1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Custom Pistolsmith
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a .38 Special build by probably one of the greatest 1911 smiths ever. John Giles. It started as a 1975 Colt .38 Super. Giles was very skilled in taking a .38 Super barrel and boring to the big and chamber area so all that was left was the upper and lower lugs.( think two piece SA barrel) He then sleeved the new barrel in .38 special into this rear section, silver soldered and then chamber reamed. He sleeved the original factory bushing for the new barrel. Giles also created his own rear target sight which is known as the (wagon wheel) sight by many. The front sight is hand made and screwed in place with e clocked and staked screw. He also created a custom wide barrel link which filled the barrel feet channel in the frame. This one does not have it but Giles used to mill a micro grove in the nose of the sear and solder in a piece of hard round stock to create the original radius sear. All this and his guns shot lights out at fifty yards. This gun was in the bottom of a guns safe in the Florida Keys when Hurricane Irene hit. The owners family got the guns out but missed this one and SW Model 52 which were in black bags on the door. I got Bothe cleaned up and reblued. The deep pitting will remain and be part of this guns story. It still locks up and shoots as well as it did when John built it.

·
Get off my lawn...
14,785 Posts
Thanks for the history lesson, Greg! You saved a true piece of history here! Complements on a very tasteful restoration!!

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Nice work bringing that one back to life.

·
The Tinker
3,307 Posts
Real functional craftsmanship. Something rarely seen in today's guns. I would love to take that apart and examine the work done.

Thanks for sharing this Greg! :)

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Great Story
Always cool to save old guns, especially those with neat history!

Reactions: 41 Charlie

·
Banned
2,690 Posts
Great save!

I shot a Giles .38 Special conversion 40+ yrs. ago.
It was, in fact, a driver of tacks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts