah no names.
    Good stuff.

B81 likes this.
  9. cherokee2u

cherokee2u Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Very nice! Congrats

B81 likes this.
  10. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Absolutely beautiful! Did I miss the caliber? Regardless, you’re going to love it. My No Name 38 Super is my finest 1911. There’s just something about the smoothness of the slide to frame fit. Congratulations!

Sneaky One, gps man and B81 like this.
  11. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Nope, I forgot to mention it. It's 45 ACP.

Sneaky One, 41 Charlie and gps man like this.
  12. Renegade4006

Renegade4006 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2018
    Hoping to own a GI No Name before the year ends. Your write up and photos have helped reinforce that goal.

13. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    I'm bad, caliber or do they make only .45? How long was your wait time? It's beautiful sir.

I'll probably never be able to afford one unless I peddle drugs to addicts at my 67 year old age.
    Well done sir and congratulations. If you ever get the craving for a DW, let me know an I might trade with you. Ha-Ha.

Jim D

14. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I ordered this near the beginning of January (of this year), and I arrived at my FFL today. The wait time really depends on what mods you request and how busy they are.

According to the GI website, they also offer this in 9mm, 10mm, and 38 super.

Sneaky One and 41 Charlie like this.
  15. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Being a 3 No Name owner... each being different...... They should have names!!!

41 Charlie, Mr. Knight and B81 like this.
  16. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    They actually had a contest to name the gun.
    However nothing really jumped out at them so they stayed with no name.
    The gun with NO NAME !!!
    If memory serves me they were going to give away one to the person that came up with an acceptable name for it.

Sneaky One and B81 like this.
  17. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I'm going to name mine. The full size .45 I will name Darryl. I think I'll call his little brother CCO .45 Darryl and I call his other little brother CCO 9mm. Darryl so that they all have their own name.

18. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Man you've rolled into some nice additions recently .. Congrats...

19. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Thanks. Let me know if you know of any good rice and beans recipes, because that's what I'm going to be eating for a while. :grin:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  20. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Very nice!

I’m partial to red beans and rice myself.

And, I’m waiting on my first No Name now. Hopefully being built now!

Well, not “now” on Friday night....

Waiting on a range report!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted