1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I do not consent.
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm typing from behind the Pine Curtain. Today the Pine Firewall is letting us connect to the rest of the world for a bit. I am new to firearms in general, and not at all clear on why it took me so long. I spent my childhood around cars and hotrods, my youth and many later years working on and riding motorcycles, and have always loved things mechanical and machined. I just never explored guns. My father didn't hunt, and didn't shoot. He built hotrods. And motorcycles. So that's what I did, albeit not nearly as well as Dad.

A little over a year ago a friend began trying to interest me in self-defense and firearms training. My friend had Glocks, and a Ruger, and a Walther PPQ. So July 5, 2017 - right after Independence Day - I celebrated the 2nd Amendment by going to a gun store and buying a Springfield Range Officer Compact chambered in 9mm.

Why a 1911? I liked the way it looked, and the way it felt in my hand. I liked the sort of mystique that surrounds them, the history they embody, and the connection to something tried and true. But I did not really know anything about them except what I had read on the interwebs.

I read that they were persnickety and required "tuning"; that they were challenging and many people did not know how to work on them; that they were extremely popular among competition shooters - I even watched a couple of national 1911 competitions on TV.

But I still didn't really know anything about them. Today I also own a Springfield Range Officer Operator chambered in 9mm, a Springfield EMP in 9mm, a Glock 19 and an FMK 9mm semi-auto as well as .22LR Ruger LCR and GSG 1911 plinkers.

I can offer little or no advice on guns, for I am no expert. I am here to learn. I can help with such things as where to shoot in the area, what experiences I've had with various sellers, services, ranges, instructors, things like that. I can share what I learn as I go, as long as you acknowledge the source is someone who may not know what he's talking about ;-)

Happy Holidays to you all.

·
I do not consent.
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome sir. My hope is that after a while on this forum you will take the 9mm training wheels
off your pistols and grow into the adult 1911 caliber of 45 ACP for at least a few of your 1911s.;)
In time. At this point it is more an economics-based choice than any particular caliber preference. For me the 9mm is significantly less expensive than .40S&W or .45ACP. i do understand that .45 is the traditional service caliber. But in the early days of my firearms experience I am more comfortable spending less and shooting more.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
What me worry ?
13,339 Posts
Glad you found the 1911 platform . The members here are very knowledgeable and willing too help with any questions you may have. I urge you to learn your way around the masterpiece we all love . Be safe .
Welcome from the depths.

Underwater Organism Vertebrate Fluid Fish

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Welcome TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot!
We have a great bunch of folks 'round here! Lots of knowledge, comradierer and great story telling here.
There has been many forums out there, but none as good as this one. To me it the people here that make the difference.

Have a good night.

Signing off from Spring Hill, TN.
Eric

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Welcome sir. My hope is that after a while on this forum you will take the 9mm training wheels
off your pistols and grow into the adult 1911 caliber of 45 ACP for at least a few of your 1911s.;)
In time. At this point it is more an economics-based choice than any particular caliber preference. For me the 9mm is significantly less expensive than .40S&W or .45ACP. i do understand that .45 is the traditional service caliber. But in the early days of my firearms experience I am more comfortable spending less and shooting more.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
What ever you do, never buy or even try a 1911 chambered in .38 Super. That would be the proverbial "point of no return" that mere mortals need never cross.

Never mind that the .38 Super is essentially a 9mm Magnum on steroids . .

Never mind that many guns can be converted to .38 Super through the swapping out of the barrel and magazines . . .

The .38 Super has corruptible powers strong enough to make a liberal a Regan devotee . . . .

You have been advised.

Oh yeah,
Yellow Text Photograph Purple Colorfulness

·
I do not consent.
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Welcome from Big D. I hear you're getting some cold weather where you are.
Indeed, we are. Looks like it's pretty darned cold all across the northern parts of this fine state.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts