1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for a while now I've been thinking about getting into the 1911 grip making business. I'm pretty good with my hands and ain't half bad at wood working. Trouble is, I don't know what I don't know. What kind of advice is out there for someone like me who's looking at trying their hand at grip manufacturing? Any help would be highly appreciated.

· SKGRIPS.COM
1,822 Posts
Well, I asked this same question 22 years ago…
So in 1997 I called one of the most prolific grip makers in the business, and here’s what he told me.
“Grip making is very easy, just select your material, and cut away anything that doesn’t look like a grip” he chuckled and asked if I wanted to get on his waiting list.
I didn’t know whether to be angry or honored, but I think there was a lesson in there somewhere?
All that aside, if I can assist you, I’d be happy to answer some of your questions.

· Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So in 1997 I called one of the most prolific grip makers in the business, and here’s what he told me.
“Grip making is very easy, just select your material, and cut away anything that doesn’t look like a grip” he chuckled and asked if I wanted to get on his waiting list.
I didn’t know whether to be angry or honored, but I think there was a lesson in there somewhere?
All that aside, if I can assist you, I’d be happy to answer some of your questions.
Thank you!
I'll reach out to you soon..☺☺

· Registered
199 Posts
Nobody makes a nicely-contoured palm swell. If you ever held a HiPower with Craig Spegel grips on it, you would immediately get what I am talking about. I do not know if he does this on his 1911 grips, but man it would be great to get a set of nice 1911 grips with that gentle swell in the palm. I don't know of another maker who does it.

· Premium Member
967 Posts
Your answer would have been his, had he been a gentleman too.

Generous response from a master of the craft.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts