1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I should do a quick post asking for help on a good book to learn 1911 functioning, basic smithing and repairs, as now that I am retired, I need something to occupy my mind/money........

TIA for the suggestions.

Lon

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Kuhnhausens manuals are good technical books ...for specs and reference...

There is a 2 vol set of books from Gun Digest on the 1911 ...one is red / one is a blue cover ...they provide a lot of very good general info...features, maintenance, etc...

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have both volumes of Kuhnhausen’s and Kuleck’s book, too. Enjoy them both. Kuleck’s is more fun to read but I re-read both authors every year. Always pick something new up and understand more each time. Maybe I’ll understand everything by the time I’m 80.

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,166 Posts
The Walt Kuleck and Drake Oldham books are the best you can buy. Skip Kuhnhausen...but that's just my opinion man.
This.
I have both Kuhnhausen books and both Kuleck books.
If you want to build, get the Kuhnhausen.
If you want to really learn about your 1911 and it’s history, get the Kuleck books- in particular the first book. The second one goes into more spec details and starts to become a bit like Kuhnhausen’s.
Odd warning though- Kuleck’s books seem to be typed out in 6 point font. I mean they jam 4 books of words into one book. So if you have some problems reading small text; see if you can get the book(s) on a Kindle or iPad where you can adjust the size of the font. My eyesight is good, but even I found myself getting jumbled a bit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I ordered Kuleck's first book, so I can get the story and history first before moving into the mechanics. If I stick with it, will likely get/read the others later after finishing the first..

Lon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts