Guess what my next gun will be?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blue Ridge, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    A .22. Just a plain 10/22, except mine is going to be better than any 10/22 on the planet! Well, maybe that's a silly statement, but I'm building an heirloom quality shooter. I like shooting .22 rifles, and have never had a really nice one.

It all started when my Dad got me a .17 HMR for Christmas a couple of years ago. I have shot a fly on my target with that little tack driver!
    [​IMG]

Then I saw someone online who had rather customized his .17 HMR rifle:

[​IMG]

I've tricked out some rimfire pistols, but decided I wanted to do so with a rifle. Sad thing is, it gets into 1911 territory price-wise. I want it though, and you only live once. And it won't cost much to shoot, and there won't be another one like it. Or even almost like it!

Here's the rifle I'm basing my stock after:
    [​IMG]
    The owner of that rifle designed the stock himself, and "Tuck" made and finished it. In his own words he
    I am taking his design (that to my knowledge exists only on that rifle in the above photo), and having a piece of exhibition grade claro walnut made into its' shape. Here's some Claro walnut:
    [​IMG]

I have requested a single piece with vertical striping, burl/swirls okay, but try to avoid two tone. I should have a photo of the rough cut stock this evening. The tiger maple stock in the above photo is coated with orange candy high gloss automotive urethane. I am leaning towards natural, and probably less glossy, but there is plenty of time. We are probably looking at spring before the stock is finished. In the meantime, I need to look into scopes, barrels, triggers, receivers, etc. Leaning Kidd on some of it, can't afford the whole rifle built that nice, though. Well, I *could* but knowing I could have bought a Valor is one thing, knowing I could have bought a GI No-Name is another!

2. Blue Ridge

Nov 3, 2011
    Preview of the rough cut stock:
    [​IMG]

3. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    All that wood and a bull barrel gets heavy, quick, but they can be very purty!

Nothing wrong with paying for quality in a rimfire!

Volquartsen .17 HM2
    [​IMG]

Volquartsen .17 HMR
    [​IMG]

4. GoetzTalon

GoetzTalon Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Those .17's can shoot for sure. When we sited in my buddys ruger we used a NRA target but did not use the target itself. We used the little NRA symbol that is printed on the corner of the target!!! He has the 77/.17 all weather model with no mods to it and it will shoot one hole groups.

5. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
  6. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    As much as I like the .17HMR, I get more use out of my .17HM2s

This is minute of fly accurate and light enough to carry all day. It's a Ruger 10/22 receiver with a Volquartsen .17 HM2 barrel and bolt, mounted in an Archangel target stock, with a Nikon 2x-7x 32mm scope up top.

[​IMG]

7. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    You can't go wrong with a Kidd two stage trigger. My groups got even smaller once I put mine in.

Also, check out hidessertdog barrels. They are on the cheaper end price wise, but they shoot like a much more expensive brand.

8. Blue Ridge

Nov 3, 2011
    What a trip! And here I thought all you 1911 guys would think I was out of my mind for this project! :lol: Limb Killer, yours looks a lot like the very one that got to thinkin'!

Thanks for showing your rifles, and thanks for the barrel source, Dilespla!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2011
  9. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    Can I Play.,
    Custom 10/22 in .17HM2

[​IMG]

10. Blue Ridge

Nov 3, 2011
    I like that. I almost bought one of those stocks a few months backs, just to have on hand for the next 10/22 I ran across. Dwe, that's a sweet rifle. What is the deal with HM2, guys? Where do you get ammo? Part of the reason I was leaning .22lr was the cheap, abundant ammo. I like the .17HMR rifle I have but am just never in the mood to buy 500 rounds and make an afternoon of shooting it. I take the .22 pistols every trip out. I'm usually buying centerfire if it's 50 cents a round. I haven't built this thing yet, don't have the first part, in fact. I guess I could be swayed, you guys clearly like them better than .22's!

11. wade-19

wade-19 Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aug 17, 2011
    Nice stock Reef. I have a beautiful Claro walnut fingergroove stock that Tuck made. I still need to decide what other mods I want to ad to my 10/22, but for now it has a 19 inch GM Heavy Taper barrel and the Tuck fingergroove stock.

12. Blue Ridge

Nov 3, 2011
    PLEASE show me a picture!!!! I am dying to see how this stock will turn out. Did he just oil it, or did he coat it?

13. wade-19

Aug 17, 2011
    Here ya go. Really crappy IPhone pic . Does not do it justice
    [​IMG]

14. Blue Ridge

Nov 3, 2011
    Is that a satin finish? No way that's just oil on raw wood, right?

15. wade-19

Aug 17, 2011
    Well, he took a couple extra days to ship it because he said he wanted to put more coats of oil on it, so I guess it is just oil. Some places look wet everytime I pull it out of the case, so I doubt there is any finish on it.

16. Blue Ridge

Nov 3, 2011
    Nice, I'm just going to pay him, and let him do it however he wants! :lol:

17. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/rifle-ammo-17-mach-2

My Mach 2s like the Eley a whole bunch. The little .17 shoots flat and is great round in the squirrel woods. Head-shots are best, and the .17 provides the accuracy you need for that.

18. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    I had a Ruger 77/17 in 17 HMR that was an absolute tackdriver, but it got stolen from my apartment when I was on a deployment. My dad liked it so much he went out and bought a 77/17 in Mach 2 and it drives tacks too! Mine also prefers the Eley Mach 2 ammo.

19. Blue Ridge

Nov 3, 2011
    Well, I've bought a few things today, a scope: http://www.natchezss.com/product.cf...e Scope AO Matte Finish Fine TrexPlex Reticle
    Rings: http://ineedmoregear.com/burris-signature-1-rings-med-blk-matte-420501
    Bipod: http://ineedmoregear.com/harris-engineering-series-1a2-mdl-brm-6-9-leg-notch-1a2-brm
    Barrel (half price today only for 12 days of Xmas sale): http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productdetail.aspx?id=323828

Now I need a trigger (still leaning Kidd), receiver, scope mount, etc. and maybe I'll hear from my stock-maker one of these days... Looks like even after all this I've got the better part of $1000 to go :(

Also picked up a stock for my future lightweight rifle: http://ineedmoregear.com/promag-archangel-10-22-dlx-target-stock-aats1022

20. Blue Ridge

Nov 3, 2011
    I guess you can't change a thread title. While Christmas shopping today, I got something very inexpensive that I've always kind of wanted, a Russian Mosin-Nagant. It's a 1942 model with matching serial numbers, with the typical bayonet and lug, canteen and ammo pouch. It shoots a very unAmerican 7.62 X .54 millimeter cartridge. It came in really heavy and greasy, after the war the Ruskies packed these things with grease on the inside and some kind of vaseline type crap on the wood to preserve them. I had to wash my comforter immediately after photos, and I even put cardboard underneath the bad parts. Anyway, this could have been someone's battle rifle in Russia during WW2, and that's kind of cool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It had the best metal of the 3 I had to choose from, I'll be refinishing the stock soon. I'll put that in this thread, too next week or so. I was hoping to either finish my ultimate 10/22 build or grab another 1911 for myself this Christmas, but folks weren't buying enough fish this year! But for $120 out the door, it's a pretty neat piece of history.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted