1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have asked this question directly to some custom and semi custom makers and no one could answer this question so I would like to hear your opinions. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Q: I like look and functional aspect of gold front sight but concerned about galvanic corrosion in between steel and gold (in case of 14K gold, copper, silver, and zinc). Is gold bead sight (14K or 24K) susceptible to galvanic corrosion in the long run?
Water in a solvent can work as electrolyte (like mpro7 or slip2000 solvent) and even some oils can conduct electricity (oil companies do not disclose every chemical composition in their MSDS. I have contacted several oil companies and representatives said they don't know their oil contain electrolyte or not). For instance, one time breakfree clp rep said it does contain electrolyte and then other breakfree clp rep said their product does not.
Also, copper and silver content in 14K gold can corrode and sulfur (thiadiazole) used in most of corrosion inhibitors can tarnish silver isn't it? Is galvanic corrosion on gold front sight inevitable? Or is there a way to prevent it? It would be very disappointing to spend $11000 on a custom gun and find galvanic corrosion 30 years later.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
I have gold bead sight 4-5 years old now, zero corrosion or issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bender I buy gold coins. Even 24K American buffalos are suffering from what people in the circle call red plague. 24K gold is 99.99 percent pure but that 0.01 is causing red plague let alone 14K.

·
Premium Member
31,250 Posts
Gold can and will discolor. It will NOT corrode. Take a look at a high school chemistry book.....it’s considered non reactive.

I’ve worked aircraft for 35 years. I know a think or two about galvanic corrosion. I don’t know what you think you are seeing.

if you want answers, quit arguing and answer the damn question. Who did you feel the sight from? None of the quality makers use plated studs. I would suspect you might have a cheap arse for that is plated and not solid gold.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pure gold does not corrode. You can't buy 100% pure gold. I do not know anyone selling a truly pure gold. If you know let me know I collect gold. Gold beads used in 1911s are 14K and 10K. Far from pure.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,829 Posts
Gun makers have been putting gold beads in sights forever, I've never heard of any kind of corrosion issues with them. I know that I have guns over 50 years old with gold bead front sights and no problems.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,798 Posts

·
Failed all therapy
3,160 Posts
It would be very disappointing to spend $11000 on a custom gun and find galvanic corrosion 30 years later.
If it lasts 30 years, who cares if it corrodes (which I believe it won’t)? If it is truly an $11,000.00 gun, a new front sight is going to cost you a couple of hundred bucks........

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,798 Posts
Hit it with one of these . . . . . .

Text Poster Advertising Illustration Graphic design

. . . . . . and your worries are over . . . . . . . .

Does wonders on my brass bead . . . . . .

Blue Yellow Line Electric blue Majorelle blue

·
Premium Member
8,151 Posts
For 11K they should throw in Diamonds! Must be nice.
Pistol Dynamics?
Too soon . . . . . ?
I saw diamond sights somewhere and actually emailed for a quote. I thought about dismantling some of Mrs. C's earring studs..... She wanted to know how "ball" sights would work.... snip, snip
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,518 Posts
An element that does not oxidize is one thing. An element that does not react with other elements , is another. Gold will not rust. However it will react with halogens such as Chlorine. It can also be disolved by a mixture of Hydrochloric and Nitric acid. So to say Gold is chemically inert ( non reactive) is not true. But it is pretty safe to say that it is stable under just about any ambient condition a gun would be subjected to. You'd really have to go out of your way to get it to Chlorinate it to AuCl3, and it would happen very very slowly if exposure levels were high enough, and temperature was high enough.

I have gold beads and the most I can say is they have gotten dirty from time to time. A rub down with rubbing alcohol and a q tip usually does the trick.

Edit: I have a gold bead from John Harrison that is 18K. It is brighter than my others.. I don't know what carat those are

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.