1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tend to run my stainless guns on the wet side. Why? I don't really know.

Anyway, about 300 rounds ago I decided I was going to lube my PM9 lightly. One small drop on each of the recommended lube points and just wipe it down with my finger.

Today, something happened with my PM9. It went from what I thought was a great shooter to the smoothest running gun I've ever had. I'm beginning to wonder how much nicer my other guns will run if I lessen the lube. It has that feeling like it just achieved break in status.. again.

I also shot it better than ever today.

I was so happy, I told my buddy it made me want to buy another 1911. He said, "what do you want to buy now?" I said another PM9 :roflmaro:

Comments from other reformed over lubers?

EDIT: Don't know why Ed Brown came up in the title, I clicked Dan Wesson and it won't let me change it back to DW !

·
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, you’re posed to use FP 10 according to DW. I did run that for the longest time, but it would run all over and not stay where I wanted it.

A friend of mine suggested Slip 2000 EWL. I tried it on another gun first, and you’re right it’s thicker than fp10.

I had sworn I was done trying lubes. I don’t know if this is any better or worse. I never tried less on another brand.

At one time I was using a blend of fp10 and Brownells action grease. It was incredibly slick. I actually think too much so that it effected the timing of the action. Ejection pattern used to be extremely inconsistent. Today , the first day I used less lube, my ejection pattern would have dropped them all in a 5 gal pail. There’s probably a good chance my excess lubricant of yesteryear was getting on my extractor.

·
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Razer, thank you for fixing the header in my thread to say Dan Wesson!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
39F5B615-5C76-4C39-B5BD-602DA383814E.jpeg

I put lots of FP10 on my PM9 and it runs and runs. With a little after market loving it’s an even better pistol! So much so I can’t imagine what a semi custom would do better. Can’t stop posting pics - I’m so happy with this pistol.
Jeff

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,816 Posts
Liberal lumber here. I tend to either use Wilson Combat pink/red oil or Lucas medium.

However, I admit to being a bit addicted to the smell of Frog Lube and Bore Butter....its kinda like my relationship with WD-40....

...maybe I said too much...:oops:

·
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
View attachment 202819

I put lots of FP10 on my PM9 and it runs and runs. With a little after market loving it’s an even better pistol! So much so I can’t imagine what a semi custom would do better. Can’t stop posting pics - I’m so happy with this pistol.
Jeff
From my personal experience , a custom doesn’t shoot any better in my hands. A better shooter might see a difference.

I too did a little aftermarket work. I put a C&S sear spring in it. The trigger is now at 2 3/4 lb. I also did a thick bushing, custom plug and GI guide rod.

The biggest difference between this and a custom for me; I don’t feel bad if I put a scratch on this one ;)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Back in the day when we carried 1911s in the military, we lightly lubed; otherwise, your handgun would be a dirt/sand/junk magnet real fast. Of course, those 1911s did not have the tight tolerances we see in these modern ones, and I do not sleep in holes in the ground anymore. But out of habit I still do not heavily lube my 1911s and they shoot fine.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I use a generous amount of FP10 with good results. Lately I’ve trying Weapon Shield and I like it a lot too. Lucas gun oil did well in some testing I read but have not tried it. I usually clean my DW’s after about 400 or more rounds and lube well and the things just run great.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I use Lucas gun Oil on everything. Its a great lube and it stays in place for a long time.
I generally field strip clean every 200 rounds. For my carry gun it's more like 100/125 rounds.

·
Super Moderator
857 Posts
View attachment 202819

Jeff
JNW, enjoy looking at the pic of your PM-9. Could you share where you purchased the magwell and did you do the install or someone else?

Reactions: Badabing11

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
It’s a Smith & Alexander one piece stainless that I installed myself. No fitting at all and it works great and looks good. I think I bought it from Dawson Precision.
Jeff

·
Super Moderator
857 Posts
It’s a Smith & Alexander one piece stainless that I installed myself. No fitting at all and it works great and looks good. I think I bought it from Dawson Precision.
Jeff
Thanks Jeff. How does it fasten to the gun? In the meantime I will do a search for the S & A one piece.

Reactions: Badabing11
1 - 20 of 23 Posts