Glock 17M

Discussion in 'Autoloaders' started by cor_man257, Aug 16, 2016.

1. cor_man257

cor_man257 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2015
    Meet the new Glock, Same as the old Glock.

Glock won the FBI solicitation contract with a new variation on the same theme. The Glock 17M and 19M are the newest models from Glock. The "M" appears to stand for modified, as the new models have a slight twist in features from the standard Gen4 Glocks.

[​IMG]
    The 17M's debut photo. The pistol was kept extremely secretive during the testing process. This photo is from one of the first police officers to be issued the new model.

The feature list and changes.

The changes to this Glock have finally come out. The rumor mill was absolutely ridiculous some places, with speculation based off any possible source. The Firearm Blog states the feature list as the following:

Just take a look at the photo again, and you'll see a few things that aren't on that list. First, this is obviously a Gen4 gun "modified". The frame has Gen4 texture (sans finger grooves), accepts Gen4 back straps, and has the same general profile. This isn't an altogether new generation, more on that later. Rounded front of slide, slightly different magazine release button (wee bit smaller). You may notice it only has a trigger pin, and no locking block pin. A few have opined that this pin was introduced to help with the .40 caliber gun's reliability and isn't needed on a model that will be 9mm only (Remember this). Others have stated it may be due to changes with the introduction of an ambidextrous slide lever/release/stop/what-ever-we-call-it-this-week.​

[​IMG]
    The 17M's ambidextrous slide lever is a pretty drastic change for Glock, in my opinion. Note the lack of finger grooves, the cut away for magazine removal on the front strap, and the Gen4 beavertail back strap. I EDC with a medium beavertail strap, and generally didn't care for the Glock's ergonomics before it.

Sneaky Sneaky?

Glock's new 17M seems to be missing something that really surprises me, and I'm expecting to see it pop up as we learn more about the new gun. A safety. More likely a cutaway spot where one could be added (think M&P). While the 17M won the FBI's competition and will become the new side arm for the agency, it's a little surprising top see that it doesn't include a feature that is required for a far larger federal contract. The Modern Handgun Selection (MHS) trials to replace my beloved Beretta M9 as the military's side arm. Glock has produced models in the past that featured safeties. A "cross bolt" safety and a thumb safety have both been produced by Glock in the past to compete for foreign military contracts.

[​IMG]
    A pistol made for a contract requiring a "cross bolt" style safety. This safety works well for some agencies (mostly foreign) who use similar safeties on their rifles.

22M. Is it out there? The MHS trials don't specify a caliber, and it is common knowledge (to those who pay attention) that American special operations units have used the G22 in the past (Combat Applications Group [CAG], SEALS, SF, Rangers, other elite fighting men). Some are still said to be using it. CAG has been especially noticed as using the .40S&W chambered Glock, by those who enjoy mimicking "cool guy" firearms. If this gun is out there (or getting it's Tupperware molded) what does our missing locking block pin mean? Could a 22M have issues mounting lights like some older Glocks? Is Glock a contender for the MHS trial?

Lingering questions about the rollout

Will this Glock make it to the consumer market? Eventually, yes. However it may be only sold to departments through contract, leaving the average consumer to only get one after a retired office purchases the gun from his agency and resells it. Or when an agency moves on ta new weapon. And at that point will anyone want one? I'm hoping that Glock will be sending these to dealers everywhere, but I'm doubtful because...

17 Gen5. The 5th generation of Glock is likely to debut at the next Shot Show. Some folks on another forum have cited sources stating that the 5th generation Glocks will NOT have all the features of the 17M (I haven't done the digging to see if their source was in the know. Most there seem accepting that it was solid. this is purely conjecture based on rumor... but possibly true) Could it be better? Maybe. Leave us wanting the 17M? possibly. However it will clearly be available to the US consumer market, possibly while the M isn't.

[​IMG]
    Plenty of Glock fans are already hoping for the change to replace their guns with "M" versions. Nevermind if the gun is better, it's the latest Glock and will sell accordingly.

My thoughts

My Glock 17 Gen4 is in no danger. I don't sell guns. But I also don't see much of an improvement to this Glock that makes it a must have.
    • I generally don't have to rip out stuck magazines, so the cut away and magazine floor plate tabs aren't a big seller for me.
    • The magwell on my 17 works. I could add a magwell but don't see a need to. I conceal my 17, so if it didn't add bulk it could be a plus, but it isn't a "must have" for me personally.
    • The ambidextrous slide release is nice for just in case I wind up left handed reloading (I use the lever to release. Sorry Clint Smith, but I'm not sorry) but I can certainly train to do so with an index or over the top.
    • It's ugly. No... really. I like the square front of my 17. Having a banana shaped muzzle end isn't a plus in my book. Not only does it look like crap it doesn't add any benefit. Nobody snags on that area with a gen4 while drawing and it gives the ability to leverage a front corner on an item if I want to.
    • I seriously dig the lack of finger grooves.

It seems like a neat addition, and it could be in the trials for an Army solicitation as well. That is fine and dandy but it doesn't do anything for me. The new generation coming might be great too. If I ever want to pick up another Glock in the future I will have plenty of options it seems. BUT, I'm pretty set on an M9A3. This fantastic plastic isn't changing that, and doesn't have me scrambling to grab one, because my genny4 ain't broke.

[​IMG]
    My carry gun, the Gen4 version of the 17. Eventually this may become a 17K, a chopped down grip to nearly 19 size. I prefer the medium beavertail strap, and OEM extended slide lever. How easy changing slide levers on this new Glock will be remains to be seen. Is it one piece or two? Either way my carry pew pew ain't changing for this.

To long; didn't read = It's a Glock.

New model of Glock for the FBI. Kool aide drinkers will love it. More new Glock models are probably coming soon. A lot of folks like Tupperware. Eh, seems okay. My next gun is still probably the M9A3.

-Cory

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    knedrgr, BBP, 45caldude and 1 other person like this.
  2. Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer Codename Duchess Supporting Addict

Aug 30, 2015
    Great write-up, Cory! I'm curious what the changes to the safety plunger were.

cor_man257 likes this.

3. cor_man257

May 15, 2015
    It's now square, similar to the G42 and 43. It prevents rotation. Over on pistol-forum some people brought that up.

I'm having trouble with the editor, I guess it doesn't care for long posts. I apologize for the mess at the moment.

-Cory

Sterling Archer likes this.
  4. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    thanks for the write up and clarification!

I was hoping the new "M" models would introduce forward cocking serrations as some have speculated.

I dig that the gun will now offer full ambi capabilities for those who need it. I do not.

I prefer the smooth triggers on these guns as well but end up going to aftermarket triggers that keep the factory trigger bar but reduce reset and take up so its a moot point for me.

Glad to see Glock making changes to gain market share. I would have loved to try out one of their MOS pistols (and still may at some point) but really like front cocking serrations on my hard use guns so while they are moving in the right direction, this shooter still prefers the gen3/4 guns at this point in time.

cor_man257 likes this.
  5. cor_man257

May 15, 2015
    Maybe Gen5 will have the front cocking serrations. I seriously don't think we are going to see Ms in "civilian" hands (I roll my eyes because police are civilians) for awhile. A long while. There seems to be talk of them going all HK and LEO only sales, but I think it is only talk at this point. Heck, even if they do try to sell it to average Joe, they wont be able to find it. Blue Label Glock dealers can't even keep MOS models in stock.

If it does wind up in Joe's hands he is going to treat it like anybody else does a Glock. A base gun. Next it gets FCS, cerakote, stipple, fancy extended widgets, sights, dremels, barrels, and the whole gambit of bolt on bullshit.

My Gen4 17 has a smooth trigger, I thought only 19s have the serrated trigger. Something about imports?

-Cory

6. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    The three pistols i've bought through the GSSF coupon program were all blue label guns :cool:

Not sure if thats how its suppose to work or if the dealer that handled the sale fudged up somewhere along the lines.

I had a Gen4 G17 a while back and ended up selling it because I was far more accurate with my G19 or my G21 (go figure). Looking to get back into a G17/34 sooner or later but it all depends how my RMR G21 project goes thats at ATEi currently.

7. Robert F. Ciancio Jr.

Robert F. Ciancio Jr. Si vis pacem, para bellum

Jun 25, 2014
    Nice write up brother. When I went to the police academy, you know, when Christ was a rookie, we shot Glocks. They are great shooting guns, but the angle of the grip and the little bubble at the back bottom, make it one of the most uncomfortable guns I've ever shot. For that reason I will never own one. Nothing against Glock as they are great shooters, I just hate the grips.

The only gun that I truly find comfortable to shoot is the 1911. My second favorite, is the Beretta 92. And, I'm glad to see the new M3A, as the new grip design is so 1911ish, that I will be getting one the first chance I get.

I know technology moves things forward, but I have never been a fan of the polymer gun craze. I like steel guns and will always carry steel guns.

cor_man257 likes this.
  8. cor_man257

May 15, 2015
    GSSF gets blue label. I got my 17Gen4 blue label while in the National Guard, BUT I lived behind the lines in NY and had to find a dealer willing to swap out my magazines to less useful ones. Blue label is really only related to the price, and having 3 magazines, at least as I understand it.

I like the 17s finger groove spacing and "grip bump" better. I've just kind of always had a thing for full size guns, but I do sometimes wish I didn't have to work so hard to tote my 17. I may try to copy knedrgr at some point and do a 17K style grip cut. ATEi would be awesome eventually... but it costs.

I know your over on Beretta forum too, so this hopefully isn't to drastic to ya: I want to have the M9A3 as a carry gun with some kind of compact Beretta as a smaller option. Like a Compact A3. I would much rather do that then pick up more Glocks.

-Cory

Robert F. Ciancio Jr. and dgi like this.
  9. cor_man257

May 15, 2015
    I hated Glocks until I held a Gen4 with the medium beavertail. It changes the way it points in my hands and made it useable for me. I don't care to shoot them without the beavertail. At all. They point funny, and cut me.

Robert F. Ciancio Jr. likes this.
  10. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    I've been looking for a hammer fired DA/SA carry setup thats also available in a full size for training and competition but never thought the Beretta would do it for me... Until the other day.

A topic for a different thread after my round count goes up. Back to the topic at hand.

I think Glock would do VERY well if they offered some type of custom shop backed by the factory...

cor_man257 likes this.
  11. cor_man257

May 15, 2015
    Off topic: WAL's little laser eh?

On Topic:

I don't think it will ever happen. Glock is too "Bulk" oriented. I think it would do really well, but don't see it. They wouldn't want to compete with the plethora of others doing it, and seem all to happy to keep making the Tshirts others print pictures on if you know what I mean.

I do find myself wondering if the FBI and different PDs are beta testing a lot of Gen5 features for Glock. Gen5 could wind up being totally different and leaving the FBI wishing they had waited and the rest of us scoffing at the M.

but wouldn't it be smart of Glock to press some changes out in the M guns so they knew where to make final tweeks to Gen5? I mean the test guns for the M went who knows how many thousand rounds? I wanna say something like 160K but can't remember... is there a better proving ground?

-Cory

lol, accidently typed 610K.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    dgi likes this.
  12. cor_man257

May 15, 2015
    They are saying this has to do with the recoil spring assembly, but doesn't it seem like it would have more to do with the takedown levers?

Either way, this could be the absolute death of the pistol. It likely wont hurt Glocks overall reputation but it certainly isn't going to help. The sad part is that the folks doing the "beta" testing on this new handgun are the ones who require an absolutely sound pistol.

Thanks for sharing, Quack.

-Cory

13. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
  14. SLAM37

SLAM37 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Once again ... Glock trying to fix something that isn't broken and screwing up their hard-earned reputation for reliability.

I would like to know what the testing protocol was before they brought the 17M to market. How many times have big companies like Glock, S&W and many others foisted guns onto the public that are clearly in need of revision before they are suitable for their intended purpose? It seems like it shouldn't be so hard to do it right the first time.

I suppose you should never buy Mark 1 Mod 0 of any firearm you need to trust your life to until it has been out for a year or so.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted