1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The Tinker
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about building a long slide (6") 10mm and need a decent quality slide.

When talking to Elliott at Jem Guns yesterday he cautioned me about Caspian a bit. So I'm looking for suggestions regarding alternatives. I will continue to do my own research as well.

Suggestions from those who have built a long slide would be especially appreciated. :)

Reactions: HOGRIDER

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm thinking about building a long slide (6") 10mm and need a decent quality slide.

When talking to Elliott at Jem Guns yesterday he cautioned me about Caspian a bit. So I'm looking for suggestions regarding alternatives. I will continue to do my own research as well.

Suggestions from those who have built a long slide would be especially appreciated. :)
What’s wrong with Caspian slide, what did Elliott say? If you don’t mind to share with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
378 Posts
And a well known 1911 'smith who shall remain nameless recently confided in me that JEM frames are not as good as Caspian frames in terms of the correct location of the various frame holes. So there you have it. Nobody makes perfect stuff.

Not too long ago I finished a long slide .45 using a JEM frame and a Caspian slide. There were relatively small inconsistencies in both which is what makes putting these things together more of a challenge (like I need it to be any harder than it already is).

·
Banned
824 Posts
The two I'm aware of that make long slides are Caspian and Fusion. Never really heard anything bad about Caspian either, so I too am curious what you were told?

·
The Tinker
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And a well known 1911 'smith who shall remain nameless recently confided in me that JEM frames are not as good as Caspian frames in terms of the correct location of the various frame holes. So there you have it. Nobody makes perfect stuff.

Not too long ago I finished a long slide .45 using a JEM frame and a Caspian slide. There were relatively small inconsistencies in both which is what makes putting these things together more of a challenge (like I need it to be any harder than it already is).

Didn't mean to offend.

I know nothing is perfect. Elliot was just commenting about some 'small inconsistencies'. Some of this could have been attributed to tooling/cutter wear on a particular batch. Who knows? He didn't elaborate, and I didn't ask.

As I don't know a lot of vendors who offer 6" 40 cal slides, I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone could offer additional suggestions. And some did.

@azpoolguy: Thanks for the link. I'd not heard of them before. Will investigate. :)

·
Banned
824 Posts
Caspian has a lifetime warranty on their slides so I wouldn't worry about it too much, they'll take care of you if you have an issue. Also, Fusion is the only one I can find that offers a 7" long slide, which is pretty awesome.

·
The Tinker
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Caspian has a lifetime warranty on their slides so I wouldn't worry about it too much, they'll take care of you if you have an issue. Also, Fusion is the only one I can find that offers a 7" long slide, which is pretty awesome.
Yea, I saw that 7" slide. Gives new meaning to the term 'hog leg'.

I wonder if they make a 7" barrel? Not sure I want a 7" pistol though. Although, you could load up some pretty impressive 10mm reloads to take advantage of the extra barrel length. Things that make you go hmm... :)

·
Banned
824 Posts
Yea, I saw that 7" slide. Gives new meaning to the term 'hog leg'.

I wonder if they make a 7" barrel? Not sure I want a 7" pistol though. Although, you could load up some pretty impressive 10mm reloads to take advantage of the extra barrel length. Things that make you go hmm... :)
They do have a 7" barrel to go with it. I want to build one in 10mm one day, seems like it'd be a real nice shooter.

·
The Tinker
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
The Tinker
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No one. Had Jem send a scrap piece of dustcover along with the frame and had it laser welded on to extend it.
Nice! :thumbs:

Reactions: mlea5150
1 - 20 of 28 Posts