Grandfathers WWII 1911

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Ballistics, Oct 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ballistics

Ballistics Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Good evening. New here, not sure if this is the correct forum. My grandfather was a Captain during WWII in Europe, he fought in the Battle of the Bulge and earned a medal there. Eventually he fought in the Korean War and was a Lt Col before retiring and being a military policeman on an Air Force base.

He almost made it to 100 before passing away in 2009 and I find myself with his 1911 several years later. Here are some photos, just trying to get as much info as possible to know how to take care of it:

3BB3C7BC-F688-4D47-88FF-61F3D8777BB4.jpeg 76EF1F11-5531-4888-A1B2-645F9C43A109.jpeg F97AB8D1-FC29-4DD0-8E59-99DD968BC59E.jpeg FCB10298-8228-404C-AFC5-BA2530B25BFA.jpeg

salelcid, 1L26, Slapshot and 18 others like this.
  2. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Looks like a sweet ol' Ithaca! Congratulations on a great family Heirloom! Keep her lubed, wipe her down often with an oily rag, don't store it in the holster, and NEVER take the grips off. Those old grips tend to shrink. Once you take them off, you may never get them back on. One more thing, take her out every Fourth of July (in your Grandfather's honor), for a little blasting!

3. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    A phenomenal family heirloom, thanks or sharing it with us.

I thank you for your grandfathers service, the men there were truly a special breed. I thank you Sir

:usa:

william adams, Chris O, tac45 and 5 others like this.
  4. Mikey421

Mikey421 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2014
    The parkerized finish allows for oil to reside on the surfaces in a minute amount for anti-corrosion properties. A light coat of oil once a month ( or more often if you have high humidity in your area ) and keep it out of the holster when stored. Coat the internal surfaces more liberally as no air movement will occur there, and some light grease on the rails to prevent corrosion. Keep the mags lubed the same way and that pistol will last another hundred years!! And yes, exercise the gun in your grandfathers honour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Welcome to the forum.... and YES it is the correct one. :)
    Thanks for sharing yours & the gun's story.

Mike A and leadfarmer like this.
  6. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Welcome to the addiction here, and thanks for your granddads service to this great country.
    Very nice inheritance of a beautiful Ithica.
    Looks all original as I can't see any armory service stamps in the photos.
    Ser# shows correct for 1945 and part of a 59,300 piece shipment between the 1944/1945 Ithica allotment.
    Also try and keep as much documented service records of your granddad you can find with it to help its provenance.

7. Ballistics

Ballistics Member

Oct 8, 2018

Thanks! The mags have surface rust, I read I should soak them in Kroil and the rust should wipe off after 24 hours or so? Should I do that with the frame / slide / barrel as well or can that affect the parkerized finish?

Mikey421 and Mike A like this.
  8. Ballistics

Ballistics Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Thank you — will do! I have some things, here is an article from ‘45 regarding his merit:

BFC84AB3-555E-4182-9DF4-53BC1A149E90.png

9. john_anch_ak

john_anch_ak Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 7, 2017
    Welcome from Alaska! And that is one mighty nice 1911 your grandfather left for you. 2011-08-05_19-18-04_728.jpg

Scaramouche, Capthobo and Mike A like this.
  10. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    What you have there is thought by some to be the Holy Grail, an Ithaca 1911. To your Grandfather & my Father it was the M1911 the finest fighting pistol a GI could possess.
    First off you Have a fine 1911 & leather holster. Never keep any gun or Mags in leather
    as the natural salts will cause rust.

A thorough wash with brake spray will clean the pistol, grip panels removed. Spray the plastic
    grips with silicone spray & if they do not fit back buy another pair. Grip panels are replaceable
    parts. Kroil is a good product to reoil the pistol with then a nice 1911 rack like @Zoid makes
    would be great.

Having anything that we can remember our family for their service to America is worth it's
    weight in Gold. Thank you for sharing this with us. I can no longer see the keyboard.
    Welcome friend.

Capthobo likes this.
  11. scottl

scottl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2012
  12. MisterC

MisterC Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Very nice indeed. Thanks for sharing.

13. BuckyP

BuckyP Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2011
    +1

14. Mikey421

Feb 22, 2014
    No, you won’t hurt the parked finish. Go ahead and give it a soak.

15. Mikey421

Feb 22, 2014
    Do not remove the grip panels unless you plan on replacing them. As was mentioned earlier, they would have shrunk a bit from age and won’t fit back over the screw collets. The Kroil might darken the panels but it’s better than damaging them beyond repair.

16. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Simply outstanding. What a great "gift" from your GrandFather. Those were a special breed of men and women, remember they ALL sacrificed during that war.

It is accurately an Ithaca M1911A1. And appears (and likely is) what is called a battlefield bringback. Perhaps your grandad shared that with you or perhaps not. Since 3 can keep a secret only if 2 are dead. Its a real beauty. Do not change a thing, as charlie41 said bring it out 4th of july for a few shots of low power FMJ only. Those slides are only spot hardened. Likely you can see a darker front third of the slide and a thumbnail around slide lock back , those are from spot hardening, not finish wear. Do not store in anything but a nice pistol rug, keep well lubricated and far away from any holster.

Thank you for showing, its truly a treasure

41 Charlie likes this.
  17. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Cool piece OP. I'm a fan of Safariland CLP for this type of application as it seems to actually treat the steel. I've been rescuing some used and abused S&W revolvers and I strip them down and soak them in plastic bags sprayed down with CLP for a few days. Then I blow them off with air and put them back together and take them to the range. It's amazing how well they respond to being shot. Your gun is not one you'll want to shoot a lot but I like the idea of a once a year shoot in honor of your Grandfather. Awesome idea @41 Charlie

41 Charlie likes this.
  18. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    True indeed however if you clean your 1911 with brake spray
    AKA gun scrubber, that will shrink the plastic grips. Just reoiling
    your 1911 with out cleaning the salts & acids will not preserve
    the metal as well.
    Grips a plastic part do not add or remove from the value of your
    Ithaca 1911A1. Not as much as rust & pitting will.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted