Guardian 9mm 2011 railed frame

Discussion in 'STI/2011' started by cdholmes, Apr 28, 2019.

1. cdholmes

cdholmes Member

Apr 28, 2019
    Hello everybody. Just signed up after creeping around the forums for a while. I am looking at picking up an STI for concealed carry, and have my eye on a Guardian 9mm for a good price. I do prefer a WML, so I was wondering if I could find a STI railed frame and swap it out from the stock frame. I've also looked at the DVC Carry, but they are out of my price range for now. I also would like to swap the grip for something thinner, as well as change out some of the controls to better fit my small hands. Thanks for the help.

2. Kadonny

Kadonny Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Welcome to the forum.

So are you set on high capacity? If not, sounds like the Staccato C will fit your requirements nicely, it's a great carry gun and reasonably priced too.

3. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    First of all welcome to the forum!

Now to get onto your post. How familiar are you with 1911’s? They’re more of a fine tuned piece of machinery as opposed to a farm implement plastic guns. You can not just swap a frame in without refitting a bunch of parts. This takes a skilled gunsmith to do.

The stock grips are pretty small to begin with. A 2011 grip is only 1/8-1/4” bigger in circumstance wise compared to a standard 1911 grip. Just a little wider side to side and a little shorter front to back.

The grips can be re-contoured and reduced. Extreme Shooters is the gold standard of people who do this. STI’s DVC & Costa line of guns use this grip. They even have a “maximum reduction” option for people with small hands.

A stock 2011 is easy to grip and control though. My 5’05” 120lb wife carries and shoots a 2011.

Have you considered a STI Tactical or Staccato-P? They use a railed frame, have a DLC finish and sport a Extreme Shooters grip. All for under $2k. The only difference is they have a .25” longer barrel.

4. cdholmes

cdholmes Member

Apr 28, 2019
    To be honest, I am not very familiar at all. The only reason I asked about the railed frame was because I have an opportunity to pick up a Guardian for 1200 and figured it would be cheaper to purchase it and find a railed frame rather than purchase a Tactical or Staccato.

5. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Well, if I may... There is a Staccato C in the firearms classifieds currently, priced at $1400.00.
    I don't think you'll be able to stay under $1400 purchasing the Guardian, and a railed frame. Of course that is a personal preference, and ultimately your decision. The C model isn't high capacity however, so if you're set on high cap, this may not be worth mentioning.
    Hope this helps.

6. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
  7. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    A frame will run you around $350 or more. It’ll be a couple hundred at best to properly fit the frame and corresponding parts. Grip work will run you about $125.

If you need a railed frame you’re better off finding a used Tactical. They should run you $1550-$1750 depending on condition and accessories.

That said I’m not a big fan of weapon lights on a a carry gun. Bigger and bulkier than I need. I own a lot of STI’s and a lot of cool guns but my most carried gun is a Guardian.

Kadonny likes this.
  8. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    You could also put an add on rail on the gun. Not the prettiest or most elegant solution but it’d work.

9. Kadonny

Apr 13, 2017
    Sorry but that's not going to be right. If you need a rail and want to stay on the cheaper side, either look for a used Tactical or look at the Staccaco C (as I stated in the first reply). There are a bunch of great carlly STI 2011s with rails, but most are much more money (DVC Carry, Costa Carry). To buy the Guardian and mod it will cost you more than finding a good used gun, so I'd go that route or live without the rail on the Guardian. The Guardian is a great gun and would be awesome to carry, it just doesn't have your rail.

The Deuce likes this.
  10. The Deuce

The Deuce Active Member

Feb 3, 2017
    Welcome to the forum!

I recently committed to properly vetting the STI platform and started a similar quest for the correct carry model for me.

I started with the DVC Carry host. I thought I wanted rail and RMR. Amazing choice but not correct for me. Quickly identified Rail and RMR not correct for my carry option. I’m over 6’ and 220lbs but with RMR and light no way I could conceal down hear in this Texas heat. So then bought the older DVC Carry without rail or RMR cut out and fell in love shooting it. It quickly replaced my EDC X9. However, the fish scales will let you know they are there when you carry. So this next week I bought STI Costa VIP but wanted one without rail. Don’t think I would have found one without rail if it wasn’t for this site. The Costa VIP is standard with rail and lower price point than DVC Carry so it might fit your needs.

The tactical models as mentioned previously by other members I’m sure are great I just don’t have any experience with them. So in true addict form I’m sure I’ll convince myself pick up a tactical model ASAP.

Good luck bro.

Kadonny likes this.
  11. Kadonny

Apr 13, 2017
    You got a hell of a gun Deuce with that VIP. I was staring at that classified ad and almost pulled the trigger. Congrats to you. Hope she shoots well for you.

12. The Deuce

The Deuce Active Member

Feb 3, 2017
    @Kadonny @Descartian

Thank you both of you for the education recently. After my latest research, I’m now on the hunt for even smaller versions.

The Guardian and didn’t even know about the Total Eclipse. I must find a Total Eclipse. ASAP.

Thanks again gents!

Kadonny likes this.