grip safety

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by cdunn, Dec 27, 2011.

1. cdunn

cdunn Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Nov 20, 2011
    I disassembled and cleaned my 1911 yesterday, when I was done I noticed my grip safety wasn't working, the trigger would drop the trigger without pressing the gripsafety.I removed the grips to see what was happening and it looks like part of the safety is shiny where the trigger hits it and goes over to press the disconnector.does this sound right.well not right but possible?I'm not sure how long its been doing this because I don't usually pull the trigger without pressing down the safety.

2. John Ryder

John Ryder Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Do you know for sure that it was working properly at some point in time? Sounds like it was filed down too much by whoever fit the part.

3. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    did it work before you stripped it?

4. cdunn

Nov 20, 2011
    I've had it for a couple years,I'm sure it worked at one time,I can't say the last time I checked it.I thought I might have done something to it,so I checked it while holding out on the safety.

5. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    the grip safety is there to engage the back of the trigger bow, not the disconnector.

Here's a picture of the grip safety disengaged and the trigger pulled back.
    [​IMG]

6. cdunn

Nov 20, 2011
    you know. I replaced my stock MSH with a MSH/ magwell, could there be a difference it the thickness where the bottom of the grip safety hits the MSH enough to not let it all the way out?I just thought of that.

7. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Yes, it could.

I was going to ask if the safety actually moved in/out and had spring tension.

8. cdunn

Nov 20, 2011
    yes it moves in and out with tension, but I'm going to check this afternoon how far it moves out.I will put the old one back on and see if it works ok or not.

9. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    You need to mill 20 thousandths off the top of the mainspring housing where the bottom of the grip safety contacts it. That should cure your problem. Basically, your grip safety is not being allowed to travel far enough to actually disengage. You can file the mainspring housing instead of milling as well. If you would like a picture of what to do, just let me know. I could maybe even shoot a video and post it on our facebook page.

10. cdunn

Nov 20, 2011
    thanks, that is what I was thinking after I calmed down a little.This place is great, thanks for all the info,I'll update later.

11. cdunn

Nov 20, 2011
    after looking close,I found that the stock trigger has a little burr on it right where it should be hitting the safety.so I put in an extra new trigger that I had and removed a little on the MSH /magwell where the contact is made to allow a little more travel and now it works.

12. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Glad you got it sorted out!

13. cdunn

Nov 20, 2011
    for an update,I spoke with Larry @ NHC he sent me a call tag, they have had it a week, they called me yesterday and its on the way back with all new internals.
    on a different item I was going to order a spring kit from them online but they don't show 9mm springs.So I called them and a guy named Greg put a set together for me and sent it out.
    great service from a happy NHC owner.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted