Glock caliber change

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by july19, Dec 21, 2018.

1. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    Is it possible to change a .40 to a 9mm? If so, what parts are needed and whick manufacturers barrel would be recommended-trigger too?

2. MSGT2511

MSGT2511 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

May 14, 2016
    Yes, it is very possible. Wolf makes a 40 to 9mm conversion barrel, as does Storm Lake. Both have great products.

You'll then need 9mm magazines sized for the gun as well as a 9mm recoil spring guide assembly. This would work well for cheaper range time, but I would be leery about everyday carrying this setup. I have heard it works very well, but the 40 slide has a larger breechface than a 9mm, so total reliability MAY not be achieved with the conversion. A 9mm extractor is recommended by some, but others say it's not needed. A friend is using 9mm exclusively in a Glock 22 with a Wolf conversion barrel, along with 9mm mags, and the recoil assembly, and says so far it has been totally reliable. YMMV

Good luck!

BenchMonkey likes this.

3. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    Thanks much. I’ll pass this info on yo my friend; it’s his pistol and his wotk.

4. N of 1

N of 1 just one more

Nov 3, 2016
    I have several and as long as you use a reliable barrel it's super easy. If it's only a range gun, no worries son the extractor & ejector, if for carry I'd swap em out.

to recap: barrel, recoil spring, mags, extractor, ejector and you're done. Pretty much

If a range gun you can get away with barrel swap alone... yup I've seen guys run 9mm in 40 mags and no spring swap at the range with surprising success, but I don't recommend it. Besides the parts are plug n play, cheap and swappng them out is easier than field stripping a 1911,

BenchMonkey likes this.
  5. rod442

rod442 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2014
    I have a G27 with a wolf 40-9 barrel. This is my only change.
    No extractor, no recoil spring swaps, nothing. All those parts are OE G27 still.
    Works great and I carry it in 9mm with no doubts it will be reliable.

NOW, at the range I do use the 40 mags with 9mm, but I do not carry it that way. For carry I definitely only use 9 with 9 and 40 with 40 regarding barrel and mag pairings.

YMMV, but I bet almost all of them will be just fine with just a conversion barrel.

6. JohnnyEgo

JohnnyEgo Well-Known Member

May 17, 2017
    My experience is a little different. I have a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel, threaded, on a Glock 35. I am running it suppressed, and that changes things a bit. I cannot get it to run suppressed reliably on 115, 124, and 147gr bullets with the same set of springs, nor can I get it to reliably run between suppressed and unsuppressed on 115gr with the same set of springs. I have three different recoil springs I can swap back and forth, and it will run fine with a particular spring and bullet weight. But the need to swap recoil springs keeps it relegated to a range toy for me.

[​IMG]

rod442 likes this.
  7. rod442

rod442 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Indeed.. I would definitely expect a few more complications with a suppressor thrown into the mix. It very may well be that in my tiny glock the 40 spring and 9 were the same from the factory anyway.

I don't believe the laser max guide rod laser I have sometimes used has a different part number for g27/26. It's probably weighed for the 40, and 9 works too.

I could see where heavier/longer slides might need spring changes too. Makes sense. Didn't think about that. On my small glock it's a straight barrel swap though.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted