grip screw help.....

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Brad, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Brad

Brad Active Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I bought a sig Tac Ops last week and finally got out to shoot the damn thing (report up later tonight) today. I don't really like the grips so I wanted to replace them, probably order a set of the G10s for it later. So I'm taking them off, first three come off very easily. 4th screw doesn't seem to be fitting the key deep enough. Brownells magnatip set works great normally. This one wouldn't go as far down I didn't think, so I go to twist it, and without much force at all the tip just spins inside, so the head is stripped. Any ideas how to get it out without breaking the grips? I've tried to use the EZ out things before without any luck, but I'm wondering if there's an easy trick

2. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Sounds like you're describing an allen/torx type head instead of flat or phillips?

Bob

3. Twitch

Twitch New Member

Mar 1, 2012
    an electric iron works good like for soldering .

4. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    If the soldering iron doesn't work, and you can sacrifice the screw, hit it with a Dremel to cut a slot for a flat head screwdriver. Put a little painters tape over the grip so if you slip you won't damage it. Go slow!!!

I've done this to several screws over the years, but never a grip screw.

5. Brad

Brad Active Member

Feb 19, 2012
    yea allen key.

gonna try the dremel

6. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    don't know if you have any, but a LEFT HAND drill bit approx the size of the screw's shank will usually catch and spin that sucker out quicker than you can blink! If worse comes to worse you'll end up drilling it out anyway.

Bob

7. dilespla

Oct 12, 2011
    Good point Arkie. I've got to remember to order a set. I had a bolt get stuck at work not too long ago and had to go to our local machine shop to borrow their lefty bits. It does work way faster than any other method.

8. wichaka

wichaka Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Craftsman (Sears) has a easy out set that includes left hand bits.

9. Brad

Brad Active Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Well I went to my dads as he has nearly a machine shop worth of tool in his garage, sure enough he had a bit made to spin backward and it came right out. Replaced it and it's good as new.

Thanks for the help y'all

10. dilespla

Oct 12, 2011
    Glad you got it worked out.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted