Going Digital and Need Assistance

Discussion in 'Photography' started by EXFI, Feb 2, 2019.

1. EXFI

EXFI Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Let me start by saying my video and still photography experience has been VHS and 35mm SLR apart from the phone. I have a need for some still shots and some video. I have no camera other than in a phone at present.

I will need some printed still shots. I really do not want to buy a PC and a photo printer.

I see these digital SLR cameras are video capable. I would like to be able to review video in something with a screen larger than the view finder.

I see some of these cameras have bluetooth and some have wifi. Some have both.

I see some have HDMI. I am thinking there might be a way to interface with a TV (??).

Any help here? “Customer service” sales people do not seem to be able to offer much.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    william adams likes this.
  2. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Welcome back K... been a while.
    No help from me on your RFI, just wanted to say Hi.

EXFI and UBOATDOC like this.

3. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Hey I know this one. :p
    Yes

EXFI likes this.
  4. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    EXFI!! Hi bud!!

EXFI likes this.
  5. EXFI

EXFI Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Working exclusively with .735 smoothbore for awhile. I finally got some 1911 action in last week. It was the first time in over a year. I was at a .735 range where we have improvised a pistol range. :)

So there is some kind of patch cord to do this: SLR to TV? A “professional sales associate” indicated one is not able to bluetooth video.

6. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    We hook our camera to the TV. The HDMI cord came with the camera.

EXFI likes this.
  7. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    I have a Sony Handicam SR47 that takes both Video and Still with built in memory, 60X zoom, video stabilization that you can connect to the computer or TV.

My Nikon 1 will also take both and can be connected as well.

They all should have a patch cord.

Karsten

8. EXFI

EXFI Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
    @Karsten

Sounds like you are well prepared. If you could only scrape together enough $$ for one kind of camera for double duty; which way would you go? Why?

Can these modern digital photo processing places print stills direct from the SD card or do you have to put them into some other format?

9. EXFI

EXFI Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
    @Karsten

Or could you scroll through the photos from the camera onto the TV and not even have to bother with printing?

You would be correct in thinking I do not know much about these matters. Just trying not to screw up when I reach for the wallet.

10. Karsten

Feb 19, 2013

The Sony SR47 ( be sure to get the SR47 model as it has the 60 GB Internal Memory built in) would be a great value for the $$ .....60 GB internal memory plug you can add a SIM Card. The camera will store some 45 hours of Video.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-noFSYCbvqor/p_158DCRSR47/Sony-DCR-SR47-Handycam.html

Below I found a couple Great deals..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Handy...h=item1cc818b0f0:g:oQQAAOSwIdVcRO27:rk:2:pf:1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-DCR-S...=item1cc7fbe645:g:wKYAAOSw84ZcTL8Y:rk:17:pf:0

Get some fresh batteries as that will be the weak link in the system.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kastar-Bat...hash=item3b1d93ed86:m:mTtK9z9TAYPhc5VnFXvpxwQ

Just take the SIM Card to Walmart and plug it in, Or you can down load from the camera to a thumb drive and plug that in at Walmart.....Choice the prints you want and print them right there....The machine will sent you pic to the printer and you pick them up where you pay.

Pretty simple after you do it a time or two.

Karsten

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot and EXFI like this.
  11. Karsten

Feb 19, 2013
    Plug the camera in to the computer SD port and go to My Computer File Folder looking Icon on the Bottom Tool Bar of the computer and look for Sony Camera or what ever file it lists. Click on that drive and find the video or pictures you want to watch/view.

Or remove the SIM card and plug it into the Reader plug on the computer or plus it into a External reader and plug that into the USB Port....Back to My Computer and locate that External Device/Drive and click it to open.

If I wanted to go cheap the Sony Handicam is great for Video and takes great stills as well.

The Nikon 1 is a great compact but they are spendy and lens aren't cheap either.

Good DSLR run around $300.00

Karsten

EXFI likes this.
  12. EXFI

EXFI Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Sounds to me like you might favor a video camera for still shots over a DSLR for video. Am I getting that right?

Looks like that Sony video camera might be no longer carried by Crutchfield or discontinued by Sony. Is this maybe the replacement in the same capability range?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158CX455K/Sony-Handycam-HDR-CX455.html

13. Karsten

Feb 19, 2013

If you are trying to stay in a budget that would be the way I would go for a single camera. I have 2 Nikon 1's, 2 Nikon Coolpix and a Nikon D5000. GF uses one of the Nikon 1 and a Coolpix for her ebay pictures. The D5000 is huge.

Coolpix's are handy just to have in a pocket......Take good pic but short video.

I guess it comes down to what you are going to us it for....the video recorder will store up to 45 hours of Video....the camera's aren't going to do that with 16 or 32 GB Card.

60 Power zoom covers a lot of ground to get close ups of games and what not as well.

Karsten

EXFI likes this.
  14. EXFI

EXFI Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Good information. I do not see a need for more video than say 20-30 minutes at a time. Would an SLR handle that kind of duration? I sure prefer the SLR body style to the video cam bodies.

I formerly used a Nikon F3 HP. I am left eyed. Not sure if that is going to be a factor in digital viewfinders of either style body.

15. Karsten

Feb 19, 2013
    I should think you could get at least a couple hours of video on a 32 GB SIM Card. I can't imagine being left or right sided for either type of camera or body as they all have a and full frame view monitor.

Karsten

16. EXFI

EXFI Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
    I remember the F3 HP as having an advantage for me over say a Canon or different model Nikon. That may have only been a problem when advancing the film and trying to maintain contact with the subject. It has been some time ago.

17. EXFI

EXFI Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Image Stabilization? I see some have it and some do not. Is it a must have?

18. Karsten

Feb 19, 2013
    With the 60X Zoom it sure is nice because you don't need a tri pod....you can stand on the dock and video a moving boat holding it in your hand.

For the price of the 2 Sony Ebay listingd you could pick up either one, try it and if wasn't what you were after toss it back on ebay.

Super easy camera to work, fits in the palm of your hand, Push button right on top for your trigger finger or right thumb, Flip out view screen on the left that rotates.

The Sony SR47 is no bigger than say my Nikon 1. The Sony has the variable Zoom the Nikon has a bunch of of lens like your F3.......Both have their strong points....out at a party, ball game the Sony shines Zoom in, Zoom out....take video, take stills.

Nikon 1 can do that same thing if you change from this lens to another lens...Nikon 1 will take video and stills at the same time without interrupting the video....haven't tried it on either.

Sony SR47 has a strap to fix it to your hand where you can walk around all day and it is just there for that one video or still shot. Nikon 1 you wear a strap around your neck and grab it when and if you need it.

Both have Lens caps that need to be opened or removed.

I can do Macro with the right lens on the Nikon 1....haven't tried with the Sony. The Nikon 1 I need to go from the 10-30 to a 30-110 lens ....The Sony you Zoom in and you Zoom out pushing a button.

Now somewhere around here I have a Minolta 35MM SLR and a couple lens....Great camera but just about worthless today.

Karsten

The Sony was state of the art back them for a Digital Camera Recorder and still a nice rig for the money

EXFI likes this.
  19. EXFI

EXFI Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Thanks! I am doing some independent study. I may reach information overload soon!

I studied SLRs for months before deciding on the F3. I hope to be faster this time. :)

I subscribed to a magazine before buying. Modern Photography was the name of the publication I believe. Ordered from some outfit in New York with a telephone call. Guy on the other end knew his stuff. I wonder if you can order any product these days with a phone call.:)

20. rhjeepdriver

rhjeepdriver Survivor

Nov 12, 2018
    B&H Photo is in New York. Might be worth giving them a call and explaining what you want to do.

ronin11 and EXFI like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted