Grips, Bushings, Screws, I'm Confused

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by BCD 45, Mar 15, 2019.

1. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    I've got 2 DW's with thin grips, and a NH Kestrel coming with it says Ultra thin Aluma-grips. I'm going to want to be changing these to standard or "thick" grips.

The more I read about changing grips, the more confused I become. I've heard the terms thick bushings, thin bushings, standard bushings, universal bushings, etc. Then staked, non staked, (I know what staked is), then loc-tite or no loc-tite. Then there's O rings. Do all grip screws use O rings?

I'm not sure if I needed them or even if I ordered the correct items now, but I ordered a Challis standard and slim bushing extractor. Are there only two size grip bushings, standard & slim or thin? Is slim & thin the same?

If someone could please explain this to me in easy to understand terms, I would greatly appreciate it or guide me to a you tube or an article that explains all of this. Please let me know also about O rings. Thank you very much.

Jim D

2. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    You just need standard. I would get the challis ones with orings. The orings help and keep the screw from backing out, especially with grips like VZ. I would also put a dab of red loctite on the bushing when installing the new ones. I don't believe NH or DW stakes there bushings, but I would use some heat like a hairdryer before removing the old ones. Challis are the best around.

FWoo45 and Steve Owens like this.

3. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Get challis standard bushings and orings.

tac45, FWoo45, Babboonbobo and 2 others like this.
  4. removed

removed Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2015
    I ordered some VZ Operator II's for my Pro Railed Springer, along with the O Rings, "Turbo" Screws (or whatever they call them) and bushings. I lucked out, and didn't have to change the bushings. I just used the new grips, o-rings and screws.

Here is some info that might help...
    https://vzgrips.com/faqs

5. shootin-blanks

shootin-blanks Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I don't know if DW or NH uses thread locker or not. But just to be safe, apply direct or in-direct heat to the ones you are trying to remove. Because if there IS some "stay-put" on the factory ones and you reef on them, you will likely bring the threads out with them. Bushings have very fine threads and don't always put up with a lot of torque. Soldering iron or wood burner works well, or grab a 16 penny nail with pliers/vise-grips and heat it up cherry red with the torch, then touch it to the bushing and let the heat transfer. The heat transfer method works great for warming up set screws on sights and similar things.
    I've always used a little "stay-put" when installing grip bushings.

O-rings help grip screws from working themselves loose with any grips harder then wood.

As always, your mileage may vary..

6. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    They don't, they'll come right out

7. dimedog

dimedog Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2017
    The Challis bushing removal tool(s) you ordered are worth every red cent you paid.
    The new Challis bushings you purchased will have a torque spec right on the package.
    IIRC 18 inch lbs. for an aluminum frame and 23 inch lbs. for steel frame.
    Torque these to proper specs then slip bushing O ring over bushing, place grip over O ring and bushing, place grip screw O ring on screw and tighten grip screws to 5 inch lbs.
    I've never had to use Loctite with the Challis system. I do recheck grip screw torque after first firing though. Happy shootin!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    tac45, FWoo45, duketbrd88 and 2 others like this.
  8. shootin-blanks

shootin-blanks Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    NICE, just watched the Challis video.. great removal idea and I LOVE "our workstation".

JeffK likes this.
  9. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    I was under the impression and always put the O ring that I purchased from VZ on top with the screw. The O rings that come from VZ are too small to go over the bushing.

10. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Thank all of you a bunch. I think the terminology used by different people had me confused. A lot of people use different words for the same thing.

I'm going to get at it and I guess the worst that can happen, if I don't screw up the frame, is that I'll mess up the bushings and have to buy more.

One more question please, how do you know what size O rings to buy? Thanks a lot and if there is anything else I should know, just please speak up. I guess I'll get the hang of 1911's but there is sure a lot to know & learn about. Thanks,

Jim D

11. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    They sell screw o-rings (obviously to go between the grips and the screw) and bushing o-rings (between the frame and the grip), to very different sizes

Babboonbobo likes this.
  12. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Capthobo,
    That confused me a little also.
    So AZ, your saying that you need to use a bushing O ring and a screw O ring?
    How do you know what size?

Jim D

Capthobo likes this.
  13. Capthobo

Nov 9, 2016
    I’ve had some G10 grips leave a permanent hash mark on blued guns. I recommend sanding the back sides of G10 or similar material with 400-600 grit to remove the hash or waffle pattern before installing to protect the integrity of the blue or anodized finish of the gun.

william adams likes this.
  14. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Do you all tighten the bushings and the grip screws by feel or do you use a in/lb torque wrench?

Jim D

15. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    You can use thin budhings with standard or slim grips. But, you cannot use thin grips on standard bushings. So I always recommend this bushing that way with grip desired will work.

duketbrd88 likes this.
  16. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    I was just going to add, you can use your standard grips with your thin bushings.

Just need the standard screws.

17. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Steve-Duke,

Awesome, thank you guys. I just need to buy standard length screws correct?

Do ya'll tighten by feel or a limited torque driver? Thank ya'll a lot!

Jim D

duketbrd88 likes this.
  18. Capthobo

Nov 9, 2016
    If using standard grips on thin bushings do not overtighten the grip screw. There is a chance of ruining the canalure ridge within the grip hole under the screw if over tightened.

Jollyroger1 and Babboonbobo like this.
  19. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    The rubber o rings for the bushing and the screws work best, then you can just snug. The bottom keeps the grips from rubbing to aggressively on the frame and the screw o rings help keep the screw from backing out.

BigJimP likes this.
  20. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Also if you play around with grips much keep at least one set of each size bushing that Challis sells, I do!!
    Standard, thin and ultra thin along with the o-rings and various screws.

joerockhead and Capthobo like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted