Gold bead front sights...

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by awpk03s, Dec 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Anyone using a gold bead front sight for a HD or CCW weapon?
    How do you like the sight picture? How is it in low light?

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011

3. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    I want one. I had a pistolsmith hold one up in fairly dim room and from 15 feet away it almost glowed. Plus I just can't get over the looks of FO sights.

4. cdunn

cdunn Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Nov 20, 2011
    I have one on my 10-8,I like it, when clean it picks up light pretty good.I have brass on other pistols also.

5. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I have a custom brass bead on my stinger and I like it a lot.. a good carry sight for old eyes.. Ron

6. hogrider05

hogrider05 Member

Sep 12, 2011
    [​IMG]
    These two are in my safe with no direct light on them.

Jimhoag likes this.
  7. Samcro

Samcro US Army Retired 1911 Supporting Addict

Nov 19, 2011
    aaaahhhh Bad / good thought running through my head TRP slide headen to smith . LOL

8. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    good stuff!!!

i installed 2 sets of brass bead fronts on Hokie's Glocks yesterday, and i think if i were to go with a bead sight, it would be the gold one. The brass was tarnished, and while it was easier to see than say a tritium sight at the range, it wasn't as effective as my FO sights that i have on one of my carry guns. It looks like the gold will stand out quite a bit more than the brass.

9. Samcro

Samcro US Army Retired 1911 Supporting Addict

Nov 19, 2011
    my TRP has tritium sights on it now came that way even the dove tail is cut and blended down , However I love the Gold Bead sight look .

10. hogrider05

hogrider05 Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Ya, the thing with gold is it will never tarnish. They shine with minimal light available.
    Of course they cost more than brass, but worth it.

11. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Joe did a really nice job on the one on my Springer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Melter942

Melter942 Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2011
    I just got back from an indoor range... First outing with new gold bead front sight.

What a pleasure to finally have a front sight I can see without my reading glasses!

13. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    indeed.. I like the fiber optics at the range...

14. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    The night sight on my Vbob is the only thing on it I don't like. Love the rear, it's just the front I don't see great. Which gold bead would y'all get for it? And how hard is install? Hopefully I could do it myself, I haven't been impressed by the only gunsmithing I've had done locally.

15. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    see if novak has the correct cut for the DW (they use the Springfield cut for the front)
    another option is SDM, but they don't have a Springfield cut, so more work would be needed.

16. TexShooter

TexShooter Member

Aug 19, 2011
    What's the cut for the Baer? Std Novak?

17. LBC45

LBC45 In Therapy, no hope

Sep 8, 2011
    Yes believe so, You have to have the shop drill out the pin on the front site, as Baer uses a blind hole, Novak's will drill straight through when they install a Sight if you go through them. You only have to sent them (Novak's) the slide, turn around is about 10 days. Make sure you have the correct height, if you need to increase or lower for your shooting needs.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  18. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    I had one done by Novak on my DW Pointman and they do nice work. One thing about Novak is they have some type of a swirl pattern on there gold bead, it is not polished or domed like some of these guys custom ones. It has a flat face to it. These are the only pics I have right now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    That is the Harrison HD-001 rear I put on, because I wanted a fixed sight and it is a nice option if you have a bomar cut and want a fixed rear sight. The only option I know of. I think that Novak front sight cost $125 with shipping of just the slide about a year ago, so they are not cheap.

Mike

20. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    I have one from Novak on a Christensen and one from Lou on the Colt build, I like Lou's better but I'm a fan of the gold bead.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted