Greyhound the movie. Good flick!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 7.62Kolectr, Jul 11, 2020.

1. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    On Apple TV now.

In retrospect lots of people only think about the War in Europe and the War in the Pacific. The Battle of the Atlantic was equally important as the lifeblood of supplies for the European theater had to get there first. Over 3500 ships and 750,000 men went to the bottom in the effort. Keeping that in mind made this movie even better because ‘it happened’. Was actually a pretty good movie.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  2. Texduramax

Texduramax Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    I'm looking forward to this one. I thoroughly enjoy Tom Hanks work.

isialk and 7.62Kolectr like this.

3. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    I just got done watching it. Good flick, but not realistic.

Uncle Bob likes this.
  4. kevinlittell

kevinlittell Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2020
    As a Reagan era destroyer man who hasn't seen the movie yet, what was your biggest gripe?

I wanna see this movie but right now it'll cost me about 75 bucks in fees and hardware...

Say what you want about Mr Hank's politics, he makes some GREAT F_ing movies.

isialk and HooDoo Man like this.
  5. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    If you have an iPhone and a smart tv download the AppleTv app and mirror the movie to your tv. The movie is free but you have to sign up for AppleTv which is $4.99 a month. You can cancel it later if you wish.

I thought the movie was kinda CGIish but it shows some aspects one doesn’t think about when watching WWII documentaries. Things like bobbing seas and difficulty hitting a sub on the surface with ones guns was something that was a ‘new’ thought to me. For some reason I imagined calm seas and perfect shots. But I guess the North Atlantic isn’t always like that. There were some other good things and some things even I as a novice noticed. But again what made it ‘good’ for me was as I said ‘it happened’. It was a daily affair for many seaman for years keeping the flow going. And it doesn’t really get much coverage because it’s not Normandy or Iwo, it’s just water.....

FWoo45 and kevinlittell like this.
  6. kevinlittell

kevinlittell Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2020
    Thanks... Son just came up with a way to get it on the 70 inch for less then the cost of a 12 pack. He's buying the software, I'm buying the beer! next weekend it is!

PS> Ships gun targeting has come a long way since those days...The North Atlantic is always a pitchy, unsettled area of OPS. Now a days we have gyro's and Alot of electrical inputs into our gun directors telling us ships roll, climb (up THIS wave or Down the face of it) but in those days it was "point and shoot".

isialk, FWoo45, Scaramouche and 2 others like this.
  7. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    yeah the lack of technology brought to life in a movie based on history was interesting. The other stuff that I won’t spoil being period correct also showed how basic, different and difficult things were back then.

kevinlittell and isialk like this.
  8. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    It felt too compressed. Too much was happening in too short a period of time. What I saw (not giving anything away) happen was unrealistic. It was worth watching, though.

Better destroyer movies are The Enemy Below and The Bedford Incident. Oh, and The Caine Mutiny.

kevinlittell and 7.62Kolectr like this.
  9. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    Haven’t gotten to see the movie yet, but the scene in the trailer of sub surfaced along side the destroyer is familiar. I read a book about the U-333 that was operating on the surface inside a convoy at night that sounds close. The captain lost track of a Corvette and was rammed. Being raked by fire his only chance was to snuggle along side the corvette so the guns couldn’t be brought to bear. He submerged under the ship which nearly tore off the periscope, and dove deep. After hours of depth charging the U-333 escaped and made it back to La Pallice, France.
    AC8C5538-ED2B-4389-A4C4-8BC545F8CE85-71024-000009BF47C61471.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 Charlie and 7.62Kolectr like this.
  10. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Well-Known Member

May 5, 2020
    Watched it today. I thought it was fantastic. I’m a huge naval buff through a. “Regular viewers” might not find it quite as engaging.

7.62Kolectr likes this.
  11. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Looks like a must see!

Dreadnought likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted