1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ex Rent-a-Engineer
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started making a few sets of 1911 grips for my use, on occasion I’ve had to pitch a panel due to slight misalignment of mounting holes; currently, I use a known good grip as pattern clamped to my new panel and transfer punch the centers and drill using a countersink bit. As you know with mounting the slightest error is monumental.
I’m to the point of buying a drilling jig or having one made, If I may ask - what do you use to minimize -or- eliminate this problem?

·
ex Rent-a-Engineer
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx, Duke .. I've made aluminum shapes to match outside shapes/bobtail/cutouts - appears I'd benefit to focus on nailing the 15/64ths location in those eliminating the transfer punch step getting center then drilling.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I ground my own step bit from solid carbide, and in the process got the DIA just slightly undersize. This works out well, because I can then do final fit to the gun with a diamond dremel bit (my grips are solid carbon fiber with metal). I also made a centering plug on the drill press table so when I drill the backs first, then fit them to the gun, I can drill the faces after polishing where the backside hole "snaps" in place over the plug for a perfectly aligned top hole. Fitting the holes on the back first eliminates the chance of face holes being off, as I can correct the back holes if needed (rarely, but my last run of 22 grip sets yielded a few that needed correction). The 1/8" DIA bit allows me to shave the hole as well as the step shoulder. I do use a steel template for initial drilling, but found that its faster to mark the backs with my laser, so I just center my carbide bradpoint right on the laser mark and havent't used my steel centering template, but it only takes a few thousands to be off.

Reactions: psafety
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.