Grip panels loosen?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by CampWolf, May 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. CampWolf

CampWolf Member

Jan 19, 2019
    I discovered a few days ago my edc RIA grip panels on one side were loose. I’ve never heard of that and while I’m relatively new to owning a 1911, it really surprised me. It was nothing to tighten the screws back up but has anyone here experiences that before? Even my local gun store had t heard of that.
    They’re all tight now but it was surprising. Any thoughts?

2. remanaz

remanaz Active Member

Apr 14, 2019
    It is very common on 1911s. Especially ones that have g10 grips. O-rings will help to prevent that from happening again.

DWdude, richiecotite and Howe45acp like this.

3. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Challis bushings and o-rings fix the problem. Common issue on 1911s for sure.

azpoolguy and Howe45acp like this.
  4. FarmD0G

FarmD0G Member

Mar 7, 2019
    They never heard of that happening? You need to start going to a different gun store...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

5. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    Either Challis or #60 O rings

Usp45ct likes this.
  6. CampWolf

CampWolf Member

Jan 19, 2019
    Thank you

7. CampWolf

CampWolf Member

Jan 19, 2019

They are a very small store. You’re probably right as I had to order my 1911 and two of the employees had never held one before.

duketbrd88 likes this.
  8. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    I had that problem until I stopped lubing the threads. Now, no problem.

joerockhead likes this.
  9. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Just google it , you will see how common it is. O rings like everyone else said.

10. CampWolf

CampWolf Member

Jan 19, 2019
    I see that now. Feel like a complete idiot ...

11. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I got cheap o rings from the farm supply store and it hasn't happened in years. Simple

12. Teufelhunde

Teufelhunde Active Member

Jan 9, 2019
    Or both......

Raylan Givens likes this.
  13. CampWolf

CampWolf Member

Jan 19, 2019
    Thank you everyone. This was helpful and I should have just googled it. I apologize for asking silly questions! I’m still learning.

14. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    ive shooting nearly 50 years and I learn something new grow this group almost daily.

isialk and Usp45ct like this.
  15. Usp45ct

Usp45ct Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Same...I just bought them at ACE. I guess if I would have thought about it, I would have come to this eventually. Listing them as #60 was a huge help.

16. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Wolf.... as they say "the only stupid (silly) question is the one that isn't asked"
    Don't always trust everything you find on google. If your questions are 1911 related, don't hesitate to use the search feature on this forum. This place contains a wealth of knowledge and people who are willing to share it. If you don't find what you're looking for...... be sure to ask.

41 Charlie and isialk like this.
  17. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    Message me your mailing address and I'll send you a few sets of orings. I bought like a hundred a while back.

41 Charlie, isialk and TheCollector like this.
  18. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    Don’t feel bad for asking a question. I’ll bet I’m way dumber about these guns (and plenty of other stuff) than you are pal. In my experience here, these folks will always try to help out. It’s a great place! Heck not only did you get a good answer, @Cop_Out will literally send you THE answer lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Bradd_D

Bradd_D Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2019
    I like the Challis o rings because they are a little smaller allowing the grip screws to seat a bit further into the grip. I typically use Challis bushings and o rings (bushing and grip screw), but I have a couple of guns where I just used Challis grip screw o rings with the stock bushings.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted