Springfield Armory Guidance needed for new Mil-Spec Owner

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Georgian87, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Georgian87

Georgian87 New Member

Oct 30, 2019
    USGI 1911. I am not planning on turning this into a custom piece, but was thinking of several upgrades. I first plan to shoot the snot out of the weapon and then make a decision on how I want it modified to my tastes.

My first thought was to purchase one of the Harrison Designs retro GI dovetail rear sights and send the slide to Novak for their front dovetail and to possibly have a fiber optic sight installed. Next, a better trigger, perhaps a CMC or Wilson solid serrated type. I would like to stay with the standard grip safety, unless I can find a type that is similar in look to the GI version, but more comfortable to handle/shoot.

I plan to conduct a full review of the handgun to include pictures, bench/off hand groups from 7-25 yards, etc.

Overall, I want to keep the GI/retro look and feel overall, but improve handling and shootability where possible. Any input/recommendations would be greatly appreciated, along with the opinions of other Mil-Spec owners!

2. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    My advice is, don’t put money into it. Unless, it’s a forever type gun. Shoot it and decide whether or not you want to keep it before dropping another dime. I too, have a mil spec. [​IMG]

I’m not going to put any money into it. I’m saving for either a Colt, or another Dan Wesson, or maybe an sti staccato P.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    cgff, 1911obsession and HooDoo Man like this.

3. Georgian87

Georgian87 New Member

Oct 30, 2019
    My primary reason for wanting to update the trigger is because the factory trigger on my model has a plastic shoe......I do not know anything about the durability of plastic triggers in a 1911 style gun. They work in polymer striker fired guns, and it seems like the plastic trigger shoe would not have much stress imparted to it, but I just don't know. What is the consensus on plastic 1911 triggers?

1911fanatic likes this.
  4. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I’ve never seen a plastic FACTORY trigger on a Springer mil-spec

got a pic?

5. Georgian87

Georgian87 New Member

Oct 30, 2019
    See this (17:12):

Dub likes this.
  6. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    My father has had the black plastic shoe in his for years and no problems at all. At least one thing about the black plastic shoe is that it stays black and doesn't wear like the coated aluminum ones.

Steve Owens likes this.
  7. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Being who I am, I'mma thinking it's like silicone in breasts. Some guys like them, others, not so much . . . . .

HooDoo Man and simonp like this.
  8. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Well I’ll be......didn’t know they were using poly triggers

9. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Id send it off to either @Karl Beining or @Steve Owens for sights and trigger job at the minimum, new MSH if that one has the Springfield ILS system. Replace the plastic trigger with a Greider trigger then shoot the hell out of the gun till you are ready for a full build / make over.

Dub, Steve Owens and HooDoo Man like this.
  10. jcc7x7

jcc7x7 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2019
    After you shoot the snot out of it!
    Get a trigger job done on it so it's nicer/easier to shoot.
    Might as well change the shoe at that point.
    Then!
    Shoot the snot out of it some more!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted