1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, this guy in my office decided at his wife's urging they need a gun. He relates to me at the LGS, one of the better in town, there are 50 people in this 1,500 square shop all buying anything they can get ammo for.

People are buying 20 gauge and .410's cause they are out of 12 gauge ammo but have a few 12 gauge shotguns still in stock. But what's a gun without ammo? Just a hammer or club I guess.

People are buying .380's and 38 specials cause they are out of 9mm and 357 magnum.

He said 35% were single women and the rest were guys that didn't know which end of the gun to hold.

This is the single largest "fear trade" I have seen in my short lifetime.

Scottsdale Gun Club, a very well stocked and deep inventory store, is limiting ammo to one box, their Glock case was virtually empty, revolver case virtually empty --the wall of AR's 65% gone, home defense shotgun, nearly out of stock

What are you guys seeing if you are getting out?

IDK anymore.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
There are two rules I always follow when trying to gauge how the consumer markets will act:

1.) never underestimate the power of the American consumer
2.) never underestimate the ignorance of the American consumer

unfortunately there are a lot of very stupid people in this world

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Don't get out, have been home bound for a couple of years. I'm used to it, the alone part. All I see online is "Out of Stock" for most ammo, Guns? Dunno, there is stuff i'd be interested in, but just gonna wait and buy more ammo once it is available again

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
There are two rules I always follow when trying to gauge how the consumer markets will act:
1.) never underestimate the power of the American consumer
2.) never underestimate the ignorance of the American consumer
unfortunately there are a lot of very stupid people in this world
Maybe I should become an LGS... short term!

rocket gun 2 gif.gif

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I haven’t been to a gun store in .. can’t remember when. I buy shotgun shells from one of the clubs in bulk (5-15k at a time) cause we shoot in bulk. I buy reloading components for handguns stuff online and try to keep six months at a time on hand. At one time that was 10k or so, but our pistol shooting has slowed some since we started shooting more shotgun and building a house.

On another note, we’re in good shape with what we need .. and what we need to keep it “ours.” We have upped our security posture just a tad though. Was pretty tight already.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I’ve not been to any sporting goods store in A LONG TIME, but from what I’m seeing online, this deal is shaping up to be a replay of 2012.

I actually listed some 40 and 10mm ammo for sale this morning on a local classified, and I’m probably screwing myself by asking less than retail for it. I don’t shoot either caliber anymore and just want rid of it.

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,776 Posts
I can weather this storm without shopping . Learned my lesson during Obama years .
Exactly, especially since I don’t shoot very often. I have more than enough for any APOCALYPSE
I am going to stop at FFF and maybe Cabelas on my way just to see what’s going on.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I just picked up a new Hellcat yesterday and a couple boxes of HST. I’m not worried about things, Just planning on getting my carry permit this summer and finally made a decision on my carry gun. It’s a small town and small store. A guy I graduated from high school with owns it so I try to support it. No panic. Sold a lot of ammo he said but no run on anything. Now I need to look for a holster.
IMG_2953.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,771 Posts
Okay so statistics say that China is pulling out of this with the first case appearing Dec 30 2019 less than 3 months barely 2 and they are on their way out.. Out of 1.386 Billion people in China around 81,000 contracted the disease. And many less obviously died. Not real sure of the death tole, but the same story we have gotten here, those who were over 60, heavy smokers mostly men, and all with health issues.. So, why are we where we are with all of this? Our first case showed Jan 20th I think just about 6500 noted or confirmed cases..

Does anyone know anyone personally who has it? Or know anyone who knows anyone personally who has had it? The numbers seem incredulously low to be sparking the kind of panic that it is.. IMO

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Okay so statistics say that China is pulling out of this with the first case appearing Dec 30 2019 less than 3 months barely 2 and they are on their way out.. Out of 1.386 Billion people in China around 81,000 contracted the disease. And many less obviously died. Not real sure of the death tole, but the same story we have gotten here, those who were over 60, heavy smokers mostly men, and all with health issues.. So, why are we where we are with all of this? Our first case showed Jan 20th I think just about 6500 noted or confirmed cases..

Does anyone know anyone personally who has it? Or know anyone who knows anyone personally who has had it? The numbers seem incredulously low to be sparking the kind of panic that it is.. IMO
Closest I know of is, a guy that works with my cousin's husband, in Texas not CA, might have it. Waiting on test results.

So no I don't know anyone.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts

I’m pretty sure it’s been proven we can’t trust communist China to tell the truth about this situation. For now, I’m going to trust President Trump and the medical professionals that are advising him.
I’ve talked to both my sons this morning who work in the oil and gas industry, and so far, they both still have jobs. My youngest son said lay offs have started though.

·
Banned
490 Posts
The numbers seem incredulously low to be sparking the kind of panic that it is.. IMO
I've been saying that since day one. China's death toll amount to 0.00065% of their population. Statistically, that is ZERO. It may be a nasty virus once you have it but I still don't understand the panic.

I work with a young woman who is in tears because she can't go see her grandfather because he's old and she might have the virus. No reason to think that she might have the virus other than she's breathing but still . . ..

Maybe I'm missing something.

·
Banned
158 Posts
2 things.
1. I asked my girlfriend if she was glad now that I bought all these guns? She said why would I be glad? My answer, “Because we will be fighting in the streets for toilet paper. Lol

2. Is the Coronavirus the disease or the cure? Stole that from TV series Hunters.

·
Banned
158 Posts
I've been saying that since day one. China's death toll amount to 0.00065% of their population. Statistically, that is ZERO. It may be a nasty virus once you have it but I still don't understand the panic.

I work with a young woman who is in tears because she can't go see her grandfather because he's old and she might have the virus. No reason to think that she might have the virus other than she's breathing but still . . ..

Maybe I'm missing something.
Because you don’t know if you have it or not. Separation is the way to contain it.
I’m not a fear monger, but best to stop it early. How many people would have to have it before containment efforts begin?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Went to Costco yesterday, just needed dog food and wine. There was a line to get in, a little bit of a wait for the employee to wipe down my shopping cart handle and I finally went into the store. The first thing, one of the employees was standing by a pallet of toilet paper yelling "one to a customer", and plopped one in my shopping cart. I didn't need toilet paper. My wife called my daughter in Phoenix and sure enough she did so I bought it. They were out of the regular dog food, so I had to buy the organic chicken one, less weight more money. The liquor aisles were full so no issues there. Then there was a 1/2 hour line to get to the checkout counters. All in all a waste of an hour and a half, but I got to see the stupidity of humanity first hand. People stacking their cart with Cheerios, peanut butter, mayonnaise, and anything else that wasn't rationed. I get the Cheerios and Peanut Butter, but what does one do with 12 big jars of mayo. I went home and started to reload 9mm as I'm going shooting on Friday. I like the ammo shortage as I'm the only one shooting in my favorite spot. I've been reloading for 40+ years and it's seen me through a lot of these ammo shortages and price hikes.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts