Glock 48 or 43X...anyone try one yet??

Discussion in 'Autoloaders' started by zipper046, Mar 21, 2019.

1. zipper046

zipper046 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Ok boyz....looking at a the G48 (or G43x) for an off-duty carry piece. Anyone try one or both yet? thoughts?

I had a G43 with Taran Tactical +2 mag extensions. I liked the platform alot for off-duty carry but alas I sold it off to a friend who needed an off-duty (and I still have a G19 and G26).

I was carrying my G19 with a 10 round mag off-duty (I transit NY and other capacity limited states)...and sometimes my G26 with a +2 extension (needed for my large hands) but with only 10 rounds in it.

I have also been carrying a DW CCO (.45acp) and DW ECO (9mm) to see how they are for concealed carry.

I like the CCO...lightweight, accurate, 4.25" barrel for a decent sight radius/picture and velocity. The DW ECO is lightweight, 3.5" barrel is good, and it carries nicely.

But...I carry Glocks on-duty and for off-duty a Glock is a great utilitarian tool.

Soooooo....I'm thinking instead of a chunky G26 or heavier G19 for only carrying 10 rounds...I'd get a G48 or G43X.

Sorry for the long backstory...so...anyone try the G48 or G43x??

Jollyroger1 and william adams like this.
  2. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    I've been pocket carrying a G43 for several years. Just bought a G48 and put some rounds through it. Love it, too. In fact, instead of running a 1911 in Saturday's match I think I'll run the new Block. Mine came with the optional Ameriglo front sight (tritium vial with orange surround) and twin dot tritium vials in the rear sight.

The only challenge is finding spare mags beyond the two that come with them. Extras are still very scarce.

I scared up an extra pair on fleabay at a reasonable price, but the ones I usually see posted are at ridiculous prices.

Oh, and holsters are still hard to find, although my G48 fits in my two open muzzle G43 holsters like they were made for it, except the muzzle sticks out a half inch.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    william adams likes this.

3. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2018
    I’ve tried both and chose the 48. The 43x wasn’t anymore impressive than the regular 43 with TT +3 basepads. The 48 is a slimmer 19 which is what most everyone wanted. I bought both and sold the 43x

4. tgoldie00

tgoldie00 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    I bought a 48 on release day. As I already have a 43, and the 43x and 48 share the same frame...technically the combo gives me essentially 4 pistol options (although the only really compelling one is the home-brew 43x utilizing my 43 slide/48 grip - but let’s digress here).

I carry the 48 often. As StrangerDanger mentioned above, it is a single stack 19. It fits in the hand much like a CCO 1911 - but a wee bit lighter of course. It has typical Glock grip-angle, and utilized 43 accessories (sans holster as mentioned). The aftermarket is getting caught up to it pretty quickly which is also nice. It is a straight shooter, more than adequately accurate, and carries well. Personally I like to have the extra barrel length over the 43 as it isn't too hard to conceal, and gives a notable reduction in muzzle flip and felt recoil. Capacity for me was nearly a wash...I carry my G43 with mag extensions to 8+1, so only 2 rounds difference.

5. zipper046

Dec 28, 2013
    Thanks Goldie! exactly what I was lookin' for....I too like the longer barrel...more weight, longer sight radius, and my gorilla hands don't come to the end of the barrel with a thumbs forward grip, LOL.

tgoldie00 likes this.
  6. tgoldie00

tgoldie00 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    If you decide to grab one, you won't regret it.

7. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    No love for the Sig 365? 10-12 rounds and its smaller than all Glocks.

Babboonbobo likes this.
  8. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Just saw the new RECOVER rail adapters for the 43/43x/48. Now you can use full size lights!!!! Definitely worth it, if you pick up a 43x/48

zipper046 likes this.
  9. zipper046

Dec 28, 2013
    Know Glocks....carry Glocks...work on Glocks...train with Glocks...so sticking with the platform...

The Sig's are nice and the older P series fit me well...but the 365 is a bit too small for my gorilla hands...

Raylan Givens, tarosean and Stogies like this.
  10. Sniper 217

Sniper 217 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    I’ve shot them all and I chose the G43X

Eric likes this.
  11. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    I had a P365 and call me crazy, but I prefer the slightly larger grip of the 43. I sold the Sig and kept the Block.

Chris O, zipper046 and Scaramouche like this.
  12. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    You ought to do a separate thread reviewing your Sig 365

13. tarosean

Apr 7, 2013

I dont have one. Was just tossing an option out there as he wanted small and 10rds.

14. Scaramouche

Sep 15, 2015
    The OP was quite specific in his query

15. tarosean

Apr 7, 2013
    I asked him a question and he responded.. That was the end of it.

Now, if you want to be the tread police making sure everything stays in its lane.
    I am sure WWB would welcome some mod help.

16. Scaramouche

Sep 15, 2015
    Exactly, I have a particular interest in these extended gripped Glocks as I have two 43s and really like them and I wanted the thread to stay on topic. My comments to you were based on watching you derail threads in the past. As far as "Thread police", in this case, I plead guilty.

I have been invited to become a moderator on this forum and turned it down, I am not attempting to fulfill that position with this exchange

17. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    It's a thankless job. I've modded three other gun forums for fairly short stints.
    I prefer to play in the peanut gallery.

Scaramouche likes this.
  18. Scaramouche

Sep 15, 2015
    Your right about that, meanwhile I managed to derail this post all by myself, I'll keep my pie hole shut, sorry guys.

cliff58 and fieldgrade like this.
  19. zipper046

Dec 28, 2013
    Sniper....can you elaborate on why you chose the G43X? I'm heavily leaning towards the G48, and I had a G43 that was good...but thinking the slightly longer barrel may suit me better (I'm 6'3" 220lbs with XL hands, LOL). My original G43 was great...easy to carry....but when I gripped it my thumbs in a thumbs forward grip were pretty darn close to the muzzle...not danger close, but close enough...other than the barrel length I'm looking for additional input: balance, weight, shootability (if that's a word...Spelling police? LOL), etc.

Scaramouche likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted