Good manners. A pro tip.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Dangerous Brian, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Dangerous Brian

Dangerous Brian Pigtails and butter please...

Dec 9, 2013
    When selling multi thousand dollar pistols to forum friends please don't send them out this filthy.
    It kinda kills the "I got a new gun buzz" right out of the gate. Thank you.

IMG_5796.JPG

2. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Damn! Sorry to see that:jawdrop:

3. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    That's why I seldom sell guns. You have to clean them first.

Whiten, simonp, Glanoril and 12 others like this.
  4. slovan

slovan Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2018
    That sucks. I have experienced some dirty guns here but not filthy like I have on GB. Sometimes I wonder if people even know how to field strip them let alone detail strip.

5. Dangerous Brian

Dangerous Brian Pigtails and butter please...

Dec 9, 2013
    This was a field strip only. And a non 1911.

6. Oldgunner

Oldgunner Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2018
    It never ceases to amaze me when I examine a gun for sale at the local shop or at a range and it's obvious that the seller hasn't done a thing to clean the gun up. I guess they don't realize how much of a turn-off that is. Either that, or they're trying to hide a defect - which is stupid. Fortunately, just about everyone who's selling on this forum is very good about selling clean guns and honestly identifying any defect that might exist.

BigJimP likes this.
  7. unclebuck5

unclebuck5 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    Someone has to explain to me how a gun that is never cleaned, doesn't wear more quickly. At the very least any lube used will break down with heat. Do the people that don 't clean their guns, also not change oil in their cars?I

in this case its disrespectful to sell anything in that condition.

BigJimP likes this.
  8. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    I always clean my guns before selling them. Should be a rule.

slovan likes this.
  9. HooDoo Man

HooDoo Man Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 26, 2017
    I keep all mine clean. All the time. I don't feel right if there in my safe dirty. Just me.

BigJimP, Coolsound and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  10. Hunt5877

Hunt5877 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 27, 2019
    Poor manners indeed, any man who can afford multi thousand dollar guns has no budget left for all those q-tips! That's ammo money right there...bastards...

11. cwoods

cwoods Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    @unclebuck5 Yes I change the oil in my vehicles.
    Sorry to OP. Dude should have sent you a clean gat.

12. HooDoo Man

HooDoo Man Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 26, 2017
    If you send a dirty gun to a Gunsmith or Armorer........Don't expect miracles.

13. cwoods

cwoods Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    What does running a dirty gun have to do with miracles and gunsmiths? If one is selling or sending a gun to a smith sending a clean gun is the respectful, courteous and right thing. A dirty gun doesn't denote a broken gun, typically it is a testament of the opposite. I think many would be shocked at how many shooters runs "dirty" gats, a number of those shooters being smiths themselves. Not neglected but loved and lubed.

14. Glanoril

Glanoril Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2015
    I bought my old detective special years ago off of Gunbroker. It came to me in an old orange gun sleeve (the zip up kind) that had literally disintegrated on the inside. Little orange specks flew out all over when I opened it. I thought "What a jerk, sending out a gun in a beat up old case like this". When I got home I noticed some grittiness when pulling back the hammer, upon taking off the side plate I realized that someone had liberally applied grease to the inside of the gun and STORED it inside that old case. The grease had done a good job of gathering those specs and turning into a really nice sludge. I had to detail strip that old revolver and scrub off every part. I wish I had thought of taking pictures of it, I don't think anyone would believe me if I tried to describe the extent of the sludge.

Long story short, it should be legal to drive to the homes of people who don't clean guns before selling them and slap them.

BigJimP and simonp like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted