Going to be a guinea pig!

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by ORShooter, Nov 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    Well, I couldn't find any reviews for the new for 2018 Taurus 1911 Officer .45ACP. So, I decided to order one from my local gun shop and am going to give it a go. I wanted a concealable 1911 without spending a fortune, and didn't want one of the Philippine models and I like the life time warranty offered by Taurus. With that said, stand by to stand by and when it comes in, I'll do a range trip and review. :) TW

pcso13, KS95B40, xerts1191 and 6 others like this.
  2. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    I've had the big brother for a few years now with zero problems, PT1911AR.

Forgot to add, I did change the grips and had to do some minor fit work for the ambi thumb safety. The stock magazines are ok, but I moved up to WC's pretty quickly, not a fan of plastic floor plates in a 1911 magazine.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    ORShooter likes this.

3. WC145

WC145 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I have some experience with Taurus guns and I would not have made the same choice. However, I hope it works out for you and I am interested in seeing pics and reading your review and range report.

Josh_Putman, FWoo45 and ORShooter like this.
  4. Joseph Medugno

Joseph Medugno Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2018
    I'm in for the range report.

KS95B40 and ORShooter like this.
  5. ORShooter

Nov 28, 2018
    It should be here in the next few days and I'll take her straight away to the range. Here are the pics from Taurus's website.

I am in contact with Mike of MDgrips to have a set of Elk bone grips made for it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pcso13, KS95B40 and BenchMonkey like this.
  6. john_anch_ak

john_anch_ak Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 7, 2017
    My best friend from way back in junior high, (we didn't have any "middle school" and crybaby liberals in the small town we grew up in).
    Anyway, he has a full size Taurus 1911 and loves it. Once he got through the first 500+ rounds it never even burped after that, just shoots and it goes bang and makes a hole in the target.

BenchMonkey and ORShooter like this.
  7. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Good Luck. Nothing personal against a budget gun but, their CS is some of the worst in the industry... IMO..

FWoo45 and WC145 like this.
  8. WC145

WC145 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2013
    That is part of my Taurus experience.

9. ORShooter

Nov 28, 2018
    Well, here's hoping I get a gem and won't have to find that out first hand! :)

pcso13, KS95B40, WC145 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I've shot some of their full sized guns which were quite impressive for the price. I hope you get a good one and look forward to your review.

pcso13 and ORShooter like this.
  11. ORShooter

Nov 28, 2018
    Ok, she came in today and first impressions are she's a tight little bugger! I took her down and cleaned all the inside, lubed with CLP and checked all moving parts. Trigger is a little gritty but, will probably work out a little with a few hundred rounds down range. Also, she's got a heavy recoil spring. Not as easy to rack like the full size AO. Range report to follow after I take her tomorrow.

[​IMG]

LPRoad, ronin11, pcso13 and 4 others like this.
  12. Lavern23

Lavern23 Glocks r fugly!

Oct 12, 2013
    Looks decent, good luck!

ORShooter likes this.
  13. ORShooter

Nov 28, 2018
    I think down the road I might like some night sights on her.;)

14. Greg3458

Greg3458 Active Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Not bad looking hope she runs well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ORShooter likes this.
  15. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Looks interesting, although I think I would have experimented with the Ruger Officers model instead. I bought one of the first Taurus 1911s in my area back in 2006.

[​IMG]

The fit was not bad although it looked like one could rub the finish off with your thumb (you couldn't). I assume they still have the Series 80 mechanical firing pin safety. Do they still have the the little lock in the hammer?

[​IMG]

I went through a couple hundred rounds and only had a couple minor hang ups. Of course I field stripped, cleaned, and lubed the pistol before shooting it. The trigger pull was not great but not horrible and it settled in braking at about 5lb 6oz. Here is one of my better off hand 6 round groups at 15 yards.

[​IMG]

Anyway I let a lot of my shooting buddies shoot it and for the price (about $500 in 2006) several of them bought one. Now I still have not had any problems with mine but almost all of my friends that bought them had bad problems like thumb safeties falling off, the pistol was a jamomatic, etc. And I guess Taurus customer service was pretty crappy to deal with. Now a lot of my friends give me a dirty look every time Taurus is mentioned. I don't shoot mine that much anymore and am careful who I shoot it with when I do.

16. ORShooter

Nov 28, 2018
    Mine does not have that in the hammer. Also, while the Ruger was $200 more than my price range, I didn't much care for the look of it. Granted, it is American made as opposed to Brazilian made!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted