1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i noticed alot of the 1911's on here have the grip modified where the back-bottom of the grip is ground off to make it round. is there a particular name for that feature?
so mine doesn't have that. i would like it.
is that something people send off to have done or buy another frame?
i don't really want to try to sell this one and buy another one.

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
4,992 Posts
Round butt

Reactions: lsbbigdog

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Are you talking about photos of work you’ve seen Chuck Rogers aka Pistolwretch post? Sounds like a bobtail that he does from what you describe and it’s certainly not something I would not try on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys.
Bobtail is what i am eluding to.
simonp: no. i don't know who that is. it's just something i have seen for many years and didn't know anything about like if its done aftermarket or comes that way.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
thanks guys.
Bobtail is what i am eluding to.
simonp: no. i don't know who that is. it's just something i have seen for many years and didn't know anything about like if its done aftermarket or comes that way.
Some are born that way, some are ground that way.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
In most cases, I'd prefer the ones born that way. Generally, it's a cost factor decision.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm i was thinking it helps with gripping it. but it seems its really for CCW and not printing?
does the Bobtail make it more comfortable for you guys? i guess it would really help out if it was a shorter grip.

·
You serious, Clark?
2,990 Posts
so i noticed alot of the 1911's on here have the grip modified where the back-bottom of the grip is ground off to make it round. is there a particular name for that feature?
so mine doesn't have that. i would like it.
is that something people send off to have done or buy another frame?
i don't really want to try to sell this one and buy another one.
Something to think about. What kind of mags do you use? If you use anything other than the flat low profile base pads, they will stick out a good deal past and that kind of cancels out the bobtail. I'm not sure any mag that holds 8 rounds can be flush/low profile. So, it kind of limits you to 7 rnd mags. That is if you want it to be flush.

For me, the bobtail looks cool but is not worth it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah thats pretty much what i have just accepted. im a function guy usually anyways. except when it comes to glocks.

·
You serious, Clark?
2,990 Posts
yeah thats pretty much what i have just accepted. im a function guy usually anyways. except when it comes to glocks.
I didn't realize that until after I got my first bobtailed gun. In prefer the extra round. Though, some would say the WC 47 (7rnd mags) are the best anyways. So, for them it's a reliability thing. WC makes a low profile steel basepad 7 rnd mag.

·
14,799 Posts
Something to think about. What kind of mags do you use? If you use anything other than the flat low profile base pads, they will stick out a good deal past and that kind of cancels out the bobtail. I'm not sure any mag that holds 8 rounds can be flush/low profile. So, it kind of limits you to 7 rnd mags. That is if you want it to be flush.

For me, the bobtail looks cool but is not worth it.
I've got several standard profile 8-round magazines. Checkmate makes them. Yes, .45 ACP.

Z

Reactions: FWoo45

·
Registered
77 Posts
I can't comment on the bobtail or it's merit for minimizing printing as I do not own one. I will say though that for comfort the rounded heels I own are really comfortable in hand. YMMV

·
14,799 Posts
I think they breed in the back of the safe . . . . . .

upload_2018-10-9_20-43-3.png

upload_2018-10-9_20-44-4.png

Twins DW Classic C-BOB - 004.JPG

Twins DW Guardian-004.JPG

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
picked mine up alot last night. yeah my hands wouldn't really benefit from the bobtail. i'm not sure if i will ever carry it or not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts