close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Good evening! Seeking advice.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Valera, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Valera

Valera New Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Good evening,

My name is Valera and my handgun collection is slowly growing. However, out of all the .45s that I own, it's my Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special that always seems to make its way to the range with me. I think I've been bitten by the 1911 bug.

I want my next purchase to be something that I can pass down to my future kids. At the same time, I don't think I could resist carrying or taking it to the range with me to run a few drills. Wherever I look, Rick Heinie is always at the top of the list. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to get on his list as he's retired. I've been looking at Pistol Dynamics and even talked with someone over the phone about ordering a Signature line 1911. However, in talking with a good friend who owns the local holster shop, he made some calls and arranged for me to talk with Ted Yost at Heirloom about a custom 1911 in the semi-near future.

I want something that I can carry and rely on with a nice finish. It is also resilient and will last so I can hand it down. Should I go with Mr. Liebenberg or should I consult Mr. Yost? I've heard that I can't go wrong with either, but I don't want to second guess myself years down the road.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Valera

2. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Welcome :wave:

I doubt you could go wrong with either. Personally I would go with Ted. Seek out bac for better opinions than I can provide.

3. deadguy

deadguy Jerry Lewis Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    There's a couple of guys around here as well that you may want to consider.

4. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Either way is pure win, however, build philosophy is different. If I could I would get a Yost if I you have that kind of inside scoop.

5. Blayglock

Aug 18, 2011
    Agreed. Take a look at Joe Chambers stuff.

6. Valera

Valera New Member

Oct 3, 2011
    I appreciate the input. Blayglock, what's your input on their differing philosophies? Mr. Hand, what sways you towards Heirloom Precision?

7. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Me, I have always liked the work he does and the other two at Heirloom. Deadguy makes a good point as well... Chuck Rogers and Joe Chambers are regular posters here who also do fine work and are worth considering if you are up for other options.

I hope bac1023 comes around soon. He owns a Pistol Dynamics and a Yost and could provide better information than I ever could to help you out. He talks about both in his buyers guide. If you have not seen it yet, here is a link.

http://www.1911addicts.com/showthread.php?511-Buyer-s-guide-for-all-you-1911-addicts...

8. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Chuck isn't taking full custom work and Joe has a 2 year waiting list as well. If he has an in at Heirloom, I would give my left nut for an opportunity like that. That being said, I would prefer to have Jason do my build over Ted if any way possible. His stuff is simply gorgeous. Ted does outstanding builds (as does Steve) but something about Jason's guns just make me drool. Paul L does some amazing stuff too, so either way....you win.

Shoot Bac1023 a PM and pick his brain. As mentioned, he has a Yost retro Colt and a PD Signature (I think) and is a MOUNTAIN of info on 1911s.

Welcome aboard by the way. :thumb:

9. 38 Super Fan

38 Super Fan Bass Fishing Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Welcome aboard! That's a great problem to have, Yost or Liebenberg? Wish I had that dilema, no way I can afford either. :grin:

10. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Welcome to the addiction!

You got it REAAAAAL bad from from what you just described!

It's an enviable position you're in,having to choose between 2 premier smiths.I have an SRT BHP that was built a few years back by Yost-Bonitz that I just can't pry out of my wife's hands. :Cry:

Yost does some GREAT work with metal,but so do ALL of the gents that have been mentioned.

I think the end decision for you to make is WHOSE particular build philosophy meets your expectations the best.No matter which shop you choose,it's going to be a while before you get your hands on the finished product so don't let the turnaround time be a factor in your decision.

Good luck,congrats and I am glad your on board! :welcometo:

DAT85

11. LBC45

LBC45 In Therapy, no hope Supporting Addict

Sep 8, 2011
    As stated above, you cant go wrong with Ted, I have a few of his SRT Brownings, they are outstanding. All the folks at his shop are first rate.
    Welcome to a great forum. Regards.

12. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    Welcome aboard Valera! What a great way to get into the full 1911 swing. When I think back now, I should have just went with a full custom when I was convinced that this platform is where I want to be with. Instead, I keep purchasing around on the edges, and just keep looking at the customs! Yes, it's a bad addiction!

13. Blayglock

Aug 18, 2011
    Well this is just my amature opinion but it seems that Heirloom Precision more of a retro or classic build kind of gun and PD is more action or tactial end of things. He even claims on his website that his guns are well represented in LEO and Mil applications. You could get something cool or unique from either one though.

It really depends on what you are looking for. Action sports, bullseye, CCW, pass down to the grandkids? Since you stated passing down to the kids I think an Heirloom would be appropriate.

14. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
  15. Valera

Valera New Member

Oct 3, 2011
    I appreciate all the input. There sure is a wealth of knowledge just from this thread alone. I messaged bac1023 on here as well as per someone's suggestion on thehighroad so I hope I can get his two cents as well.

Blayglock, I can definitely see with your assessment of Liebenberg's style vs. Yost's style; it appears that Mr. Yost pays homage to the "naturale" 1911 whereas Mr. Liebenberg's 1911 has sleek edges that give it that modern appeal for military/LEO personnel.

While I do intend to pass this custom 1911 (as well as all my handguns) down to my future kids, I think there's more value in the handgun's sentiment, character and soul than there is in a handgun's (read: safe queen's) pristine condition. This custom 1911 built from the ground up is something that I would enjoy using at the weekly range/shoot house session or that I would carry/holster and reliably know that it'll shoot without failure. It'll have the scratches and holster wear that'd tell my kids, long after I'm gone, that it was my favorite handgun to carry with pride. The dings on the frame are from a class that my kid and I would take with Clint Smith at Thunder Ranch (for example). To me, it's things like that that would just add value to an heirloom. In fewer words, I'm planning on using it and not storing it.

It seems that people's preferences tend to lean towards Mr. Yost, but I wanted to clear up a few questions some of y'all had regarding whether I'd use it, etc. Despite that additional insight and based on what people have already said, I still think that people might lean towards Mr. Yost, though.

Thanks again and I look forward to your responses.

Rgds,
    Valera

16. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
    :welcome:

I returned your PM. The intended use is a big factor.

Liebenberg builds some of the best shooting pistols in the world. Yost is more traditional.

They are two of the best of the best.

17. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Welcome aboard. The Baer is a good way to start, and your decision is an enviable one.

I would echo was most have said; from what I've heard about their build philosophies, they're comparable in quality but differ in style.

Andy

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted