1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading multitudes of opinions and some factual evidence, I can't see much reason to keep using hollow points in my 45's. I've never shot anyone but from what I can see at 800 fps, if you can hit com, I wouldn't think over penetration would be that much of an issue. They are cheaper than high end HP rounds and feed 100 percent reliably. So there. I'm gonna do it.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Using FMJ for carry ammo would be like entering a ‘57 Chevy in the Daytona 500.
That's really not a good comparison. It would be like entering a "'57 Chevy in the Daytona 500" after you tore down the wall between the track and the stands.

·
Premium Member
26,232 Posts
Technology

FMJ is old out dated shiOt
There are JHP that dot as hard, drive deep, open up almost 50%, and don’t over penetrate like FMJ has done.

Why use old, out dated ammo? It’s just not smart. Trade in the computer for a teletype while you’re at it.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I've seen a lot of Federal Hydra-shocks shot through Colts and Springers without any problems. Why give up the benefits of modern bullet design when all you really need is to pick a load that runs reliably in your pistol? I also am not concerned about over penetration, but wouldn't want to give up the other benefits of an expanding bullet.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've seen a lot of Federal Hydra-shocks shot through Colts and Springers without any problems. Why give up the benefits of modern bullet design when all you really need is to pick a load that runs reliably in your pistol? I also am not concerned about over penetration, but wouldn't want to give up the other benefits of an expanding bullet.
My reasoning is based on reading lots of opinions and shooting incidents. I just don't think at 800 fps there's that much risk of over penetration.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Technology

FMJ is old out dated shiOt
There are JHP that dot as hard, drive deep, open up almost 50%, and don’t over penetrate like FMJ has done.

Why use old, out dated ammo? It’s just not smart. Trade in the computer for a teletype while you’re at it.
I hear there were lots of casualties in the wars from FMJ loads in 1911 pistols. I appreciate your reply but teletypes don't compare to computers sir. Bullets all do the same thing which is leaving a metal tube at high speed. Now if you had said trade my modern PC in for an archaic 8086 pc with one floppy drive, you may have been on to something! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Many guys that carry 1911's in my area including the few LE officers that still carry a 1911, prefer to carry 185gr. JHP Golden Sabre ammo staggered in their magazines with 230gr. ball ammo.
GS JHP's have such a rounded bullet that they feed like fmj's.

Their theory: 230 ball for penetration of heavy winter clothing and barriers and the JHP's for expansion and wound cavity. Makes perfect sense to me. My WC ULCC 45 functioned great with that combination of 400 rounds.

·
Premium Member
26,232 Posts
I hear there were lots of casualties in the wars from FMJ loads in 1911 pistols. I appreciate your reply but teletypes don't compare to computers sir. Bullets all do the same thing which is leaving a metal tube at high speed. Now if you had said trade my modern PC in for an archaic 8086 pc with one floppy drive, you may have been on to something! ;)
The use of FMJ for carry is like stepping back in time 50 years. So, yes......it’s relevant.

carry what you like, but from what you are typing, you are extremely uninformed.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The use of FMJ for carry is like stepping back in time 50 years. So, yes......it’s relevant.

carry what you like, but from what you are typing, you are extremely uninformed.
That's easy to say but in reality aren't we all just going by what we have heard? How many of us here have shot enough people to really be able to say one bullet type is better? I know I haven't.

Most hollow points only work at a certain velocity level usually around a 1,000 FPS. From what I have read the velocity of a 230 gr ball round is less than that, so I just can't see that it makes much difference. Just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 278 Posts