Grip Safety/Beavertail cut sizes?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by SolidCustom, Dec 11, 2018.

1. SolidCustom

SolidCustom New Member

Dec 4, 2018
    When looking at the options available for Caspian frames, I see that there are a few options for the beavertail. Standard GI, Caspian/Wilson style, and .250 Radius. What are the differences? I plan on purchasing a Jem frame, and I noticed on their site they say they can get a better safety match to frame with their safety. I imagine that the difference in choices between these has something to do with frame fit? Enlighten me please! Thanks!

2. EvolutionArmory

EvolutionArmory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Jem frames are cut for the .250 radius grip safeties. One thing about Jem frames is that the back strap is VERY high cut from them and they only offer it that one way. It really limits what grip safeties will be able to be used and which ones will fit well because you might have to whittle another brand’s safety down to almost nothing to make it blend and you might end up ruining the safety trying. If you use a Jem frame you really are better off using their specific grip safety.

3. EvolutionArmory

Sep 9, 2011
    A Colt backstrap isn’t nearly as high cut so you can use any grip safety you want.
    6E50FE0F-15F7-474D-90AE-7301B6E7616D.jpeg

The Jem frame has a much higher backstrap as shown here.
    D5BADF11-91EB-44B7-B025-B577157D8D8A.jpeg

4. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    This is great information I wasn't aware that the Jem Frame had this issue. @EvolutionArmory are there any other grip safeties that will mount up without much issue or not? I know you said it limits you, but could you specify if there are any others that will work? Just for info..purposes

SolidCustom likes this.
  5. EvolutionArmory

Sep 9, 2011
    It limits you to basically theirs. :)

You could try an EGW or Ed Brown maybe but it would probably look bad.

SolidCustom and Steve Owens like this.
  6. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Nothing wrong with theirs I can see seems to blend nice and offer a very high grip, which I personally prefer myself. But, options or the lack thereof is not always a good thing.. Thanks for the great Info..

SolidCustom likes this.
  7. SolidCustom

SolidCustom New Member

Dec 4, 2018
    Could you perhaps get a side by side photo of the high backstrap on a Jem compared to a normal profile? I am interested to see the difference. I do like getting a higher grip, but I am trying to keep my build a certain style..

8. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Most try to blend the not so high back strap up higher on conventional frames as the lower grip doesn't work well for many. A standard colt is probably the lower profile grip that I see and there for the backs of the beavertails tend to turn down into the top of the web between your thumb and fore finger. If you look at the two pics provided already notice where the grip safety bottom meets the tangs on the colt it comes down with considerably more material there. And the jem is more flat or higher. This is the area that changes.. But, again most blend the colts higher with new BTGS added unless they are trying to keep it to the more retro look and feel. Sorry for the crude markings I'm not an artist in any sense lol. colt back strap.jpeg View attachment 188431

SolidCustom likes this.
  9. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Not to get off the subject but while discussing grip Safeties and Back Straps maybe someone knows something about this.

I ran across this picture somewhere and kept it for the future......What Hammer is this and is the Grip Safety something that has been reworked.

[​IMG]

The Safety appears similar to the back stap on my CZ Rami.

Karsten

SolidCustom likes this.
  10. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    The safety just appears to be a reworked EGW would be my guess.. And the hammer a conventional ringed commander hammer similar if not identical to the ones found on John Harrison's online shop..

SolidCustom likes this.
  11. SolidCustom

SolidCustom New Member

Dec 4, 2018
    Thank you for the info, I think I see what you mean.

12. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    The reworked Beaver Tail is close to that of my CZ 2075 Rami pictured below.....

[​IMG]

Karsten

SolidCustom likes this.
  13. EvolutionArmory

Sep 9, 2011
    Greg had some grip safeties made that didn’t have the scoop for the hammer in it. It allows him to sculpt it in that retro manner. He may or may not sell you one if you contact him. Or maybe he just keeps them for his customers. Ask him. He’s a good dude.

The hammer appears to be an early commander hammer that has had the top modified, probably for easier cocking.

SolidCustom and Steve Owens like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted