Grip opinion

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by shemeneto, Feb 10, 2019.

1. shemeneto

shemeneto Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2016
    I bought a S&W 627 Performance Center 357 and after handling it for a few days just cant cotton to the grips. They're pretty cheesey anyway, and uncomfortable to boot, and they're laminated wood which won't fly with me.
    Been looking for grips this morning and the major players seem to be Altamont, Ahrends, and maybe Houge.
    I have to say, I'm leaning towards Ahrends. When I grip a revolver I grip it very high and the Ahrends look to be just a bit thinner behind the trigger guard. They're also solid wood whereas the Altamont grips are laminated aren't they? I'm not sure because I have not held any in my hands but they look laminated. Looks like they make solids too but I just seem to favor the looks of the Ahrends which I've never had in my hands either. I dont like the little thumb shelf Altamont seems to favor on their grips. Big plus for Altamont is they have the S&w medallions which is very nice. Kim will use my wood, of which I have quite a selection so that's nice. I love Cocobolo which he doesnt supply any longer but I have my own.
    Houge grips look nice as well even though I dont necessarily like how the bottom is made so long but I understand why they're like that. Nice woods too, not laminated either but they sell them on Amazon and I refuse to support Amazon and Jeff B.
    Are there other grip makers out there that aren't $300+ and a 1 year wait time? Who do you guys like?

2. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    I have a “thing” for Ahrends Retro Target stocks. Top Gun Supply has a lot of Ahrends products in-stock, priced typically $70-$90 or so.

41 Charlie likes this.

3. shemeneto

Nov 22, 2016
    Cool. Thanks. Going there now.

WhoIsJohnGalt? likes this.
  4. shemeneto

Nov 22, 2016
    Right now the only have one pair of sq to red N frame grips, retro combats. I'm not partial to the finger grooves either. I like to get as high as possible and the grooves rarely work out for that.
    I'll keep an eye on Top Gun though.

5. kc1911

kc1911 Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Another VERY strong vote for the Ahrends. Personally I like the Retro Combats and put them on all my K, L, and N frame guns. In addition to buying directly from Kim, you can search for the seller Gripseller on ebay. She generally has a decent selection in stock. I've dealt with them both before and have been very pleased.

6. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
  7. Xringchaser

Xringchaser Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2019
    Look up Culina grips. Very nice and you can get the logos as well. I have several sets of various wood and configuration.

Geoff, WhoIsJohnGalt? and Spokes like this.
  8. rmac

rmac Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 26, 2016
    Take a look at Herrett's Stocks. You send an outline drawing of your hand (follow their instructions) and they are made to measure for you.
    Pictures are of Jordan Troopers checkered in skipline style.
    Notice the shape of the back; they diminish the shape of the S and W knuckle by rounding the rear and moving the recoil down into your palm. Also a slight palm swell to fit your hand. View attachment 219083 20190210_104718.jpg
    Revolver is a Model 624 that I run rather heavy loads through.

FWoo45, 1911 dawg, 41 Charlie and 3 others like this.
  9. shemeneto

Nov 22, 2016
    Wow!! Very nice grips. Never heard of Culina grips. Thank you so much.

Geoff and WhoIsJohnGalt? like this.
  10. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    I’m a BIG fan of Kim Ahrend grips, I usually purchase from Brownells. Thanks to John’s post above, it’s nice to see Top Gun Supply is another option for Ahrend grips!

11. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    Mine arrived yesterday- woo-hoo! :)

D1D2D47C-B083-41B0-8A6C-7320B5D8B3DE.jpeg BD3A1BCF-65CD-45AF-9B56-32F606644C39.jpeg

FWoo45 likes this.
  12. younggun22

younggun22 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2012
    If I had my choice I would go with Spegel Extended boot grips but Ahrends will work in a pinch.

13. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    I like the Nills

1A682B99-7F8E-4F6E-ACE6-61D378219BF3.jpeg

FWoo45, BigJimP and WhoIsJohnGalt? like this.
  14. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I like the Hogue wood grips ( checkered, with finger grooves & the palm swell ).... you can buy them uncheckered & without finger grooves ...from Hogue website / and occasionally I see them locally at gunshows, etc...

But it depends on what fits your hands the best... / on my pair of 627's ( 5" upper right & 2 5/8" at lower right ).. I have Hogue on the 5" & a S&W grip on the other..../ there is a pair of Hogues on the 27-2 4" Nickel at lower left also...

20170816_093445.jpg

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted