Got my feet wet.

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Okie, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Okie

Okie Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Well peeps I got my feet wet yesterday afternoon. A while back it dawned on me that my Range Officer had a cheap no name hammer spring in it, and I thought that's not kool and I ordered a Wolff spring for the pistol. Before yesterday all I could do besides a detail strip was take out the firing pin and extractor, well I watched you tube videos on replacing hammer springs till I was blue in the face and I had a guy that knew how to do it stand over my shoulder to make sure I didn't screw up and I changed out the spring. It was a piece of cake really, so now I have that under my belt:thumb:

2. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    Congrats. Sometimes you just gotta jump in head first and take the plunge. Feels good, don't it.

3. Okie

Okie Member

Aug 18, 2011
    It feels good for sure, not to mention it was easy as hell:thumb:

4. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    JMB does know how to build a gun! Pure genius!

Did you know that you can use an empty 45 case as a back up spring plug? Or that the GI can be taken apart w/o any tools? All needed tools are part of the gun...

5. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Great accomplishment Okie

6. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Back in the day,I could even do my own trigger jobs.

These days I buy Baers so I don't have to! :biggrin1:

But detail stripping is something that every 1911 owner should know how to do.
    Even if you only take 'em down to the frame every 5k like I do,it's a skill set we all need to have.

DAT85

7. Okie

Okie Member

Aug 18, 2011
    I didn't know about the empty 45 case as a back up spring plug for sure, I do know that the GI can be taken apart w/o any tools:thumb:

8. Okie

Okie Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Detail stripping is next my friend:thumb:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted