Gifting a firearm to a family member

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Capthobo, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    What is required by law if any, to gift a gun to a family member.
    My 36 year old daughter recently acquired her CC permit in Florida where we both reside.
    I want to gift her a pistol that I purchased.

Kip and FWoo45 like this.
  2. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    It depends on state law. I live in Colorado and am unsure if a background check is required for a gift to a family member. I do know if I give a firearm to a friend it does require a background check.

3. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    gps man, Kip, Babboonbobo and 5 others like this.
  4. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Unless there is some kind of state/local registration laws, there shouldn't be anything to do other than to hand it over to her, there is no proof of ownership. My father has given me numerous guns over the years and I have given guns to him and to my son, never did anything more than wrap them up and hand them over.

gps man, Kip, Grizz and 5 others like this.
  5. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    WC145, depending on your state regs you might be an accidental Felon for such a transfer.

Word to the wise, KNOW your state gun laws.

wrmiller, wcanterbury and ccssid like this.
  6. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Amen! In Colorado if I buy a gun, I do the background check. If I sell it to someone else they do a background check. The key here is possession of the firearm. There may also be age requirements.

We live in a different world these days from when I was a kid!

7. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I live in Kentucky a free state so far. You can go to town squares at certain times and buy all ya want. No checks at all. I give guns to whoever I want and ALL those guns have been bought without any checks at all. I make sure of it.!!! Hell guns are sold here by the thousands with no checks. As it should be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    That's how it is here in Maine, thank God.

9. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I try to follow the laws if my state and I know of no law in Ohio prohibiting this.

Doesn’t help you in Florida but I gave given guns to multiple family members over the last few years.

Capthobo likes this.
  10. hks1911

hks1911 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    Yeah this is a state by state question. In Colorado (where I live and work) a direct family member may give a firearm without a background check to another direct family member.

Doc45, wcanterbury and Capthobo like this.
  11. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Because I reside in a state where person to person transfers are allowed by private party I am going to presume since both parties have been screened by Federal Backround checks and being of the same family there should be no repercussions from the gifting to my offspring.
    Thank you all for the input and Merry Christmas to all. Your input has put my mind at ease and I can gift my daughter with a very nice present under her tree.

gps man, FWoo45, WC145 and 3 others like this.
  12. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    This for us Colorado residents-another phrase is “immediate family member”.

Capthobo and wcanterbury like this.
  13. Grizz

Grizz Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2016
    ATF didnt do background checks when they were giving guns to the mexican cartel during the obama reign of terror

cghelton, FWoo45, SCS1911 and 3 others like this.
  14. SRTCOP

SRTCOP Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2018
    On December 16th I was at my granddaughter's gymnastic event held in a small city high school just outside Tulsa. They announced over the loudspeaker that attendees had until 1:00 PM to purchase their $25 tickets for a drawing to be held shortly thereafter for a Glock 19. My son turned around and exclaimed what I was thinking, "You've got to love Oklahoma." I didn't win the pistol.:madashell:

gps man, wrmiller, Capthobo and 3 others like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted