Grip Safety Tangs

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by buyobuyo, Jan 28, 2012.

1. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    I'm putting together a shopping list of parts that I want to replace on my RIA. One of the parts I am looking at replacing is the grip safety. From looking at parts on Brownell's, it looks like there are at least two different grip safety tang radii. How do I know which one I should be looking for? Thanks.

If this would be better in the Beginner's Corner, feel free to move it mods.

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    are you replacing the factory beavertail, or adding one to a GI model?
    IIRC, the grip safety is a .250" radius.

you can always call the Tech's at Brownells and they can probably tell you.

3. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    I would be replacing the factory beavertail.

4. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Then you'll want the 0.250 radius BTGS. An Ed Brown would do you just fine.

5. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    No offense to Coung^^^ but I wouldn't use an ed brown grip safety period. Too often the hole for the thumb safety pin bass been to far out of alignment for my liking. I would personally stick with the S&A .250" radius.

6. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    Interesting Joe. But then my favorite BTGS in 250 is EGW's. That thing is just awesome.

I had a EB ambi and I was disappointed.

7. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    Yes, I would agree that the EGW is very nice. A bit spendy, especially for a RIA in my opinion, but nice none the less! George generally makes great parts.

The only, and I mean ONLY (unless it is an emergency or something) thing I use that is EB is the bobtail, because he is the only one making it! HA! And even that part you have to be very careful with if you are going to install one because his jig does not line up right with every frame. Best to drill the hole small and adjust from my experience.

8. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I want to learn fitting and how everything works better, so I'm basically looking at replacing almost every part.

The parts that I'm looking at getting are:

• Caspian Trigger
    • Caspian Ambi Safety
    • Harrison Ignition Set
    • Wolff Sear & 23lb Main Spring
    • S&A Arched Magwell Main Spring Housing
    • EB Hammer Strut
    • Brownell Hammer Strut Pin

Also possibly the Wolff Reduced Power Mag Release kit.

9. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    Personally I would go with the following:

Greider trigger cause the Caspian Trik Trigger can be too long for many peoples fingers
    C&S ambi or the Caspian, either one are fine...
    C&S match hammer, sear, disco and TM strut
    Wolff springs
    S&A MSH
    S&A Grip Safety
    and you probably won't need the hammer strut pin if you take the one out of your existing hammer.

And that is my two cents on parts...for what it's worth. ;-)

10. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    If you want a flat trigger, then I would recommend the Wilson version. They have pretravel tabs so that should help. Better specs. I have both and will continue to buy the Wilson.

Just buy the EB rebuild pin set. This will have all of your pins. Good to have spares.

11. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Thanks again for the suggestions. Right now I've just been looking on Brownell's for parts to try to save a buck by not paying shipping on a bunch of small orders. As far as flat/curved goes, I have no real opinion one way or the other. I've never shot a flat trigger, and the curved trigger doesn't bother me. The main reason, I was going to go with the Caspian trigger is because I like the way it looks. The other one I was considering which costs a good bit more is the Infinity with the interchangeable trigger shoes.

Do either of you happen to know how long the Caspian trigger is from the back of the bow to the flat face of the trigger? I haven't been able to find a measurement yet in my searching.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted