1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shok-Buff recoil buffers.
2B_1.jpg

I would suppose some of you might use these already. I've got a bunch ordered from Wilson Combat and will install them at some point. Is there any real benefit?

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,604 Posts
Waste of money, more potential for bad than good. All your gun needs is to be properly sprung.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My Wilson EDC X9 uses them with no issues. Also use them in a Beretta 92, so far no problems. Although these are not carry guns...yet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Cuz
When they wear, they start to come apart and some of the pieces have stoped the slide from cycling. They can also cause short stroking issues in some guns, usually but not always guns that are over sprung. Or right on the edge of being over sprung.

Remember to change them at the first sign of pieces coming apart on them. Or send them back and get something else.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Shok-Buff recoil buffers. View attachment 458931
I would suppose some of you might use these already. I've got a bunch ordered from Wilson Combat and will install them at some point. Is there any real benefit?
Nope, they cause more problems then they offer any real help. I've pulled them out of malfunctioning 1911, because it's they first thing I look for even in pristine shape

·
Registered
608 Posts
I used them for years when the USPSA power factor was 175. I changed them out regularly and never had a problem. It won”t hurt anything to give ‘em a try but they are not really necessary unless you’re shooting a lot of +P.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Some guy hate them, and rumors have arisen as to buffers causing malfunctions.
After years of using buffers in the Military I've never had an issue despite chewing many up pretty well. Must have always purchased good batches?

·
NRA Endowment member
3,145 Posts
Thou would have found the answer thou seeks if thou used the search engine provided on home page options. Lol

It may have possibly saved you some dinero!

Reactions: Greg45acp

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,043 Posts
I had a friend who ordered a long slide super grade classic. On our first range trip we couldn't pull the slide back far enough to chamber a round. We had to use the slide release. He called Wilson and the CS rep said take the shock buff out and throw it away, lol.

We did, the gun racked fine after that.

Reactions: FWoo45 and WC145

·
The Tinker
3,367 Posts
I've used them for decades, in both carry and competition pistols. Never had a failure.

But they need to be fitted properly, and I checked them at every cleaning, replacing when necessary.

Reactions: Pedro

·
Registered
823 Posts
Pretend that this is the first time you've heard this:
A solution looking for a problem!

Smiles,

Reactions: HawkEye and WC145

·
Registered
608 Posts
I bet Bill Wilson laughs every time he sells a pack of those.
Why? When I was launching 160 grain .38 Super bullets at 1100 fps I liked having them in there. The gunsmith who built my gun seemed to think they served a purpose too. But, heck, I guess I was wrong. Damn.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,604 Posts
Some guy hate them, and rumors have arisen as to buffers causing malfunctions.
After years of using buffers in the Military I've never had an issue despite chewing many up pretty well. Must have always purchased good batches?
Why on earth would "the military" put Wilson Shok-Buffs in their 1911s? Anything you stick in a gun that shortens slide or bolt travel is threat to reliability and proper function, hardly the kind of thing you'd want to do to any gun used by "the military", LE, or for self defense.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts