Dan Wesson Got the PM9 out and hit the extra WOW button!

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Badabing11, Jan 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    I tend to run my stainless guns on the wet side. Why? I don't really know.

Anyway, about 300 rounds ago I decided I was going to lube my PM9 lightly. One small drop on each of the recommended lube points and just wipe it down with my finger.

Today, something happened with my PM9. It went from what I thought was a great shooter to the smoothest running gun I've ever had. I'm beginning to wonder how much nicer my other guns will run if I lessen the lube. It has that feeling like it just achieved break in status.. again.

I also shot it better than ever today.

I was so happy, I told my buddy it made me want to buy another 1911. He said, "what do you want to buy now?" I said another PM9 :roflmaro:

Comments from other reformed over lubers?

EDIT: Don't know why Ed Brown came up in the title, I clicked Dan Wesson and it won't let me change it back to DW !

2. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Where you put one small drop I put 2 but that’s about as heavy as I lube a 1911. @1911_E1 should read this LOL. Swear every time he cleans a gun looks like Exxon Valdez.

firecop, ZArugby, Shocker2000 and 5 others like this.

3. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    What lube do you use? Sounds thick

Badabing11 likes this.
  4. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    I use gunfighter it’s not very thick slightly thicker then FP10

Badabing11 and wcanterbury like this.
  5. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    Well, you’re posed to use FP 10 according to DW. I did run that for the longest time, but it would run all over and not stay where I wanted it.

A friend of mine suggested Slip 2000 EWL. I tried it on another gun first, and you’re right it’s thicker than fp10.

I had sworn I was done trying lubes. I don’t know if this is any better or worse. I never tried less on another brand.

At one time I was using a blend of fp10 and Brownells action grease. It was incredibly slick. I actually think too much so that it effected the timing of the action. Ejection pattern used to be extremely inconsistent. Today , the first day I used less lube, my ejection pattern would have dropped them all in a 5 gal pail. There’s probably a good chance my excess lubricant of yesteryear was getting on my extractor.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Greenrunner and wcanterbury like this.
  6. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    Ok I was just curious. I use FP-10 exclusively and lube liberally and my guns run slick and smooth.

Badabing11 likes this.
  7. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    Razer, thank you for fixing the header in my thread to say Dan Wesson!

Razer likes this.
  8. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Fantastic! Sounds like an awesome Dan Wesson!!

I’ve been lusting for a PMC in 38 Super...

Old Sea Dragon, gps man, Dwe and 4 others like this.
  9. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Part of why I like shooting your guns. All that dripping oil reminds me of BACON

41 Charlie, Jollyroger1, Dwe and 3 others like this.
  10. dash

dash Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2016
    I probably over lubed my (former) PM9 with FP-10 but it made cleaning a breeze! That was one awesome shooter.

Jollyroger1, Badabing11 and stlgecko like this.
  11. samuse

samuse Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    I lube way heavy. Always have. No problems. Guns are smooth as snot on a doorknob.

Badabing11, dash and stlgecko like this.
  12. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    39F5B615-5C76-4C39-B5BD-602DA383814E.jpeg

I put lots of FP10 on my PM9 and it runs and runs. With a little after market loving it’s an even better pistol! So much so I can’t imagine what a semi custom would do better. Can’t stop posting pics - I’m so happy with this pistol.
    Jeff

13. RatBikeRod

RatBikeRod You Don’t Know Me!

Nov 22, 2017
    Liberal lumber here. I tend to either use Wilson Combat pink/red oil or Lucas medium.

However, I admit to being a bit addicted to the smell of Frog Lube and Bore Butter....its kinda like my relationship with WD-40....

...maybe I said too much...:oops:

14. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    From my personal experience , a custom doesn’t shoot any better in my hands. A better shooter might see a difference.

I too did a little aftermarket work. I put a C&S sear spring in it. The trigger is now at 2 3/4 lb. I also did a thick bushing, custom plug and GI guide rod.

The biggest difference between this and a custom for me; I don’t feel bad if I put a scratch on this one ;)

Sharptop, JNW and 41 Charlie like this.
  15. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Back in the day when we carried 1911s in the military, we lightly lubed; otherwise, your handgun would be a dirt/sand/junk magnet real fast. Of course, those 1911s did not have the tight tolerances we see in these modern ones, and I do not sleep in holes in the ground anymore. But out of habit I still do not heavily lube my 1911s and they shoot fine.

16. mikes250r

mikes250r Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2018
    I use a generous amount of FP10 with good results. Lately I’ve trying Weapon Shield and I like it a lot too. Lucas gun oil did well in some testing I read but have not tried it. I usually clean my DW’s after about 400 or more rounds and lube well and the things just run great.

Badabing11 likes this.
  17. BloodyBill

BloodyBill Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 1, 2017
    I use Lucas gun Oil on everything. Its a great lube and it stays in place for a long time.
    I generally field strip clean every 200 rounds. For my carry gun it's more like 100/125 rounds.

Badabing11 likes this.
  18. pcar157

pcar157 Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2019
    JNW, enjoy looking at the pic of your PM-9. Could you share where you purchased the magwell and did you do the install or someone else?

Badabing11 likes this.
  19. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    It’s a Smith & Alexander one piece stainless that I installed myself. No fitting at all and it works great and looks good. I think I bought it from Dawson Precision.
    Jeff

ronin11 and Badabing11 like this.
  20. pcar157

pcar157 Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Thanks Jeff. How does it fasten to the gun? In the meantime I will do a search for the S & A one piece.

Badabing11 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted