close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Grip Screw Bushings Came Out

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by buyobuyo, Sep 10, 2011.

1. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    I took my RIA to the range this morning, and when I got back I did the usual cleaning. After I finished the general maintenance, I decided to give detail stripping it a try. When I went to take out the grip screws the bushings unscrewed instead. Is this a common thing? They screwed back in and snugged down without a problem which is good.

I also couldn't get the ambi safety to come out, so I gave up on my detail stripping ambitions for the time being. I did manage to find a video on YouTube, so I know I was going about the right way of taking it out. Apparently, I just wasn't pulling hard enough.

2. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    the screw can be tighten down with some blue or red loctite. This should help it to stay in.

3. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    They are usually staked on. As mentioned you can use loctite. Also check you grip screws so see if there is an issue with it.

4. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Thanks for the info. There wasn't any staking that I could see. Are they staked from the inside of the frame or the outside? I probably wont bother with grips again until I find/buy a set of grips that I like. Then I'll probably just get new bushings and screws at the same time.

5. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    staked from the inside of the frame.

6. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Thanks again. Just double checked looking up the mag well and there is definitely no staking.

7. deadite

deadite #15 to Register! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    I had one of the bushings unscrew from a Delta Elite. In the attempt to screw it back in, the threads totally buggered up making them unusable. The threads on those are so fine and fragile. Fortunately, I had another left over from switching out the bushings on my Dan Wesson.

deadite

8. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Yeah. I was a little worried about how fine the thread pitch is, but I just turned the screw/bushing backwards until I felt the start of the thread go past each other.

9. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Thanks again to all for the advice. I found a set of grips that I liked and ordered them. I also picked up new C&S bushings and grip screws, and I have a couple more questions for you all.

1) The left-side bushings protrude into the magwell ever so slightly. It doesn't appear to affect magazine function from a quick check with my mags. However, I'm thinking it would be better to go ahead and file them flush now, so I don't find out that it is a problem at a match. Is it better to file the bushings while they are installed in the gun or out of the gun? My thinking is that if the bushings are filed while in the gun the threads will clean themselves of any burrs when the bushings are removed.

2) I'm going to use red loctite on the bushings to keep them from coming loose. However, I am wondering if there is a torque spec for bushing installation or is a light snugging good enough.

3) Same question for the grip screws, but I'll be using blue loctite.

10. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    I wouldnt suggest using loctite on grip screws. Try #60 "O" rings. That'll keep the screws from backing out.

claire

11. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
  12. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    You can also pick up the O rings at like Home Depot. I think they have a 10 pack for under $3

claire

13. grainfed

grainfed Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
    buyo..........I've had this happen too many times. I've had the screw AND bushing come out together with the grip. Pull out the bushing and screw and hit the bushing with RED loctite and screw them both back in the grip and torque it down TIGHT!! Allow to dry overnight and the next morning commence to take out the screw. The screw is not in as tight as the red, loctighted bushing. It should come out fine. If the bushing protrudes past the inside of the grip, get your small Nicholson file and smooth her down after it is in the grip. It should most likely never come out again.

tw

14. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Tighten the bushings to where they contact the frame, then 1/8 of a turn more.
    Blue LickTite will be fine on the bushings.

NO LockTite on grip screws, use fingernail polish,........I prefer clear.

15. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    blue on bushings is all I'll use. The O-ring trick is very effective but it has a detractor for me which is my screws stick up over my grips, obviously they don't screw down enough, like the counter-sink in the grip is too shallow. Actually the last time my bushings came out with the screws was due too O-rings. Everyone owes it to them selves to try things but for me the Orings no worky/undesireable.

16. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Thanks again to all for the advise. I'll give the blue loctite a try on the grip bushings and nada on the grip screws. If I need something on the screws, I'll give the nail polish a try.

17. Hatter

Hatter Makes **** Move

Aug 23, 2011
    How would one swap out the bushings if they were staked? What is the process for relieving the stakes?

18. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    I would think that you would just unscrew them and then either run a tap down the hole to make sure the threads are alright or re-tap it for an oversized bushing.

19. dnuggett

dnuggett Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Good call, I'll need to pick some up this weekend

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted