Govt shutdown

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Glock2740, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    It seems to me that if the government isn’t having to pay all the salaries and other things that are funded by our tax dollars, why less money isn’t taken from our paychecks?
    Where does this money go?
    Hmmmmmm.....

2. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    We all know where the money goes, right down the terlet.

The only people who don't celebrate a Gubmint "shutdown" are those vested in the racket.

3. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    What I don’t get about the whole ‘shutdown issue’ thing is, Mitch McConnell being unwilling to use the “nuclear option” voting change like Trump wanted him to. That would change the Senate voting rules to requiring a simple majority rather than requiring a sixty vote super majority.

I mean, I get the fear that such a change *could* work against the Republicans at some point in the future. But it still seems that would yield a more representative vote of the people’s desire. Majority wins.

xerts1191, wcanterbury and Glock2740 like this.
  4. WC145

WC145 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2013
    That's because the IRS never closes. Plus, all those salaries and other things get paid retroactively after the shut down is over. That's why the uproar and crying over the end of the world by the media and the left is such bullshit. The "shut down" ends up being nothing more than paid time off for about 20% of the government.

5. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    This is big government. Government employees are compensated for time lost after the shutdown, your tax dollars are already spent.

6. Dallas Knight

Jun 22, 2015
    Exactly this. The ‘affected’ government employees make out like bandits. It’s ultimately just extra “vacation” time for them! .

Even those that must continue working without pay, will eventually get paid, plus they’re very likely to get extra “comp time” off!

7. Denver1911

Denver1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    I reckon I’m “vested in the racket” then. It’s not impacting me this time, but one time they shut down, I had to skip the backcountry camping I wanted to do because the park office was closed and I couldn’t get the permit. Yet rangers were still on patrol to ticket me if I would have been caught without it. I’m still disappointed over that. So, I think it’s pathetic that the folks we elected to do a job .. run the government .. can’t do it.

8. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Given the state of the Republic, ZRO FCKS GVEN if someone's camping plans were effected.

9. Glock2740

Aug 16, 2011
    I have a buddy who’s pissing and moaning about “not getting paid” today.
    Yet he admits that he gets every cent of it later.
    The whole system/racket is bull:poop:.

10. Glock2740

Aug 16, 2011
    Who do you think started the nuclear option? That lib puke piece of :poop: dingy Harry.
    And don’t think for a split second that the next time the left is in charge of the senate that they won’t use it every time they want something passed.

You gotta fight fire with fire and these kitty candyass republicans are too scared, lazy and against President Trump just as much as the libs.

11. Dallas Knight

Jun 22, 2015
    Absolutely true. It never stopped the Democrats from using ‘simple majority’ voting.

Mitch McConnell has some kind of warped sense of himself being “the protector” of Senate traditions. It’s a completely misguided sense of self in this political world (AND in his mind). I don’t know where he got that from or why.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Glock2740, Kip and wcanterbury like this.
  12. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    This is why these "shutdowns" always occur around Christmas. It's a stacked deck.

13. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    Shut down is BS publicity stunt . IRS doesn't close , SS admin doesn't close , Congress gets their checks , furloughed workers are on a paid vacation , actually getting more time off for the holidays .

Glock2740, tac45, WC145 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    If all the money went down the toilet, I would be a very rich man. A barrel of sodium hypochlorite and I would go into the money laundering business! :roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro:

WC145, Kip and Scaramouche like this.
  15. Usp45ct

Usp45ct Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2012

Unless Cocaine Mitch knew he did not have the majority....he will not call for vote that which he knows will fail. No majority leader would. Now you could argue he should have had the juice to push it through and that’s valid.

wcanterbury likes this.
  16. psafety

psafety ex Rent-a-Engineer

Oct 11, 2018
    Out of money .... didn't think about that 21 trillion ago?

Glock2740 likes this.
  17. Dallas Knight

Jun 22, 2015
    I would think he could’ve gotten to 51 votes or even, a 50/50 split where VP Pence would’ve stepped in to break the tie. The absolute worse case scenario is (had it not been successful), it would have shown Trump that he tried and that he had some b*lls for trying. In his own way, he’s a pretty weak leader (IMHO). As I mentioned, he’s too concerned with how “history” will portray him.

mikegalway likes this.
  18. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Goobermint shutdown? I don't need no stinking goobermint. I govern myself.....

Glock2740 and wcanterbury like this.
  19. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    Never fear NORAD will still be tracking Santa.

xerts1191, ZoidMeister, Kip and 3 others like this.
  20. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    Too many republicans went home like Flake and Corker . Plus there's a bunch of RINOs and never Trumpers . They proved it when it came time to repeal Obamacare . Big money mega donors buy both sides of the aisle . They don't respect our vote at all .

Glock2740, xerts1191, Jim PHL and 2 others like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted