close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Going to send in the TRP for a little work.

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by CanIhaveGasCash, Oct 3, 2011.

1. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

I already have a new rear sight, slide stop, a solid trigger, and extended mag release from John Harrison. I think I'm going to replace the thumb safety with a wider version, I'm thinking one from Ed-Brown. And last but not least I have a one piece mag well from S&A, however I am really liking the Stan Chen magwell.

Any opinions on what I have picked or anything else that should get replaced while I'm at it? I think I'm going to get the gun re-coated in Black-T as well, maybe I'll spring for ion-bond. The picture is from when the gun was new. It's pretty beat now and since i would have to get all of the new parts coated to match I figured I would upgrade.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Harrison parts are fantastic, and so is Ionbond. I like my Brown safety, I've heard good things from Wilsons as well.

3. Bumper

Bumper New Member

Sep 2, 2011
    In my experience Black T is awful soft when compared to SA's AK. Two 1911s, one with Black T the
    other AK, on the same gun safe pistol rack, in the same safe. The Black T pistol clearly shows
    rub/contact marks from the nylon-coated rack. The AK pistol is mark free. The marks on the Black T coated slide will not buff out. Its purely cosmetic, but of that's an issue, beware. The other finishes on the
    other pistols in the safe-- blued, parked, chromed, stainless-- are also not affected by the safe rack.

4. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    This is my duty gun so it needs to be durable. I'm not too worried about a few superficial marks. I already have a gun finished in Ion-Bond. The one thing that I don't like about it is that it is a fairly rough finish compared to AK or other coatings.

I'm thinking about the Brown safety over the Wilson because the Wilson's is smaller on the right than the left.

5. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Where did you send yours to get Ionbond? Mine isn't rough at all...

6. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    If it's a duty gun, I would opt for a Wilson Bullet Proof ambi safety. This is the He-man of ambi TS. I'd an EB ambi, and it was lack luster. Went with a standard Wilson ambi, and the fitting was much better and tighter.

7. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    It was sent through Nighthawk. I suppose rough was the wrong word. It just isn't as smooth as self lubricating coatings.

The only Wilson Bullet Proof ambi I can find is their "tactical" version which is very small and more geared towards concealed carry. I like their High Ride safety but it does not appear to be a bullet proof version.

8. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I would definitely go with a Chen or Heine magwell and Ionbond. Ionbond really rocks! I have my complete gun done in it and i have 3k through it and still no signs of any type of wear on barrel

9. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    The only thing that is holding me back on the Chen Magwell, besides price, is that I would have to have a dedicated set of grips for that gun, and I'm a bit of a grip whore. I might end up going with the S&A magwell that I already have, even though the Chen looks awesome.

10. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Here's their standard high-ride wide TS.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=...Product/1911-AUTO-HIGH-RIDE-AMBI-THUMB-SAFETY

Here's their bullet proof version TS.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=...=1911/Product/1911-AUTO-EXTENDED-THUMB-SAFETY

Yes, the BF is not as wide as the other version. If you want something that's not cast and in ambi, then WC BP is the only option. Everything else is cast.

11. nomad

nomad Member

Aug 22, 2011
    I used the S&A magwell on my TRP, it fit very nice..

12. John Ryder

John Ryder Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I'd go for the Chen MW, I have one and it is awesome. I'm debating having another installed on a future project, and while they are pricey, they are worth it. If you miss a reload with one then something is wrong with you. The Heinie is a nice alternative but wouldn't use one again just because I like the Chen part that much.

I'm not sure if the TRP's use a MIM plunger tube but I would add that to your list. It is a cheap part and knowing it is a quality part that's been installed properly is piece of mind, IMO.

13. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    I sent my TRP to SACS and really like it alot. :nod:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I can vouch for IonBond being awesome. I have two pistols done in it, and it's the real deal.
    I also have a Heinie magwell that I really love. The Chen one is pretty sweet as well.

15. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    I kind of like the idea of being able to easily replace the S&A magwell if it gets banged up after a few years of use. Even though the Chen magwell is awesome and a work of art, I don't think that I would want to subject it to the daily punishment that a duty gun takes.

Good idea on the plunger tube. Since I'd like to have as little down time as possible, I'm trying to replace everything I can think of now rather than do it later down the road.

16. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    I wouldn't have thought anyone would consider a mag well at all for a duty gun, but what do I know. Guess it depends on the duty. Maybe you should just have the well opened up a bit beyond the bevel you now have? I do love the weld on wells though.

[​IMG]

17. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    I've never seen a 1911 used for duty without a mag well. Some guys with double stacks have ridiculously huge mag wells. I don't see a reason why you wouldn't want one.

18. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    Kimber Pro Carry and SIS are two that come to mind, but like I said. What do I know? Good luck to you.

19. SDM

SDM Member

Sep 14, 2011
    I would recommend the Chen magwell. That's what I have on my duty gun which is also a TRP Operator.

20. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I personally wouldnt do a magwell for a duty gun other than a chen/heine or the caspian enforcer frame.

A 2 piece magwell can loosen up and twist and not allow you to perform a reload, and a 1 piece can do the same thing by getting bent.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted