1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The world over they might be the best defensive pistol so why do they feel like a piece of $hit when you pick one up ? 2 or 3 times i was like i will give it a chance can't seem to spend money on one though. Looked at # 17 and 34. Gen 5 this evening and nope cant do it. Cz75 or 2011 seem like way better option !

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I’ve been assigned a Glock since August 11, 2008. It’s all about what you’re used to. While I prefer the G23 over the issued G22’s, it’s hard to argue there’s a better platform for rural LE patrol. I would love to have carried a 1911, but it would have cut into my soul every time it got drug across concrete, smashing into walls and cars, and other crap that happens to duty guns.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
The 1911/2011 is a work of art while the Glock is a utilitarian tool. I carry a 1911 most of the time but if I’m going to be engaging in work or play that could easily see me damage or lose my pistol, then I’m going with my Glock.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I have owned most of the 9mm versions and a 21 Slim Frame. I really really wanted to like them as a tool yet none ever felt right in my hand. That has changed, and I don't know why, with the 19 Gen 5.

I shot a few of them and really did like them. So much so that last week I got a great deal on a preowned with night sights and everything it came with new, 4 mags, looks new. Went to the range and had a great time, I was fast and accurate with it. This is the early Gen 5 with no front serrations and has the cutout on the bottom of the front strap. I'm not using an add on backstrap.

Once cooler weather arrives it will be a carry piece for me.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
None of the back straps put my hand high enough so the web of my hand is tucked in to the beavertail or whatever polymer gun guys call it.

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
3,365 Posts
@Jrock9, I think it has a lot to do with how it feels in the hand. It's the grip angle. The forward cant is more than most pistols. I've been told it's to help control recoil. To me as well as many it feels strange. Not to say it's bad just different. I've shot a few that belonged to others. Almost bought one a few times. The 1911 or 2011 and also the CZ feels natural. The CZ feels great and I want one. These guns to shoot is as natural as pointing your finger. For me in a plastic gun I prefer a Springfield XDM. Same grip angle as a 1911. I've owned many of them.
Sounds like you're shopping for a high cap handgun. If it's going to be mainly for range I'd say go with a CZ. It's kinda heavy for carry but maybe that's ok. Same will be true for a 2011. You might want to look at a SA XDM. I own a XDM 10mm 4.5 and it's nice in the hand.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Giocks are a souless tool. They have several advantages over other platforms, and several disadvantages too. I have been shooting and carrying them since 1989 when the Glock 19 was first available in my area. Just sold one Glock. 8 more plus 2 complete lowers to get rid of and I will be Glockless. S&W M&P 2.0s are replacing most of those Glocks.

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,546 Posts
I was always intrigued with the G43, from the day it came out. After I finally bought one I went through several different trigger assemblies, firing pin springs and practiced a lot and I'm now a huge fan of the G43. Other models I can not attest to.

Reactions: River runner

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I've sold off all my Glocks twice over the years but for some reason they keep returning to the safe. After I sell them I get to missing them. Doesn't make sense. Kind of the Swiss Army Knife of handguns. Everyone needs one....or ten.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The Glock 48 is my new favorite carry piece. It’s the same height and length as a Glock 19 and it’s slimmer and has a longer barrel. I keep it stock except for the Hogue Grip and the aftermarket flush fit 15 round mags
317E90FD-1C3D-418E-A6C8-FAE4A5F9EED3.jpeg

·
Premium Member
NHC Falcon, T4, Glock 21 all 45 acp Wilson EDC-X9
5,696 Posts
DCF426F2-4C28-4A59-8A68-48D04B92F6EF.jpeg
I've sold off all my Glocks twice over the years but for some reason they keep returning to the safe. After I sell them I get to missing them. Doesn't make sense. Kind of the Swiss Army Knife of handguns. Everyone needs one....or ten.

I’ve done this multiple times myself. Some how I continue to buy another my latest I bought from a sponsor offering it with a Holosun 407C and I couldn’t send him my money fast enough :roflmaro:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been carrying a Glock 31 at work for 15 years. It's as reliable as sunrise. It's gone swimming with me (unintended), been out in the rain for hours numerous times. It's been hot, cold, muddy, dusty, and everything in between. It has just over 20K documented round through it. Frame pins are beginning to loosen, so it'll likely be retired before me. That round count is low for a Glock, high for a duty gun, but the 357 Sig is hard on pistols (at least plastic ones). When our armorer puts FWH *** out to pasture, I'll buy it. I've been through a lot with that pistol. I don't consider FWH *** a soulless piece of plastic.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I've been carrying a Glock 31 at work for 15 years. It's as reliable as sunrise. It's gone swimming with me (unintended), been out in the rain for hours numerous times. It's been hot, cold, muddy, dusty, and everything in between. It has just over 20K documented round through it. Frame pins are beginning to loosen, so it'll likely be retired before me. That round count is low for a Glock, high for a duty gun, but the 357 Sig is hard on pistols (at least plastic ones). When our armorer puts FWH *** out to pasture, I'll buy it. I've been through a lot with that pistol. I don't consider FWH *** a soulless piece of plastic.
Wonderful Glock love story, when the final dance is over, take her home with you! Having an old Glock in 357 sig laying around ain't a bad thing either.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I've got a G17 that earned my respect when I took a 3 day class and put 1500+ rounds thru it without a single hiccup. I've only got a couple of guns left after the unfortunate boating accident but if the SHTF the G17 would be the first one I grabbed. Capacity and reliability are a good thing to have.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts