Glock 36

Discussion in 'Autoloaders' started by Mike A, Jan 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    Anyone have one?
    A difficult to see little 45 acp.
    They do not seem to be very popular.
    A friend want's one & I have never seen one.
    Are they any good?

2. mikc

mikc Member

Dec 8, 2013
    I had one for 6 months. A trade came up and was gone. I do like glocks and believe they are great guns for the intent but not in 45. Stick with 9mm. For a plastic 45 would rather have a shield. That baby shoots NICE!

Mike A likes this.

3. Just Terry

Just Terry Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    I had two. One was a bad jammer,the other flawless. Very easy to carry,but was it a bear to shoot! Never wanted to put more than about 25 rounds through it at a time.If I recall,the trigger would bite on recoil. From my research, the 36 was either great or horrid in operation

Old Sea Dragon and Mike A like this.
  4. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    I own two. One has about 5,000 rounds through it and has never malfunctioned on any of many types of ammo. Including a few 10mm rounds.

The other has about 800 rounds through it. My narcissistic girlfriend who could probably beat Tori Nonaka in a room clearing exercise carries it when she doesn't want to carry her 30.

I'm not recoil sensitive and don't wear a dress. So I won't recommend you getting a 9mm or a different gun. I love my 36 for what it is.

5. BillKilgore

BillKilgore Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2015
    I have owned and carried a Glock 36 for years. Mine has been very reliable. The only jams it has experienced were due to inexperienced shooters limp wristing it. From what I have read, they also do not like weak loads. I have used standard factory 230 gr ammo and +P with no problems. I think it is a very good choice for concealed carry if one prefers a .45 over a 9mm.

It appears there were problems with Glock 36s jamming when they first came on the market, which gave them a bad reputation.

6. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    It seems so far that some love it, & some hate it. I have heard that Glocks are known for their reliability. My friend has no limp wrist problem, just wants a light powerful carry pistol that will work when needed. He will not want a 9mm so the 45 acp is his choice & he has no problem with Plastic pistols as I do.

Am I missing any other single stack 45 acp plastic pistols? I recommended an Officers 1911, but I'm a 1911 Addict you know LOL.

7. Addicted2gunz

Addicted2gunz Undecided on whether or not I'm indecisive... Supporting Addict

Jul 14, 2018
    I had one that shot flawlessly, I regret selling it...

Just Terry and Mike A like this.
  8. Just Terry

Dec 24, 2018
    exactly,the early ones were jammers

Mike A likes this.
  9. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    The LGS want's almost $600 for this pistol that seems a bit high.
    Is that the going rate for small plastic pistols today?
    Man I have been getting a real deal @ a $1000 for a 70s Colt 1911 :).
    I have read good things about this G36, but thay are hard to find in stock. The LGS I deal with says they have sold 3 since they came out. While they sell tons of other Glocks & they seem to have a good track record.
    I wonder if most associate the Glock with 9mm & don't look for the 45 ACP in a Glock.
    The pistol must work with the 45 acp & work when you need it. Then I can say it looks like a good deal for a Carry pistol. Glock still makes them, so some folks must like the idea of a 45 acp in a Glock.

william adams likes this.
  10. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    A very potent little package. I much prefer the G30. I think they require a firmer grip than some. We have a husband and wife LEO team at my old agency. They would routinely qualify with each other's off duty guns. For the husband, it was a jam o matic, the wife would come out the same day and it would run 100%.

razorbacker and Mike A like this.
  11. Addicted2gunz

Addicted2gunz Undecided on whether or not I'm indecisive... Supporting Addict

Jul 14, 2018
  12. Just Terry

Dec 24, 2018
    the second one I bought was used at $400,with 4 extra mags from the LGS. They are a great carrying gun,one of the best,but beware,the early ones were problematic

HOTCHKIS, Mike A and Addicted2gunz like this.
  13. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    Just Terry and Addicted2gunz like this.
  14. HOTCHKIS

HOTCHKIS NRA Life Member

Apr 21, 2013
    I have one and carried it a few times. I've shot it some but one IDPA bug practice stands out when shooting from retention. My wrist was killing me afterwards from the recoil.

Just Terry likes this.
  15. sigsauerstx

sigsauerstx Live everyday as it is your last

Nov 8, 2011
    I love mine after removing the finger grooves and restippling . I have since had the slide refinished and installed a Vickers tactical trigger .

My go to carry for hot days wearing just a t shirt and shorts 20180925_132027_1537896092731.jpg client_PART_1543428965251_20180925_132106_1537896095537.jpg

16. Don_P

Don_P Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2018
    I have had my 36 for years and shot it quite a bit. It was my edc when I retired. Although I am shooting it and carrying it even less now that I have grown so fond of the 1911. I cannot remember experiencing any malfunctions or issues that caused me to question its reliability. The 36 is a bit "portly" to carry along with a couple of spare mags. There are smaller profile plastic carry .45's if your friend is still looking. The mass of the Glock prompted me to look at (and purchase) a couple of Springfield XDS', one in 45acp. The single stack XDS is simple, smaller in profile, and basically similar to the Glock except the Springfield also has a grip safety. Its size also makes it a bit snotty to shoot. I do not hate it but there is no love. The moral to my post FWIW, I'm still fond of my 36 (with its LaserMax laser recoil spring tube) but it has been relegated to nightstand gun status, the XDS' are lost in my safe and I'm carrying an officers 1911.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    xerts1191, Just Terry and Mike A like this.
  17. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    As we all know the CCH will be carried much more than it will be shot. However we must shoot a pistol in order to trust that it will go bang when we need it.
    The only small 45 acp I have is a Star Firestar & it is pleasant to shoot & use as a boat anchor LOL.
    From 230 gr to 185s it is easy. So what load would you choose to
    make the 36 into a more pleasant shooter?
    I think I can say the Glock 36 today will work as a CCH & be there when it is needed.
    What about a solid copper Barns load for carry?
    What do you suggest?

18. Don_P

Don_P Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2018
    Not familiar with that particular round but my carry preferences tend toward effective stopping rather than pleasant shooting.

As of now they include Hornadys both "Critical" offerings and Federals HST in .45acp

Just Terry and Mike A like this.
  19. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    Well I have a round loaded by Aquila it's called IQ weighs in at 117 grs & clocks at 1430 out of my Starfire. The projectile is all Aluminum & scored into 3 sections. I have no idea about it's performance. However any projectile clocking at over 1400 fps has got to sting a bit. It claims to fold in & penetrate auto glass & sheet metal. The recoil is like a 38 S&W almost nill.

20. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    Thank you all for your help in understanding more about the Glock 36. I will pass the info to my friend & he can take it from there.
    From what I have learned this little pistol should use the 45 acp to stop bad guys in there tracks.

Just Terry likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted