Great Deal on Ed Brown Special Forces 1911

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by Sparx, May 23, 2019.

1. Sparx

Sparx Active Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Brownells has Ed Brown Special Forces on sale for $1999.00 with an additional 10% with NGK code.

So the delivered price is: $1810.00 shipped to an FFL!

They offer black or stainless finish in this Special Forces 1911.

sparx

2. uncommonsense

uncommonsense Active Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Furthermore, there's a site called Activejunky.com that if you click through to Brownells before you check out it gives you 4% cash back. I sometimes forget to do it, but it works. I bought a bunch of stuff even with the Brownells promo code.

I have no affiliation, but if you sign up using a referral link from me I can get $10. I won't post the link here because I imagine this post is already coming across a little spammy. But if someone wants it I'll post it. It works at Academy too.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Glock2740 likes this.

3. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Has anyone bought one of these before? Are they built to the same standards as one of their custom guns?

tac45 and gps man like this.
  4. Sparx

Sparx Active Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Not sure I completely understand the question, it is an Ed Brown Special Forces, and yes I have purchased one in the past.

5. pcar157

pcar157 Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2019
    I looked at the Brownell's site and then sent them a few questions such as 1) are these the LB's the same specs as shown on the LB site; 2) are they available in 9mm; 3) do they have the recessed slide pin opening; the picture on the site doesn't appear that way but the Brown spec says the recess is standard. Waiting to hear back; 4) are the frames and slides steel? Sparx, any issues with the LB black coating that you know of?

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  6. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Not all EB Special Forces are the same. Like any semi-custom builder, Ed Brown will build a Special Forces (or Kobra Carry, etc) with the options specified by the customer. Ostensibly, anything that comes out of their custom build line has the same accuracy and reliability.

Sometimes gun manufacturers will do special runs for big sellers like Brownells. The question is, does EB put the same level of attention to the guns it mass produces for Brownells as it does a custom order?

It wouldn't suprise me if EB cuts a few corners when building these guns for mass consumption through Brownells. That said, I don't expect that they're total garbage either.

7. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    I'm addmitedly pretty ignorant when it comes to modern Ed Brown guns and the company in general.

This makes me wonder about how the Ed Brown manucafturing process is set up. Is it like an assembly line where they just produce a relativly constant amount of XYZ model, or is each gun built to an order/ built to an individual spec?

It also makes me wonder about how many firearms Brownells has in stock at any given time.

Just thinking out loud but if anybody can answer these questions, I'm interested to know the answer.

FWIW, if I were Mr. Brownells, I would be pretty pissed to find out that some manufacturer decided to cut corners on my order just to get it out the door.

Glock2740 and gun_fan111 like this.
  8. Sparx

Sparx Active Member

Jun 29, 2017
    I had a Special Forces that was 4 years older than the one I got from Brownells last year and they were about the same, one was stainless the other Gen 4 finish. The trigger on the older gun was smoother, but that was a simple fix with minor fire control part touch up. The newer gun shot more accurately, for me.
    I saw no difference in fit and finish, both were stainless steel (Brown says all 1911's are stainless), neither had a slide stop recessed opening in the frame.
    sparx

9. pcar157

Jan 22, 2019
    Sparx, where did you find that discount code? Tried ordering with that code and Brownells says it is Invalid.

10. Sparx

Sparx Active Member

Jun 29, 2017
    They emailed to me, maybe it expired?
    NGK

Sparx

11. uncommonsense

Apr 14, 2018
    They expire relatively quickly. There are always more. I've stacked their code with that Activejunky thing for a B&T GHM9, and a stainless Tisas Hi-Power.

The more the spend, the more you save. :D

12. Sparx

Sparx Active Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Ok, that code expired on 5/23/19
    If there is another discount code I will post it here.
    Sparx

13. pcar157

Jan 22, 2019
    Thanks Sparx. Let us know.

14. uncommonsense

Apr 14, 2018
    If can tolerate the emails, sign up for their mailing list. They have a good 10% code pretty often.

Another "hack" if you want to get a deal but prefer to pay later, is to also order something that's out of stock and has to be backordered (example, Brownells brand 9mm 1911 mags right now). You can pick an option to have the whole order shipped when all items are available rather than as each item is available. It's kind of a gamble as you don't know when it'll be fulfilled, but it's an option to lock in a temporary promo while buying some time like a layaway.

They don't charge you until it ships, and if it takes a long time to fulfill, they do a fantastic job contacting you to authorize the charge before fulfilling.

Also, sometimes the promo codes don't work on the first page of the checkout, but if you re-enter it later in the later page it will work. The codes aren't supposed to work on some items, like Sig products, but the website will accept it in the later field. Example, Sig P365. ;)

pcar157 likes this.
  15. Sparx

Sparx Active Member

Jun 29, 2017
    I will do that. I did pickup a SS EB special forces on this deal yesterday, since a shooting buddy of mine talked me out of the EB SSI got some months back from Brownells. I have been searching for another Nighthawk, but found nothing I really liked and/or wanted to pony up for. For $1810.00 shipped, I could not hold back. Rather pay $200.00 or so more for a new gun than a used piece.

If my Special Forces comes in with substandard or non standard parts (as suggested in a post above ) o_O I will let you know as well. I am sure the trigger will not be exactly as I want it, but that is a simple issue for me to correct.

sparx

16. pcar157

Jan 22, 2019
    signed up for their mailing list and just got notice of a 10% off promotion: code is VDA
    Thanks guys! 1911 Addicts rocks!

17. uncommonsense

Apr 14, 2018
    Not to mention being able to pay with a credit card, if you're into that sort of thing. Many credit cards offer rewards, such as a one or two percent cash back.

I was curious about whether warranty was affected by buying used, and was impressed when I saw that Ed Brown has a lifetime warranty on their guns and it doesn't matter if you bought new or used. It's also written, unlike most gun companies. Impressive. I suppose some of that cost is built into the price.

Sorry, but VDA is $10 not 10%.

Also, keep in mind the Activejunky cash back thing is 4%. That's $72.40 on $1,810.

pcar157 likes this.
  18. pcar157

Jan 22, 2019
    I get it Sparx. From my perspective and it is only MY perspective, used firearms in today's world and market are going for 70% of value.

In the case of the Brownell's SF, with the discount that is like a 22% savings.

19. pcar157

Jan 22, 2019
    Oops, thanks for the heads up!! I reacted too quickly!!!

uncommonsense likes this.
  20. Sparx

Sparx Active Member

Jun 29, 2017
    I have been in and out of numerous custom 1911's in the past few years. In a great majority of these sales, I took losses, some were steep. Of course if I would stop buying and selling these losses would end too.

When a deal like this Ed Brown comes up, it is a no brainer for me at least, to buy new. I picked up a 1911 on gunbroker last year that the seller swore up and down was not altered. Turns out after having it for a while it went full auto on me. I lucked out and the manufacturer took the gun in and corrected the issue and it was fine after this.

When the margins are so close I rather not take a chance.
    sparx

gps man and pcar157 like this.
  21. pcar157

Jan 22, 2019
    If that 10% deal comes about I am in. Too good a buy to pass up

It will be my luck that the 10% will come back and the sale will be over!!!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted