1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Glock 19 or M&P 9 M2.0?

10K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  Pelikan800 
#1 ·
So, I have built my self defense set around a Glock 19 for the last year or two. On and off Glock 19 prior to that. I’m one of those weirdos that always trade and flip. I got the Glock 19 how I want it with magazines up the boot.

I kind of want to switch to the M&P platform now. My reasonings are literally superficial. Reaching out to you all for feedback.

Should I switch? Anyone run an M&P? Any pros and cons from you guys?

#6 ·
I have both and much prefer the Glock.
Ummmmmm........... don't tell these 1911 guys I posted this. :eek:

EDIT
oooops! ...... I forgot that I sent the M&P on its way last week.:confused:

#11 ·
It’s a hard choice. As much as I dislike Glock ergonomics and triggers I discovered a couple of years ago that I could shoot a stock G19 gen 4 better than an M&P 1.0 with Apex FSS trigger, which is about as close as you can make a striker fire trigger feel like a 1911.

Then S&W came out with the 2.0. I have shot several and am a real fan of them, but not enough to make me abandon Glock.

The one important thing I discovered in this journey, generally speaking, is that it doesn’t matter how good a grip and trigger feel to me, it is just not a predictor of how well I will shoot that gun, and without running the same drills on a shot timer with both guns you will never really know which gun you shoot better.

#12 ·
Concur with previous posts.

MP has better ergonomics and thus feels far better in the hand. Trigger is also better than G19 as is the MO’s softer, flatter recoil. I shoot the MP slightly better than the 19.

19 is smaller, more concealable and handier, IMO. Better CCW weapon for that reason.

The MPc compact may be equivalent to a 19 for CCW but have never handled one.

I have several of both.

#15 · (Edited)
Got a few Glocks including Glock 23 gen 3 with a 9mm conversion barrel and it's a great shooter.
Got a Gen 5 Glock 45 MOS in 9mm with an 507C. This gun is outstanding.
However, although I'm impressed with their performance, a Glock Gen 3
shoots like a Glock gen 4 or gen 5, Bla,Bla,Bla...
Everytime I shoot a Glock, I just say, Yep...It's a Glock.

I know Agency, and Zev, and a butt load of other companies have all kinds of ways for me to spend more money on a Glock..But in the end,
it's still just a Glock. They just don't excite me.
And I ain't gonna own a $1500 Glock.

Now....
I bought an M&P Shield 2.0 and could not believe the
handling, accuracy, and trigger of the 2.0.
I now have an M&P 9mm 3.6" 2.0, and an M&P 45 2.0 Compact,
and am ready to sell my Glocks.
If you want a Glock Gen 4, 40 in 10mm with an extra G20 complete Slide and a Glock 41 in .45 with an extra G21 complete slide, send me a PM.
I'll be posting them soon.
Well most of them anyway. I may keep my Glock 45 MOS
until the M&P comes out with a platform that can take and RDS like the Shield.

Just one mans opinion..
Rant over!
Take it for what it's worth.

#18 ·
Got a few Glocks including Glock 23 gen 3 with a 9mm conversion barrel and it's a great shooter.
Got a Gen 5 Glock 45 MOS in 9mm with an 507C. This gun is outstanding.
However, although I'm impressed with their performance, a Glock Gen three shoots like a Glock gen 4 or gen 5, Bla,Bla,Bla...
Everytime I shoot a Glock, I just say, Yep...It's a glock.
I know Agency, and Zev, and a butt load of other companies have all kinds of ways for me to spend more money on a Glock..But in the end,
it's still just a Glock. They just don't excite me.
And I ain't gonna own a $1500 Glock.

Now....
I bought an M&P Shield 2.0 and could not believe the
handling, accuracy, and trigger of the 2.0.
I now have an M&P 9mm 3.6" 2.0, and an M&P 45 2.0 Compact,
and am ready to sell my Glocks.
If you want a Glock Gen 4, 40 in 10mm with an extra G20 complete Slide and a Glock 41 in .45 with an extra G21 complete slide, send me a PM.
I'll be posting them soon.
Well most of them anyway. I may keep my Glock 45 MOS
until the M&P comes out with a platform that can take and RDS like the Shield.

Just one mans opinion..
Rant over!
Take it for what it's worth.
Could you go through that one more time??? I'm slow at taking notes. :confused::confused::confused:

#17 ·
I personally own Glocks, as well as M&P's & M&P 2.0.
In order of preference I'd say:

I like the M&P 2.0 the best (by far really.)
I'd say the Glock Gen 2,3,4 would be next.
Finally the Gen1 M&P Compact last.

That is just my opinion however, and I would not hesitate to grab any of them for carry, duty etc...
I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Reactions: fallenangelhim
#21 ·
No one can tell you. You'll just have to switch and find out.
Been down that road myself. After revolvers and 1911's my first polymer was an M&P 2.0 3.6". I highly recommend that one. Have had Glock 19's, mos and 43's, and Sigs 365 and 320 and P6, also. Now I am carrying my new to me Legion 229. I realized I prefer hammer fired metal guns and metal triggers. Keep the plastic for putting sammiches in.

#22 ·
I've always wanted to fall in love with the M&P. It hasn't happened though Ive yet to own a Mod 2 in any configuration. I've fired thousands of rounds in Glocks, G2, 3, 4 and 5. I still keep a G26 G5 in the stable, got good holsters, mags, etc. I tried a G-48X; sold it, kept the G-26. Go figure. The Glock has a solid place in the rotation, good dog walking gun when not using a J-frame. Stick a beltline riding holster and it's as good a deep concealment gun out there run with a flat bottom mag. NO, I don't own a Sig P365, that's the struggle I'm fighting now - 365 or the XL to try? But the G-26 will likely stick around even with that in the mix.To me, the M&P just never felt right. But then again, I shot mine a thousand rounds - maybe. Versus the Glocks thousandS.

#23 ·
The thing that gets me is the less expensive aftermarket goodies for the Glock. I like to have 10 mags per pistol and that's super easy to do with Glock because of the $10 Magpul mags. When you compare that to the $30+ per mag for all the other competiting brands, it starts to make the Glock look at lot more attractively financially to me. A G19 and 10 mags gets to be a LOT cheaper than a M&P or P10C and 10 mags.

Plus you can pick up a threaded barrel from Bear Creak Arsenal for like $50! You can do a Polymer80 frame in a different color. There are just so many more options for the Glock and those options are also significantly cheaper.

#27 ·
Your heavily invested in the 19 and obviously sticking with it would be the most wise?
but you’ve asked a bunch of enablers?
I’ve never owned an M&P other then a shield with an apex trigger just a great pistol.
If I was to go out and purchase an M&P 2.0 Think Id choose the 3.6. (With safety)
Just something about it. As an Idea Get the M&P and run it for a while, if it’s right then dump the Glock and gear and go full in on the Smith.
And yes I own a Glock 19 good pistol.
But my go to polymer is an HK with a lem trigger.

#28 ·
I dumped my VP9 a year ago. Had one threaded and one for carry. My decision was based on when I was upgrading my threaded one with parts from Hkparts, I discovered some complex and sensitive the internals were. Broke a retaining clip. Springs were super difficult to get into place. I went to Glock for the simplicity. If M&P internals is difficult, then I may keep to Glock.
Your heavily invested in the 19 and obviously sticking with it would be the most wise?
but you’ve asked a bunch of enablers?
I’ve never owned an M&P other then a shield with an apex trigger just a great pistol.
If I was to go out and purchase an M&P 2.0 Think Id choose the 3.6. (With safety)
Just something about it. As an Idea Get the M&P and run it for a while, if it’s right then dump the Glock and gear and go full in on the Smith.
And yes I own a Glock 19 good pistol.
But my go to polymer is an HK with a lem trigger.

#31 ·
Glock 19. Both triggers feel like staple guns to me but I am not a fan of the M&P grip texture. Either one will serve you well.

#32 ·
So, I have built my self defense set around a Glock 19 for the last year or two. On and off Glock 19 prior to that. I’m one of those weirdos that always trade and flip. I got the Glock 19 how I want it with magazines up the boot.

I kind of want to switch to the M&P platform now. My reasonings are literally superficial. Reaching out to you all for feedback.

Should I switch? Anyone run an M&P? Any pros and cons from you guys?
M&P9 ,, change out the trigger assembly to a flat trigger. Good shooter, perfect rake.. good 9.. I think better than the Glock..👍

#33 ·
Try both and decide. I own both Glocks and M&P's. Like both. I have owned a G17 and didn't love the grip angle. My current G19 has a grip angle more like a 1911 (or M&P) and I like it and shoot it well. I've shot a P320 and although it shot well, my thumbs rest on the slide stop which I didn't love. Most modern polymer auto's these days are really competent guns. I think almost every time it comes down to what you like (grip size, grip angle, aesthetics, capacity, what you shoot well, price, etc.) vs. one being truly "better" than another. As I originally said, I currently own both M&P's and Glocks and am happy with both. We live in good gun times!

#34 ·
If you are simply looking for something new and interesting, you might want to look at the Glock clones made by Shadow Systems. I've handled a few and they're very cool guns that use most Glock parts (including magazines). Definitely feel like a step up from a stock Glock and point like a 1911, not a G17.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.